JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I have hex code, now what

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrmcarter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: I have hex code, now what Reply with quote

Greetings all.

I am completely new to JP1 and actually stumbled upon it through work. Excuse my ignorance.... Surprised Basically, I have a bunch of TVs that were never released to the public. They were prototypes in the works when the company went bankrupt. So... they don't have remotes.

However, the company did create the programming for the remotes, so I have access to a table that contains button functions with corresponding hex codes. I plan to buy some OFA's, build a cable, and program the remotes through KM and IR. Is this possible?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably doable. However, you need more than function numbers. First, it is necessary to know whch IR protocol was used. The protocol defines the temporal pattern of light pulses which represent a 0 or 1. Typically, the signals contain redundant data which is used for error avoidance or detection, e.g. checksum bits. There are a few dozen schemes which implement those two aspects.

Most protocols also use a device number and sometime as subdevice number.

Maybe we can tell all of that from your list of hex codes. Why not post them into the Diagnostics area of the File Section, and post a link here?
Or maybe some of that info is at the top of the list?
mrmcarter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7440

This is the file I have. Usable?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easy one is Form30, the RC-5 protocol. The Custom code is the device number (0), and the digit keys, vol, and mute and channel will all work with any UEI remote that has code 0054. There well may be other setup codes, but 0054 was the first on the list.

The protocols labeled NEC-N and Mistubishi look to be very standard. I am less clear about the NEC 16 protocol, but it likely has a two byte format.

I have never heard of a Tevion protocol.

Edited: the Form 16 NEC-N device 9 function codes match TV 1826, said to be used by Soyo.
Considering that the RC-5 device 0 and NEC-N device 9 are very similar to established protocols, I'd say that your chances of making most of these work with a cable are very good. It seems that the protocol names are close to the terminology used here, and custom code has apparently the same meaning as device code. Even better news: it isn't necessary to read all the bits in reverse order or to complement the binary values.
mrmcarter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By TV1826, do you mean that the control programming exists in OFA remotes already?

I actually found a box of Nebula Taurus OEM remotes with manuals, but I don't see an 1826 code anywhere. The programming is all 5 digits. Sorry for being so noobish Embarassed
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click the Lookup Tool link at the top of this page, then do a Device search for TV 1826. Then click in the remotes column to list the OFA remotes that have this code (11826 actually, where the leading 1 means TV). You'll see a couple of new remotes that have that code, including the URC-10820N (and 8820N) on amazon, and the RCA RCRP05B from best buy. You won't find that code in any remote more than a few months old. TV 0054 (or 10054), on the other hand, is very common. It's on just about every remote. I've never heard of the remote you mentioned, but as far as I know it's not a OFA, so the codes would be different.

So 3FG found some existing codes for some of the devices on your list. But you'll still need a cable to load the others, which looks quite do-able with a little trial and error.

FYI when we talk about device codes, it's the last 4 digits that count. The leading digit on 5 digit codes represents the device (1 for TV, 0 for CBL/SAT, 2 for DVD/VCR and 3 for Audio). So TV 1826 on an older 4 digit remote is equivalent to 11826 on a newer 5 digit remote.
mrmcarter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nebula Taurus, as far as I can understand, is an OEM remote made by UEI for direct sale to television manufacturers.

The manual is found here

Based on mdavej's info, I'd say it's safe to assume that these remotes don't contain TV 1826 since they're a bit older. Since I have so many though, I'd rather buy an interface and pursue adding that code to the JP1.3 Nebula Taurus remotes than buy new remotes all together. Will this be possible?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Are you certain they're JP1.3 (could be JP1, JP1.1 or JP1.2 depending on how old)? Different versions require different cables. Someone will also have to create an RDF, Map and Image for that remote, which is do-able, but no small task.

If you bought another JP1.3 remote in the mean time, you could at least make all your device upgrades and test them. A good JP1.3 remote like THIS one is only $8 shipped on ebay ( or $6.50 in bulk). There are others here in the marketplace forum as well. You need to confirm your remotes are JP1.3 first. What's printed on the board next to the pins?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick search of the manual shows that there is no 1826 available in the Nebula remote, as expected
mrmcarter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remote is definitely a JP1.3.

Where do I go from here if I am to focus solely on the NEC16 protocol?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to need a cable. Go ahead and order it (and if the opening for the JP1 connector is small, get the $10 adapter also) from Tommy Tyler. See the Marketplace forum below. Get the software downloaded (RM and IR, plus USB drivers).

I strongly recommend that you separate investigating the protocols that the TVs use from the effort required to put together a RDF file for the Nebula remote. That means buying one JP1.3 remote for which a RDF already exists.

If you really want to avoid buying a remote, you could wait for the cable, hoping that the innards of the Nebula turn out to match some already known remote. If they do, then the RDF problem would be taken care of. It is unlikely to be that easy.

Once you do get the cable, do a raw download of the remote and post it. Maybe someone will have the time to help decipher the remote. But while that is going on, you can be learning how the TV protocols work.
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
(and if the opening for the JP1 connector is small, get the $10 adapter also)

The adapter should no longer be needed if you're buying a JP1.2/JP1.3 cable from Tommy Tyler:

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: