JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"No remote found" with homemade JP1.2 cable
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srwalter wrote:
From the above, it sounds like if I manually pulled pin 4 to ground, and then momentarily connected pin 2 to ground, I should not see any LED blinks. However, if I perform this procedure, I do see two blinks and the remote is normally operational.

I just tried this on my RS 15-135 remote. When I simply let JP1 pin #4 float (high) and cycle JP1 pin #2 by grounding/releasing it, I see the 2 LED "reset" flashes. When I ground pin #4 first as you did and cycle pin #2 the same way, I do not get the 2 LED flashes. And pressing buttons on the remote does not light the LED, so I can probably assume that it's correctly gone into serial comm mode.

srwalter wrote:
Does that mean that pin 4 is not correctly connected inside the remote? Realize that with the RS 15-100 I had to add a ribbon cable to the PCB in order to access the JP1 pins.

Yes, it's very likely that your RS 15-100 mod may have a flaw. I'm glad you reminded me about this. It actually crossed my mind and then I foolishly forgot about it while addressing the other stuff.

By the way, after I posted last night, I tried that 'comtest.exe' app I referred you to under Linux+Wine. The first few times I ran it, it came up, but the expected pop-up dialog to set the COM port settings was nowhere to be found, so it appeared as if the app was locked up. On a later run, it worked as expected at first, but then the pop-up dialog wouldn't disappear, making it effectively locked up again. I also ran it under Windows and confirmed that you can easily use the 'Ctrl-R' hotkey to toggle the 'RTS' setting on then off and you will see 2 LED flashes if your interface (and RS 15-100 mod) are working correctly. You can do that over and over and you should see 2 flashes each time.

Bill
srwalter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed there was a connection issue inside the remote for pin 4. After repairing that, I can now manually put the remote into serial comms mode and also reset it to normal. In fact, once I have manually put the remote into serial comm mode, I can use a MAX232 TTL-RS232 driver to talk to the remote; IR now successfully uploads and downloads from the remote.

However, the JP1.2 circuit still has trouble. I also noticed that the IR led gets hot when connected to the JP1.2; so hot in fact that I blew up the transmitter and had to replace it with a radioshack part. wtf?!
srwalter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I think the problem was that I'm only getting like 1v between pin 1 and pin 3 of the remote. Rather than chase that down, I'm going to use an external power supply (which is effectively what I had with my MAX232 circuit).
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: