JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need help with opening the strain relief on IDC connector..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lurker1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Need help with opening the strain relief on IDC connector.. Reply with quote

Recently I've been getting a 'SDA Being held low' (make sure there are batteries in the remote) error with my USB cable. Recently the cable worked but it had to be placed just right. Now it won't work at all. In looking at the cable I'm 99% sure that the problem is being caused by frayed wires where the cable loops over.

Here's the IDC connector:

So what I need to do is find out how to take out the strain relief on the IDC connector so I can cut below the frayed end and reconnect the cable to the connector.

The problem is its a little part and I have no idea how to uncouple it.

Can anyone help?[/img]

Last edited by Lurker1 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you take your cable apart, make sure you have fresh batteries in the remote. I recently was convinced my cable was broken, and it turned out that the batteries were just too weak to power the download, even though the remote still worked.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Lurker1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Before you take your cable apart, make sure you have fresh batteries in the remote. I recently was convinced my cable was broken, and it turned out that the batteries were just too weak to power the download, even though the remote still worked.

Nah, the batteries are good its the frayed cable. I now know that 100% because I pushed the excess cable through the loop and pushed the frayed part of the cable together and the cable worked like a charm.

I just need to know how to remove the strain relief (without breaking it) from the IDC connector so I can cut above the frayed part of the cable and reattach it.

Also the pin was put on backwards so I'd like to switch that around.
wnewell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're careful, you may be able to remove it by prying it apart. I've done it with success several times and I've also broken them several times. I'd buy a new one and have it handy just in case.
Lurker1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wnewell wrote:
If you're careful, you may be able to remove it by prying it apart. I've done it with success several times and I've also broken them several times. I'd buy a new one and have it handy just in case.

How did you go about prying it apart. Secondly, in the event that I break it where I can pick up a replacement?
wnewell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small srewdriver, pocket knfe, prying the catch on each side. Radio shack should have them, otherwise, anywhere on the web.

http://www.winfordeng.com/products/dsi.php
Lurker1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wnewell wrote:
Small srewdriver, pocket knfe, prying the catch on each side.

What do you use the screwgie for?

Also is this model of IDC connector one that you pry open? It looks like the tabs connected to the strain relief that go into the IDC are meant to be pushed inward (then I assume slid out)?

Finally does anyone know the part number for the Strain Relief/IDC Connector so that I know specifically what to look/ask for.
wnewell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a small jewelers screwdriver to first pry up the strain relief. Then I us it on each side of the connector to pry up the latch that locks the top of the connector down on the wires. I just opened a 10 pin connect5or on an old cable. Broke the latch on one side. That won't hurt a thing as long as you don't pull on the cable to the connector after you reassemble it. Still, as cheap as they are (about 50 cents) You might as well just replace it.. I guess you could just glue it back on the sides just as well with super glue if you want it to be real secure.
Ellen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker, if you insist on trying to open the connector, you might want to review Tommy Tyler's guide on How to remove and replace an IDC connector. But as wnewell says, they are very easy to break so you might want to just go ahead and buy a new one (or three).
Lurker1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellen wrote:
Lurker, if you insist on trying to open the connector, you might want to review Tommy Tyler's guide on How to remove and replace an IDC connector. But as wnewell says, they are very easy to break so you might want to just go ahead and buy a new one (or three).

Thanks, I went ahead and just bought a couple of new IDCs and managed to change everything and get it up working again. The head was tricky but other than that no problems.

Thanks to those who helped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: