JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Public Release of JP1.x Serial (RS-232) Library Source Code

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Public Release of JP1.x Serial (RS-232) Library Source Code Reply with quote

Fellow JP1.x enthusiasts,

I'm very happy to finally announce the first public release of the source code for the JP1.x serial (RS-232) library!

I want to thank everyone who cooperated in bringing this initial public release of the source code to fruition. I especially want to thank Greg Bush, who wrote the initial version of this code and agreed to make it public. I also want to thank everyone who's provided updates and improvements over the years. If I've inadvertently left anyone off the list of authors in the source code files, please let me know and I'll rectify that immediately.

Simple instructions for building this library (for various platforms, including Windows and Unix/Linux/Solaris/etc) are included in the large comment block at the start of the main source code file. It has been successfully built using GNU GCC, MinGW, and Microsoft Visual C++.

Detailed information about what this newest release changes since the last (version 0.13, non-public) release are also found there. In brief, for Windows users, the most important change is a fix to properly preserve and restore the port settings of any opened RS-232 serial port, preventing 'IR.exe' and/or RMIR from trashing your serial port settings as they "hunt" for a valid JP1.x (Flash) remote control. For non-Windows (Unix, Linux, Solaris, etc) users, the important changes were already detailed in this thread.

This source code has been released under the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 3. Feel free to share it with anyone who might benefit.

I have some more changes planned to this serial library code, but for now, this 1st public source code release addresses the most serious problems that I was aware of. There are still some rough edges, probably brought on by the presence of multiple authors over time, like inconsistent indentation (including an unfortunate mixing of tabs and spaces), but I didn't want to make the differences too vast (cosmetically) since the previous (non-public) release. I intend to address those issues in the next release.

By the way, this release is known as version "0.14". For those unaware, this can be seen/confirmed in the 'Help'-->'About' dialog of either RMIR or 'IR.exe' (but only after some communication with the remote has been initiated in the latter utility's case).

At the moment, it is hoped and expected that the next releases of 'IR.exe' (version 8.01, due out soon) and RMIR (1.97) will include the compiled ('.dll' and, in RMIR's case, '.so') file(s) of this new library version.

If anyone has any questions, comments, suggestions, or even criticisms, don't hesitate to speak up.

Regards,
Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: