JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR8.01 Beta posted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR 8.01 RC5 posted

I have posted IR 8.01 Release Candidate 5. This corrects the bug concerning protocol notes that Liz reported. The only version of DecodeIR.dll included is now 2.37 as this is now officially released. I have also included the file DecodeIR.html and put a new entry on the Help menu to open it. This file has been updated to include the new protocols recognised by the dll.

The RC versions all announce themselves as IR 8.01 so that they can be posted as the mainstream version without recompiling. This is to prevent any nasties creeping in at the final stage! RC5 can be identified by right-clicking the .exe file and selecting Properties/Details. Its version number there is 8.0.1.11.

Liz, you found the tip of a substantial iceberg with that bug report! All sorts of actions could cause the protocol notes to get out of sync. Even sorting the Devices list, without touching the Protocols tab, would do it! The origin of the problem was the need for IR.exe to be able to handle remotes that have two upgrade sections, a device-specific one as well as the normal device-independent one. I think this is the case only in old remotes but I happen to have one, a URC-8550, which was useful for testing. Indeed, the URC-8550 seems to have all the odd features of the past that there ever were, which is handy for me!

The device-dependent upgrade section has a different structure from the device-independent one. Each device is linked to a particular protocol and the protocol is stored in-line with the device. This led the IR.exe designers to upload all protocols to the remote in the order of the devices that use them, rather than their display order on the Protocols page. Not a problem until notes were added, but notes are stored in the display order so anything that changes the order of either devices or protocols on their IR pages messed up the protocol notes. It seems that the developer that added notes forgot about device-specific upgrades, as another problem was that notes for upgrades present only in the device-specific section (some upgrades are in both) were not saved at all.

I believe I have sorted all this out, but if anyone finds something still not working then please say so!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
The origin of the problem was the need for IR.exe to be able to handle remotes that have two upgrade sections, a device-specific one as well as the normal device-independent one. I think this is the case only in old remotes but I happen to have one, a URC-8550, which was useful for testing. Indeed, the URC-8550 seems to have all the odd features of the past that there ever were, which is handy for me!

The goofy remotes in question all have one thing in common, the Mitsubishi 740 processor. In the UK the two remotes of this type are the URC-8550 and URC-5550 (which are internally the same remote). In the US there were several models like this, the most recent where the URC-9800/URC-8800 "Producer 8" remotes and the 15-1995 Radio Shack remote. Prior to that were the earlier versions of the Producer 8 (URC-8090/URC-8080), the Radio Shack 15-1935 and the Maestro II.

The basic rule of thumb was, if the remote is old and it has an LCD screen, it's probably a Mits 740 remote.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky mentioned an error here about List out of bounds
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=78634#78634

I also have a devil of a time reproducing, but it hit yesterday and I preserved one and only screenshot and added notes on the picture.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7233
However, since it won't replicate, number of devices in the remote is likely irrelevant.

Graham,
since you're so accomodating to all our whims, here's another one for you - add the EXACT version of the currently open IR in the window title. If you were, for example, to ask me which IR was used in the screen shot I just posted, I have no way to tell for sure. By EXACT I do not mean 8.01 in this instance, but the one that's in the .exe properties. Thanks for listening Smile

Oh, and please don't go away before we handle Delcom USB.

I liked your earlier description of why LSB is so convenient. Nice and true.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
Vicky mentioned an error here about List out of bounds
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=78634#78634

I also have a devil of a time reproducing, but it hit yesterday and I preserved one and only screenshot and added notes on the picture.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7233
However, since it won't replicate, number of devices in the remote is likely irrelevant.

That's very helpful. I don't think the number of devices is irrelevant. It looks as if IR is trying to find the device with index 8 (which exists for the "old" remote) after having read, but not yet displayed, the device info for the "new" remote (which has 8 devices with index values 0 to 7). I think the reason the problem is not consistently reproducible is that there seems to be some asynchronous processing going on that I don't really understand. I've found out before that the identical series of actions doesn't always run the subroutines in the same order. So something for the "old" remote seems to be happening after data for the "new" remote has been read.

I've identified two subroutines that might be called during this handover between two remotes, and where the device list is accessed without first checking that the index value is valid, and have put such a check in place. I have no great confidence that this will solve the problem, but it's worth a try and the checks do no harm. This will be in RC6. Please, Vicky or Liz or anyone else, if you get a repeat of the problem when using RC6 or later, do let me know (with as much detail of the circumstances as possible).

ElizabethD wrote:
Since you're so accomodating to all our whims, here's another one for you - add the EXACT version of the currently open IR in the window title. If you were, for example, to ask me which IR was used in the screen shot I just posted, I have no way to tell for sure. By EXACT I do not mean 8.01 in this instance, but the one that's in the .exe properties.

Anything to oblige! That too will be in RC6. It will show only when Extended Titles is selected on the Tools/Options menu. Is that OK?

I'll post RC6 as soon as there is agreement that DecodeIR.html is finally OK. To add to my previous comment on that about the background that Rob has added, not only does it seem mildly annoying but it also means that the file can't be opened in a stand-alone fashion. It need web access to get the background from the JP1 website, and particularly at present, access to that can be problematic. (I keep getting "Internal server error", and when I don't then it takes several minutes to open any link.)

PS I just clicked "Submit" and got "Critical error. Cannot connect to database." So I'll try again.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
I've identified two subroutines that might be called during this handover between two remotes, and where the device list is accessed without first checking that the index value is valid, and have put such a check in place. I have no great confidence that this will solve the problem, but it's worth a try and the checks do no harm. This will be in RC6. Please, Vicky or Liz or anyone else, if you get a repeat of the problem when using RC6 or later, do let me know (with as much detail of the circumstances as possible).

Graham,
New List index out of bounds for your collection, different remote, after OK, the data from the Comcast remote came in just fine.
But slightly different behavior half-way through the process - see notes on the pic
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7250

Could you make few fake versions of the last IR RC5 each slightly different from another, something to make computer think it's a brand new IR.
I want to try this sort of thing without the initial download from 8910, since this so far has been a (too?) common element.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz, since you have got your teeth into this Out of Bounds error, I've posted IR 8.01 RC6 Beta, if that makes sense Smile , primarily for you. It has my corrections to what I think are the most likely cause of these errors but I would like to see if you still get them with it.

There's not much point to posting clones with different names, as all that is happening when you get that "Welcome to IR.exe ..." message is just that - a message. Everything in the Windows registry carries over unchanged from one version to another. You can always cause that message, either by loading an old version and then returning to the newer one, or by using Regedit, navigating to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\UEIC and editing the SoftwareVersion entry to anything different. That's what it checks to see if to display the Welcome message. To REALLY start afresh, delete the UEIC key, but you will then have to set up your folders for RDFs etc all over again.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[There were 8 posts from me and ElizabethD here that really concerned DecodeIR rather than IR 8.01. I have moved them to the thread DecodeIR: Where do we go from here to try to keep all posts on the development of DecodeIR in one place. - mathdon]
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR 8.01 RC6 posted

I have posted IR 8.01 Release Candidate 6. The package includes DecodeIR.dll v2.38 Beta3 and WagonMaster's new jp12serial.dll v0.14. There are also minor revisions to DecodeIR.html to take account of the changes in DecodeIR since v2.37. Please note that DecodeIR v2.38 Beta and Beta2 were not generally issued - they were for private testing of a fix to a reported bug.

The revision of DecodeIR is the most noticable change between RC5 and RC6. It should be less prone to give spurious decodes. Liz will see that this file of hers of JVC learns, which gave two decodes (JVC and JVC{2}) for each signal with IR 8.01 RC4 and three decodes (JVC, JVC{2} and Gap-??-??-??) with RC5 now only gives the one decode, JVC, for each signal. JVC{2} will still be reported when that really is the signal, but it will not appear as a secondary decode of a full JVC signal. The Dish_Network protocol is described in DecodeIR.html as not robust and prone to spurious decodes. I was getting a lot of Gap-??-??-?? decodes with that, in addition to a valid Dish_Network decode. I can now not provoke it to give any of these spurious generic Gap decodes. Again, generic Gap decodes will appear as before for genuinely undecodable signals that fit the generic Gap pattern but they are much less likely to occur as noise on top of valid decodes.

Please try it and report whether you think it is, or is not, an improvement.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is the latest and greatest, I'm using 8.01 Beta 3, and I've started getting new error message

Access Violation at Address 00484400, in module ir.exe. Read of Address 00000048.

If I repeat the read, it goes okay.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky, are you sure you don't mean IR 8.01 RC6 with DecodeIR v2.38 Beta3? Is the access violation reproducible? Can you post a file that gives it? What are you doing when you get it, just loading a .ir file? Any other info, such as do you have more than one copy of IR open (since you have mentioned getting another error only, or mainly, when you have two copies open)? You haven't given me much to go on.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Vicky, are you sure you don't mean IR 8.01 RC6 with DecodeIR v2.38 Beta3? Is the access violation reproducible? Can you post a file that gives it? What are you doing when you get it, just loading a .ir file? Any other info, such as do you have more than one copy of IR open (since you have mentioned getting another error only, or mainly, when you have two copies open)? You haven't given me much to go on.

No, when I went to help about, it said RemoteControlProgrammer Version 8.01 Beta 3

I got about 3 of them this morning, same place where I'd get the index out of bounds error. I always have more than one copy of IR open, and am downloading from a different remote.

I guess I missed a few versions if you are on 6. I hadn't realized I was that out of date.

[edit]
I've downloaded this latest and greatest now, and tried and tried to get the error to happen, and it wouldn't trip at all. 8.01 RC6 seems to be much more stable. Thanks for all the hard work.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Vicky, how could you miss so many versions??? Very Happy Beta 3 was followed by RC1 and we're now up to RC6!!! Anyway, glad the problem's gone away!

I already know there will be an RC7 to accompany a final version of DecodeIR v2.38. I hope it will stop there - IR 8.00 went through 7 RC's. I don't want to surpass that!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed
Quote:
Oh, Vicky, how could you miss so many versions???
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
User error, I have been downloading things, but not to the correct folder.

mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR 8.01 RC7 posted

I have posted IR 8.01 Release Candidate 7. The package includes DecodeIR.dll v2.38 Beta6 and WagonMaster's new jp12serial.dll v0.14. There are also minor revisions to DecodeIR.html from the version included with RC6, to take account of changes since that version.

The only change from RC6 concerns the display of Learned Signals. Most of the time the entries in the Misc field of "3 frames" etc were suppressed, these being intended for other applications such as the IRScope software for the IR Widget. However, there were situations in which these appeared, rather confusingly. I have changed the suppression mechanism so that now they are always suppressed in IR.exe. There is a corresponding change for RMIR, but that is in the Java interface within DecodeIR.dll so does not require any change to RemoteMaster.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR 8.01 RC8 posted

I have posted IR 8.01 Release Candidate 8. The package includes DecodeIR.dll v2.38 Beta7 and WagonMaster's new jp12serial.dll v0.14.

I'm sorry for a new RC version so soon after RC7, though I hope this will be the last. There was a need for a new Beta version of DecodeIR and I took the opportunity to add a feature to IR.exe that I have become increasingly desperate for in recent days. I have added a button on the toolbar, and a corresponding item on the File menu, that opens the current RDF in the default text editor. That is the only change to IR.exe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: