JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

suggestion for extinstall

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asinsh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: suggestion for extinstall Reply with quote

When I installed extender2 for the 2116 last night and it carried over my keymoves, device selections, upgrades, macros, etc. I was quite pleased. I was even more pleased when I saw that it had gratuitously set up for me simple macros on unused device keys and the phantom 1 key that in effect fully defined those device keys (e.g. CBL was given a macro that reads DEV_CBL; phantom 1 and then phantom 1 was given a macro that set all of the types of buttons to the active device; similarly SAT was given a macro that reads DEV_SAT; phantom 1; etc.).

But the one thing extinstall didn't do was to convert each of the device key calls I had in my already existing macros into the corresponding 'DEV_' key. For example, if an existing macro says TV; power; Audio; power, etc., I would think it would be useful for extinstall to change that to DEV_TV; Power; DEV_AUD; power, etc. This would probably help people with lots of macros who are converting over to the extender for the first time.

Am I corrrect that it would be as simple as having extinstall change every occurrence of a device key to the corresponding DEV_ command in every macro, or is it more complex than that?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a little more complex than that. How do you know it isn't correct to invoke the nested macro to fully select the device? Not all extenders use that DEV_ convention. Should extinstall make such assumptions about button naming rules?

Actually extinstall is doing much less than you gave it credit for above. It is just merging the macros and keymoves from your configuration with the macros and keymoves from the extender's hex file. The phantom 1 and other things you mentioned were put in the extender hex file by the author of that extender.

Anyway, the source of extinstall is available and pretty simple C++ code if someone wants to add some features.
asinsh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, John. I had incorrectly assumed that the extinstall program was just for this particular extender and this particular remote. If that assumption had been right, I think my suggestion would have been workable since I think that the unextended 2116 does not permit nested macros so any reference to a device key in a macro written for the unextended remote would (I think) necessariily have been an attempt by the macro writer to put the remote into the mode of that called device.

Anyway, this only comes up the very first time someone switches to an extender so it's no big deal one way or another.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asinsh wrote:
the unextended 2116 does not permit nested macros so any reference to a device key in a macro written for the unextended remote would (I think) necessariily have been an attempt by the macro writer to put the remote into the mode of that called device.

No unextended remote allows nested macro, so the above is true whenever extinstall is used on an unextended input file (knowing whether the input file was extended is another question, but a reasonable kludge is pretty easy). None of that is the hard part.

One hard part is the last use of a device key in a macro from an unextended remote. Any use but the last seems clear that it is better replaced with the temporary form of the device selection command. The last is trickier in a number of ways, including differences between extenders on X_ vs. DEV_ temporary selection (which doesn't actually matter when fixing a temporary selection, but does matter if mixing temporary with permanent.)
vasqued2
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it gets even more complicated if you try to convert from one extender version to another if they use different device selection mechanisms.

For instance, v1 of the 2116 extender uses the X_ device selection mechanism and v2 used the DEV_ selection mechanism. I think at least some of the 1994 extenders would have the same issue.

In the end, probably a lot of complexity for very little use.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: