JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Converting a protocol to HCS08

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcmurphy88

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Converting a protocol to HCS08 Reply with quote

So, I have this here URC-7781 and I'm attempting to use it in the States. Apparently no one imagined anyone would do that, as it has no DirecTV protocol (0x0162) installed for the HCS08.

I've dug around and found Protocol Builder, and a PB text file that corresponds to the DirecTV protocol I use in my (S3C80) 15-1994. I find it hard to believe that all I have to do is drop that into PB, change the processor descriptor and Presto!

I get the impression that with the S3C80 one had to write actual code and compile against library calls (where?), but in the HCS08 case it's just a string of parameters. Is this correct?
DirecTV since 1994 // HR20-700 (1TB) // HR21-700 (1TB) // Samsung PN59D7000 // Denon AVR3808CI // Panasonic DMP-BDT110 // Roku XDS // WD HDLive // RS15-1994 JP1.0 remote // Wired Ethernet // BA Micro90x 5.1
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Apparently no one imagined anyone would do that, as it has no DirecTV protocol (0x0162) installed for the HCS08.

This protocol was introduced after the HCS08 chip was discontuned. Its not in the HCS08 used in the U.S. either

Quote:
I get the impression that with the S3C80 one had to write actual code and compile against library calls (where?), but in the HCS08 case it's just a string of parameters. Is this correct?

Nope. This protocol requires a large amount of assembly code, almost 80 lines of code. I've hunted around and can't find anywhere that anyone has made the conversion.

To make the conversion you'd need knowledge of both assembly languages. When it was brought to the s3c8 it was merely changing 2 addresses, but to convert it to HCS08 requires each line to be translated. I can make the change, but I can't get to it until Wednesday.

Or if you have a burning desire to get into PB and a good understanding of assembly language, we can walk you through it. I don't want to stifle your curiosity.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, Rob, Mike or anyone else

If we make a HCS08 version of the Directv Protocol, can we start with the "Smaller Hacked Version" of the protocol, found in the file section? That is, do they take the same parameters? Hex, and fixed?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind. This HCS08 Version has been written and is available in RM form here

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4687

kcmurphy88

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Hadn't looked in the device updates, was looking in the protocol areas. Thanks to mdavej, too. Oddly, I had been hoping to hack this myself, but maybe this will give me the hooks and things I'll need for converting something else I find I'm missing.
DirecTV since 1994 // HR20-700 (1TB) // HR21-700 (1TB) // Samsung PN59D7000 // Denon AVR3808CI // Panasonic DMP-BDT110 // Roku XDS // WD HDLive // RS15-1994 JP1.0 remote // Wired Ethernet // BA Micro90x 5.1
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oddly, I had been hoping to hack this myself, but maybe this will give me the hooks and things I'll need for converting something else I find I'm missing.

Yes, I know EXACTLY how you feel. It took me forever to get over that hump of "hoping" to actually "doing." There are countless posts in the forums where Rob instructed me how to do it. I had such a hard time because I couldn't figure out what all the numbers meant. The assembler was relatively easy, there are only about 78 verbs in each assembly language, but the IR concepts were really tough for me. When I had my epifany, I wrote up the IR Protocol Primer.

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note about the DirecTV upgrade. It may not be obvious, but the function descriptions in parentheses are long key press functions. For example "play (slomo)" does play on a short press and slomo on a long press. These can be used in place of all the standard transport key functions, i.e., "play (slomo)" in place of "play", "fwd (skip ..." in place of "fast fwd", "30s slip..." in place of "f.fwd...", etc. Using these functions will give you the same behavior as the original remote.

BTW, I didn't figure out the protocol, I just used it in the upgrade. I think johnsfine did that (thanks, John). I don't remember who did the HCS08 version.
kcmurphy88

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Quote:
Oddly, I had been hoping to hack this myself, but maybe this will give me the hooks and things I'll need for converting something else I find I'm missing.

Yes, I know EXACTLY how you feel. It took me forever to get over that hump of "hoping" to actually "doing." There are countless posts in the forums where Rob instructed me how to do it. I had such a hard time because I couldn't figure out what all the numbers meant. The assembler was relatively easy, there are only about 78 verbs in each assembly language, but the IR concepts were really tough for me. When I had my epifany, I wrote up the IR Protocol Primer.

So, I got the URC-7781 to work for all my devices, and all the macros done -- thanks -- but I have some bug reports on the extender. I'll post those in the proper place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: