JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Newbie to JP1, what do I need?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Newbie to JP1, what do I need? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a newbie to JP1, I really only just found out about it although I've wondered what the connection on the One-For-All remotes was for. I would really appreciate any input on what I will need to get and where I can get it from. Guidance on anything else to do with JP1 would be great too!

I've got a One-For-All Kameleon 6 and I'd like to customize it more than I think is possible using 'approved' methods. Here is an example of what I would like to do -

I have a Microsoft Windows XP Media Centre PC which I've found I can control using the Internet download for a Microsoft VCR, code 1972, I can access almost all I want from the download, and easily add the other bits using the Learning capability. However as the device is in the VCR category it has two 'screens', basically one contains the navigation keys, the other the tape transport keys (Play, Stop etc.), this is real pain when using MC as you browse and play MP3's using a combination of the navigation and transport keys. If these commands were available from a DVD device it would be ideal, but there are no codes for MC on a DVD device. Ah, but I could just use the learn function from the MC remote on a DVD device right? No, because if I do that it does not learn correctly (and neither do several other learning remotes I have, e.g. the one that comes with the Denon 8303 Av Amp). For example the navigation keys will work for one key press only, then you have to press another key to get them to work again. So what I want to do is to map the key codes from the Microsoft VCR 1972 onto a DVD device, for this I assume I can use the JP1 interface, I just don't have a clue what I need to do to use it!!!

Thanks in advance,

Richard
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start here to get all the tools required.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, I can tell from Richard's spelling (ie, "centre") that he's English, so the Kameleon he's talking about is the URC-8060.
RichardP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'm English and the remote is the URC-8060!

I've downloaded the various software bits from the Yahoo! Groups site and organised to get a JP1 cable. It will take a while before I can get the hardware side up and running - time to do plenty of reading I think!

In the mean time I've been trying out the 9-9-4 key copy facility, which is not documented in the URC-8060's manual! I've managed to achieve almost all that I want by setting up a DVD device and then copying the keys from the VCR device.

However I still have one problem, the Track skip buttons. These are not included in the 1972 VCR code (as the VCR does not have track skip buttons) and I can't get the learning facility to work. The problem appears to be that the Media Centre (Center) remote transmits two codes alternately (probably adds a code at the start or end when indicates if it is an odd or even command) which means that the option only works once, then you have to press some other key (pause for example) which re-sets the system so it will take the previous command again. I can't see any logical reason for this except to prevent people from using learning remotes, thanks Microsoft!!

So my requirement has probably become a bit simpler, having downloaded the Microsoft VCR 1972 VCR code set, which overcomes the odd/even problem with the other keys) is it possible to program the Track skip keys using any other method (including JP1)?

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: