JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ReplayTV 5000 Extender Troubles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocMCSE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: ReplayTV 5000 Extender Troubles Reply with quote

I originally posted on the Yahoo site but did not get to far, so thought I would bring my troubles here. The more I mess with this the more confused it becomes. I bought a new ReplayTV 5000 and immediately plugged the remote into my computer's JP1 plug. The remote would not let me download from the remote (it gave an error something like it did not have the correct device or protocol to download). I then decided to simply use the generic EEPROM image in IR, add the extender and upload back to the remote. I got the warning about the image not having the same signature (or something like that as reported in the readme files) and the upload took (as far as I could tell, the extender seems to initialize OK). Problem is the remote will not control the ReplayTV, although occasionally it will correctly power up/down the unit, but not all the time. Thomas Arnold (on his jp1.filebug.com site) has a file showing the various JP1 remotes and what they can do. One column is labled "Protocol/Extender" and it lists the ReplayTV 5000 remote as "No/Yes". That would indicate the remote does not accept protocol upgrades but will accept extenders, to me but I could be wrong. The extender for ReplayTV adds several protocols, so is this my trouble? I just got one more ReplayTV 5000 today and it's remote uploads to IR without any troubles being reported (which leads me to think the other 5000 remote is simply bad). I want to extend this remote like I have seen other's do on the JP1 site, but am just a little gun shy. Since the remote already includes the 1614 device code and the original protocol, do I simply "extend" the original IR image (without adding the 1614 device and it's upgraded protocol, 01 45) and upload it as is, or do I need the device/protocol upgrade?
DocMCSE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just messing around I took my newer ReplayTV 5000 remote and downloaded the remote to IR. Saved this image as old.txt and ran the command "extinstall r5kex1.hex "old.txt" "new.txt"" and I get the following error "Upgrade pointer at address $0100 points to $FFFF, which is out of range". That seems to remind me to the trouble IR reported on my other 5000 remote when I first tried downloading it to IR but I cannot be sure. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I was able to upgrade my OFA 8910 to include the extender and the upgraded ReplayTV device and protocols (to control both units seperately) so I am not 100% newbie to this stuff (not only did I add the ReplayTV's but also the 4DTV satellite upgrades and one I created on my own for the Sylvania TV/VCR/DVD combo (the last one was originally sent to the internal modem over the phone by the OFA support staff, but I copied the info. over to KM so that I would be able to recreate it without having to call OFA back).
DocMCSE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to further confirm that the first ReplayTV 5000 remote is bad, I added the device code for my Sylvania TV/VCR/DVD (0821, it is in the ReplayTV book but the remote gave the long flash when programming it, so I added the device I used from my OFA 8910) to the new RTV5k remote. This remote controls both the TV (limited to vol+/-, mute and power, by the un-extended remote) and the RTV5K just fine. I upload the same IR to the older RTV5K remote and it acts just like before (power on TV and ReplayTV works some of the time, but not all of the time and no other buton works at all). So do you all think it is safe to "extend" this new RTV5k remote (remember the error above I get when I tried to extend the new RTV5k's IR dump)?
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you create the device upgrade in the VCR mode? There're only a few button you can use in the TV mode on this remote.

BTW, the error message, "Upgrade pointer at address $0100 points to $FFFF, which is out of range", doesn't make sense to me because the upgarde area does NOT start at $0100 in the R5K remote that I know of. (It starts at $0010.) If this is not your typo, you may not have put correct RDFs in the same directory when you ran ExtInstall.

Hal
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise downloading the raw image from the "good" remote and loading it into the "bad" remote and see if the "bad" remote works normally. If this test works, it confirms that the bad remote is OK, if it doesn't work then maybe the bad remote really is faulty.

As long as you have a good raw image as a backup, there's absolutely nothing to lose in trying the extender. Even if you can't get it to work, you can alway re-load the saved image and be back where you started.
DocMCSE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hal and Rob, The device upgrade was a VCR type originally with only the Vol+, Vol- and Mute buttons defined. I have long passed this step and have been able to get the extender, my TV/VCR/DVD (all buttons as a VCR type) and both ReplayTV device upgrades into the thing successfully. I have done so without any new protocols (other than what comes with the extender). If I upload this working image to the older ReplayTV5K remote it does not work, so I an 100% convinced that the remote is simply bad (thank God for JP1).
Rob (Hal or anyone else who knows the answer for sure), I would love to add the protocol upgrade to the advanced ReplayTV like I use in my OFA 8910. Is it possible (without destroying the remote) to upgrade to the newer protocol? Additionally, does this protocol upgrade replace the original ReplayTV protocol, or is it in addition to the one the remote already knows about?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc,
You can still use protocol upgrades when you are running an extender.

This does not, however, answer the question of what's wrong with the "bad" R5k remote. Could you give me a break-down of the symptoms and what you've tried.
DocMCSE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
Thanks for replying I guess I am just a little worried to do much with the newer ReplayTV 5K remote until I find out for sure the older one was not messed up by me in the first place. Best as I remember (because I can no longer get this situation to happen again even after I reset the remote using the 981 setup code) the first download from the remote into IR from my first remote (we can call him BAD) failed with some warning that a device code was not assigned to any device and that either a key move or a macro would fail if I did not assign it to a button and if I wanted it to assign one for me. I said sure thing and then it told me the device did not exist (or something like that). The new remote (we can call him GOOD) did not have this trouble so I surmise that the BAD remote was otherwise modified before I got it from eBAY (even though it was direct ‘B’ stock shipped from DNNA as refurbished) or simply defective.

Now on to my next question, do I change my protocol for the two 5K devices in Key Master to use the ReplayTV (Simply) or the ReplayTV (Advanced) protocol. Somewhere I read that the ReplayTV remotes did not understand any advanced codes, so is there a good reason to use one over the other. Playing around I have added the discrete power on/off functions and they seem to work great, but I could not (using the original protocol) get the 3 minute skip to work. I know that both protocols are more efficient than the original protocol, but upgrade space is limited and if the “hacked” protocols don’t buy me much perhaps I should stay with the original protocol (which is native to the remote).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "3 minute skip" is really just a macro of the '3' and QS buttons. You can't generate it using the built in protocol, it's only possible with the "Advanced" hacked protocol because I added code to generate it.

If you have a Replay 5000 machine, you really don't need this function as you have Commercial Advance. If you want to use this remote with an older 2000/3000 series Replay, you can either use the advanced protocol or create a macro. (Macros are possible with the extender).

If you are handy with a soldering iron, you could also consider replacing the 1k EEPROM chip with a 2k, but Hal would have to comment as to how his extender will make use of the extra space.

So, bottom line, if you don't need the 3 minute skip, don't bother adding either of the hacked protocols.

For the "bad" remote, I would suggest purging the memory (In IR.exe it's Advanced > Purge Memory > $0400) then doing a 981 reset on it. You could not have caused the remote to go bad just by loading data to it's EEPROM. If it's a DDNA "defective" bought on ebay, it's not too surprising that there's problems.
DocMCSE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
The Purge took, the 981 reset took but the remote (even in this purely default mode) still fails to control the ReplayTV. This is a bad remote! As for the eBAY purchase, it seems that right toward the end of the 5k series DNNA took over an eBAY account and started dumping them in lots of 30 for quick sale. The shipping invoice came direct from DNNA ('B' stock) and DNNA even honored the purchase to allow me to swap out my original 4040 for a new 5040 at no cost to me, so you can see that they had the purchase information in their systems as well. (I got the unit for $329 + S/H already activated, and since I purchased it during the $50 rebate period have sent in the refund request. We will see if they will give me back the rebate amount later this year...That means I actually paid $329 - $250 (life service) - $50 (rebate) = $29......and to think I paid close to $700 for the original one (minus it's life time activation value of $250 still is a far piece from $29...Wink Perhaps I should call DNNA and get an RMA number for the defective remote??
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the "bad" remote do anything? I'm guessing the red LED flashes when you press buttons, etc but it sounds like it's possibly just not sending an IR signal. Have you tried programming in the code for your TV, and if so, does it control your TV?

If it fails the TV test, maybe you should just replace the IR-LED. It will be alot easier than trying to deal with a DNNA RMA.
DocMCSE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
The thing does power cycle the ReplayTV once in a while, but very infrequently. Yes the LED lights, and when I load the extender pressing the ReplayTV button activates the extender (4 short flashes), but it does not work. Lemme open it up (cannot be any worse off than it is now) and see if the IR has bad solder joints or something equally obvious.
DocMCSE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob (and all other folks who have tried to help me on this journey),
Well I opened up the remote and as soon as I touched the IR bulb, I say that on the other side of the PC board the solder joint was moving. Took out my trusty solder pencil and tacked it back down. Reset and reloaded my extended image (might as well go all the way) and lo and behold the remote works just like it should! THANKS!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: