JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fundamentals: key moves, devices and protocols

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ek2116

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Fundamentals: key moves, devices and protocols Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm using using extender 2 with a 2116. Here's
my question.

1. Why are shift functions included in the key
moves table after adding a device upgrade? Is there
any way to include the shift functions as part of
the device upgrade without affecting the move/macro
memory?

2. In the key move tab of KM, what is the difference
between the Bound Device, the Device Button and the
Device Type?

3. Are protocols used to convert the electrical signal
generated by the button press into an IR signal that is
recognized by the receiving component?

Thanks for your help.

Eric (there are two Erics in here)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fundamentals: key moves, devices and protocols Reply with quote

ek2116 wrote:
1. Why are shift functions included in the key moves table after adding a device upgrade? Is there any way to include the shift functions as part of the device upgrade without affecting the move/macro
memory?

We are limited by the device keymaps that are built into the remote's permanent memory, there's nothing KM or RM can do about that. KM tries to make the process as painless as possible by letting you program these buttons at the same time as creating the upgrade, but it's impossible to include shifted buttons in an upgrade unless the shifted button is part of the built in keymaps.

ek2116 wrote:
2. In the key move tab of KM, what is the difference between the Bound Device, the Device Button and the Device Type?

Are you sure you mean KM? In the key move tab the headings are Function, Bound Device, Bound Key, Shift, etc.

I suspect you mean IR.exe....
Bound Device - this is the device mode where the button being programmed resides
Bound Key - this is the button being programmed
Device Type[/b] - this is the device type of the setup code that the EFC belongs to
Setup Code - the setup code that the EFC belongs to
Device Button - if the setup code is programmed to a physical device button, it will be listed here, otherwise "<N/A>" will be displayed.

ek2116 wrote:
3. Are protocols used to convert the electrical signal
generated by the button press into an IR signal that is recognized by the receiving component?

That about sums it up.
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The term "shift functions" in KM means basically "function performed when shifted button is pressed". You have a set of "functions", each representing particular code to be sent to the device. Device recognizes this code and performs corresponding function. The whole point of JP1 software is to assign these functions to some buttons of the remote.
Controlled devices are grouped into "types". Some remote's buttons do not work with particular device types. This is design restriction, which does make some sense. e.g. PIP controls have nothing to do with CD players.
Extenders solve this problem, allowing you to assign functions to non-working or even non-existing (shifted, x-shifted) buttons. However this requires keymove to be introduced on that key. And no, there is no other way around. After all, you have to store something somwhere to let remote know what you want it to do.

2. Bound Device means this keymove is created for this device only; it will work when you select this "bound" device using "TV", "SAT" etc. buttons. Note, that extender2 broadens this definition a little.
Bound Key is the key to be pressed (when bound device is selected) in order to execute the function.
Device Button is one of those "TV", "SAT" ... buttons. Remote's manual calls them "modes"

3. Electrical signal generated by button press triggers execution of some software code in remote's MCU. This code finds corresponding data byte(s) first, using key maps, current selected device etc. Then it uses protocol associated with this device to encode and transmit data through IR.
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops... Sorry Rob, I'm a slow typist
ek2116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your replies. Here's one more (I wish I could
promise there won't be any others, but I can't).

BTW, this is a ridiculous little hobby, but it sure is addictive.

wwwoholic wrote:
2. Bound Device means this keymove is created for this device only; it will work when you select this "bound" device using "TV", "SAT" etc.

So does this mean that I can, for example, have many keymoves
associated with a single button, as long as the keymoves are bound
to different devices? And I suppose I can even execute those keymoves
from within any other keymove as long as I use the hex command for
SET_DEV before I do?

Also, last night I tried a DSM to execute a channel change (channel 98 ).
I started by binding the keymove to my TV, selecting MISC/1103, and
entering the hex command for 9 and 8. I thought this was the correct
way, based on the DSM documentation in ext2. But it didn't work. I only
saw weak LED flashes on the remote. So I implemented the DSM using
the rules for the unextended DSM protocol and it worked. Why didn't
it work the first way? Is it a DSM speed issue?

Thanks for your help.

Eric
asinsh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ek2116 wrote:
...So does this mean that I can, for example, have many keymoves associated with a single button, as long as the keymoves are bound to different devices? And I suppose I can even execute those keymoves from within any other keymove as long as I use the hex command for SET_DEV before I do?...

Yes, button X in TV mode is different from button X in CBL mode, etc. And that is perfectly logical...the commands on any given button of course depend on the mode you are in. So you can do a keymove to the play button as used in TV mode and that is totally different from a keyumove to the play button in DVD mode, etc. In fact, no keymoves bind to more than one device, so if you want button X to execute a given command in more than one mode, you need to either (a) set up keymoves for that button for each such mode (TV, DVD, etc.) or (b) set up a regular macro (not a DSM) on that button that executes that command (since macros cut across all modes) and make sure the macro calls up the correct keymove or regular command from the correct device mode regardless of what mode the remote happens to be in when you call the macro.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ek2116 wrote:
So does this mean that I can, for example, have many keymoves associated with a single button, as long as the keymoves are bound to different devices?

When your remote's in TV mode and you press the MENU button, what happens? It's brings up the TV's menu. Now put the remote into DVD mode and press the same MENU button, what happens? It's brings up the DVD's menu. That's the basic nature of universal remotes. Buttons do different things in different modes. This rule holds true for keymoves.

ek2116 wrote:
And I suppose I can even execute those keymoves from within any other keymove as long as I use the hex command for SET_DEV before I do?

OK, now you lost me.
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ek2116 wrote:
And I suppose I can even execute those keymoves from within any other keymove as long as I use the hex command for SET_DEV before I do?

Do you mean: "... I can execute those keymoves from within any macro as long as I use one of the DEV_* commands before I do?"

If so, then yes. I believe SET_DEV is the command from extender version 1. In extender2 you have commands DEV_TV, DEV_SAT etc. for temporary device selection, and SET_VOL_KEYS, SET_TRANS_KEYS etc. for permanent association of button groups with currently selected device.

Also, some special protocols (e.g. DSM) do allow you to put a short macro sequence into keymove itself, using hex key codes.
ek2116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm trying to master the logic. What I'm saying is, I think,
within the context of ext2 DSMs. Maybe I don't understand DSMs.
The way I understood the ext2 DSM doc, it said I could include
several hex commands in a keymove as a DSM. So I was asking
if I could nest keymoves that are bound to different devices by
inserting the hex command for the keymove in the next level
up (don't know why I'd want to, I'm just trying to
see what strategies are available).

Example: Can a keymove (DSM), bound to Device X, that executes
a sequence of commands, include a keymove (DSM) for
Device Y if the keymove for Device X includes the hex command
DEV_Y and the hex command for the keymove that is
bound to Device Y?

Now I'm really confused. Did that make any sense?

Eric
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ek2116 wrote:

Example: Can a keymove (DSM), bound to Device X, that executes
a sequence of commands, include a keymove (DSM) for
Device Y if the keymove for Device X includes the hex command
DEV_Y and the hex command for the keymove that is
bound to Device Y?

Yes.

I'm pretty sure we're talking about an extender that can nest macros. If you can nest macros then you can nest DSMs (either DSMs or Macros can invoke either DSMs or Macros).
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ek2116 wrote:
So I was asking if I could nest keymoves that are bound to different devices by inserting the hex command for the keymove in the next level up

You did it. You lost me as well this time. Confused

Ok, let's try again.
If you load more or less advanced setup in IR and open key moves tab you are likely to see many different keymoves. And most differences are in hex cmd column.

The simplest case is adding advanced codes to some buttons. e.g. key map for SAT/0755 does not support "menu" button. You create a keymove with bound device SAT, bound key MENU, device type SAT, setup code 0755 and EFC 051. As you can see hex cmd column contains single byte that depends on your EFC.

A bit more complex case when your device uses two-byte protocols. In this case hex cmd column should contain 2 bytes, directly copied from the same column in KM.

Now to the special protocols. e.g. you want to have a macro that tunes your TV to your favorite channel 35. Your TV requires a certain delay between "3" and "5". You create a keymove: bound device TV, bound key xs_TV, device type MISC, setup code 1104, hex cmd $05. Now you can include this key into your macro: DEV_TV, 3, xs_TV, 5
In this example single byte in hex cmd column is a delay value.

Now you want to put your DVD on toadtog. One of the keymoves will look like: bound device DVD, bound key DiscreteOn, device type MISC, setup code 1800, hex cmd $E8 $83. Here $E8 is a control byte for toadtog, and $83 is a code for "Power" button from KeyCodes.htm file.

And the last example - including short macro into keymove. let's put the macro from the above example onto TV/Info button. bound device TV, bound key INFO, device type MISC, setup code 1103, hex cmd $68, $17, $C1, $1A, which is a translation of the macro using KeyCodes.htm.

Last edited by wwwoholic on Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double whoops... With my rate of typing by the time I submit a post one of the experts is already there Sad
I should stop typing and start reading...
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: