JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adding Memory?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidEC2955

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Adding Memory? Reply with quote

Can a person add/change memory on a JP1 remote?

It seems that a number of hardware purchases no longer have built-in codes so have to build and upgrade and have run out of memory on all of my remotes!

HTPro
RCA 810(A&B?)
(really love the next two!! as the "33" was a Christmas gift from my wife!)
Radio Shack RC-15-2133
Radio Shack RC-15-2107

Devices that I am trying to add are:
Sony Receiver
Vizio 19" LCD TV
Proscan 19" LCD TV
Sylvania 15" LCD TV
DirecTV HD+DVR HR20-100 & HR21-100
Magnavox DVD+/-RW (Two different machines one also with VHS Dubbing)
. . . . . & RCA & Zenith DTV converter Box as recorder has no tuner.
Toshiba HDA2 (HD-DVD)
Panasonic DMP-BD605K, (BluRay)
Insignia NS-BDLIVE01 (BluRay)
HDMI switch
A/V switch
This is just a part listing of the newer hardware where no built-in codes could be found.. then also trying to add macro's so that wife only has to push a single button to get all A/V switching done

And I could not find any working codes for many of these devices so having to learn/load them all.... and have run out of memory!!!

:David
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is precisely the situation that forced me into an extender. I ran out of memory. Switching to an extender allowed me to keep my existing remotes. Unfortunately this also led me into an extreme case of JP1-obsessive-compulsive-disorder. Rolling Eyes I'm not sure what features are available in the extender for your remotes. I was lucky enought to have stumbled into the 8811 extender which was a full featured extender which caused me to "need" the same features on every remote I own! When they were not available it caused me to write the dreaded things myself.

Have you tried an extender?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few models allow you to change to a larger memory device and for those the desoldering and soldering would be far beyond anything I would attempt.

The 8811 is one of the models where larger memory is possible.

After increasing the memory, I don't think use of the remote is practical without an extender (you can program and use the remote without an extender, just not very well).

Most models would not work at all if you replaced the memory chip with a larger capacity chip.

Using an extender may allow you to get better use of the memory you have.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the RemoteChart spreadsheet, the 15-2133 can support an EEprom greater than 2k. This kind of surgery is very fine work, and way beyond anything I'd care to try. I think you'd have to use an extender to take advantage of the expanded e2 area.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall the 15-2133 being one of the models supporting a larger EEprom. I'm not sure either way. If anyone is considering doing that tricky soldering, they ought to check some more reliable source than the RemoteChart before making that decision.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a few opportunities to save memory using different upgrades for some of the above. If you use one of the new DirecTV upgrades like THIS one, it uses less memory than some others (thanks to John's (I think) smaller protocol). You may be able to rework your sony to use a simpler protocol by dropping some commands you don't need.

You may have to replace some devices entirely with learns. This is usually the opposite of what JP1ers should do, but in your case it will free up some upgrade memory.

If you're not already doing this, the main thing you can do is dedicate certain remotes to certain rooms. I can't think of a good reason to have every device in your house on one remote. If, for example a third of the devices listed above are in one room, put just those devices on one of your remotes and keep it in that room.

Even if you could add more memory, it will be impossible to add the number of devices you listed (15 at least) to any of your remotes without an extender and a device multiplexer. Even without your 2 switches, there isn't a JP1 remote that can handle that many devices without multiplexing, AFAIK. They're aren't enough device buttons. Even a $400 harmony can only handle 15 devices.

Newer remotes have more built-in codes and more memory, if you're open to that. They're very cheap on ebay, amazon and in the marketplace on this forum. The URC-10820N is a new 10 device remote you may want to consider. However a new remote also requires a new cable.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You may have to replace some devices entirely with learns. This is usually the opposite of what JP1ers should do, but in your case it will free up some upgrade memory.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought IR7 was changed to allow upgrades to overflow into other E2 areas. So the number of upgrades are not an issue.

Quote:
Newer remotes have more built-in codes and more memory, if you're open to that. They're very cheap on ebay, amazon and in the marketplace on this forum. The URC-10820N is a new 10 device remote you may want to consider. However a new remote also requires a new cable.

The special protocols like multiplexing, have not been reworked for the 10820N so right now it only handles 10 devices. I can't find a 10820N locally and since I'm traveling won't be able to mail-order one until January. Even though the tweaks "should" be minor, I've had some nasty surprises with extenders in the past and would not attempt them without being able to bench test them prior to posting them here. But it seems that David has been reluctant to try any extender if he's the David that I remember.

Edit, wow half a paragraph went missing.

Last edited by vickyg2003 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ellen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The URC-10820N is a new 10 device remote you may want to consider. However a new remote also requires a new cable.

Is there a "new" version of the 10820 out? Or are you folks talking about the same old 10820 that has been available for years?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is. But don't get too excited. It has a few more codes and protocols than the old one, but is otherwise identical. Amazon is the only place I've seen them. But you'd never know it because it's listed as a 10820.
Ellen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn. I had gotten excited there for a minute. It's pretty sad when something as mundane as a new remote gets one excited Surprised
DavidEC2955

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input...

It is looking as if I will be leaving the JP1 world here soon Crying or Very sad

Due to the fact that the 15-2133 was a gift I can not sell it but have listed the other remotes in the "Market" area.

The 'Harmony' remotes that I have been looking at are all 'referb' due to price! They also claim to support up to 15 devices. Missed out on the Amazon Harmony 890 sale yesterday! But looking at 520 or 659 or 688... all in the less than $40 price range.

Thanks for all the help over the years!!

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harmony refurbs are cheap and very easy to program, so I can't blame you. Do hang on to at least one learning JP1 remote as you'll need it for teaching macros longer than 5 steps and for adding any discretes which might be missing from the harmony database.
jetskier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it? Why would you have 3 or 4 TVs on one remote? Or is each remote tied to a TV. Anyway....

I have a 10820 for each room with a TV and have plenty of memory without an extender.

For reference, my equipment for each remote are:

4 dish sat receivers on separate remote addresses,
1 DVD
1 network media player
Elan A/V whole house system (required protocol upgrade $0090)
X10 for lighting control (required protocol upgrade $013F)
TV (models vary)
A/V Receiver

I have 11 device upgrades and two protocol upgrades and tons of keymoves and macros. IR was tweaked so you can use some of the learned area for upgrades if you fill it up the upgrade area (at least it works on the 10820).
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of points. Extender should be a non-issue as Device Upgrades will overflow into the Keymove and Learning areas (like on the HTPro - one of my favorite remotes). But with all of those devices, you can STILL run out of memory in a standard 2Kb EEPROM JP1 remote. The newer JP1.3 remotes have up to 4kb of memory in their Flash ROM (Like the Atlas 3033 sigs) which MIGHT be able to accomodate your needs. You'd still need the extender in order to multiplex, so that may be a consideration. Even though you cannot buy them direct from a vendor, they seem to be rather prevalent on eBay.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
DavidEC2955

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskier wrote:
I don't get it? Why would you have 3 or 4 TVs on one remote? Or is each remote tied to a TV. Anyway.........

Well at night my remotes seem to grow legs and like to gather together at night in one room.. never the same room!!
{My wife swears she is not moving them around from room to room!}

So I have learned it's best to try to teach all the remotes all the tricks that I can so when they do gather together, and I have to chase them apart, I don't have to remember which room it belonged in.. I think that maybe if I find them the right room they will stay put and not have their near nightly gathering... one morning I found all my JP1 remotes and about seven of my OEM remotes all in the same room!!

Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: