JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Newbie wants to use JP1 w/URC-8820 & URC-6131nwB00 remot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanky

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Newbie wants to use JP1 w/URC-8820 & URC-6131nwB00 remot Reply with quote

I'd like to start using JP1 with two new remotes, a URC-6131nwB00 and a URC-8820. I have done some reading on the forums but I still have a couple of questions:

1) Can I buy ONE cable that will work with both of these remotes? I have only a USB port on my Windows box (i.e., no RS-232 port) I really don't want to make my own interface.

2) Can I use use JP1 to reprogram my URC-6131nwB00 remote as-is? Opening the battery case reveals a 6-pin connector labeled "JP1". Because it has a JP1 connector does that mean it already has a EEPROM? Is there a way I can tell without opening the ultratricky case?

3) Can I configure the remotes to replace an Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote Control such as the one at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B6MLSM?tag=j0df-20 ? I don't see much when I search for "Xbox" on the forums.

4) Can I set up the remotes to replace the Verizon remote control that comes with the Motorola QIP 72161 set-top box? I want to control the PVR function in detail.

My end goal is to configure both remotes to control the following devices:

- Xbox 360
- Motorola QIP 72161
- Sony Bravia TV
- Onkyo HT-R340 receiver
- Panasonic SA-HT770 receiver

My apologies for the Newbie questions, and many thanky in advance for your Wisdom
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) No. The 6131 requires a "classic" JP1 (EEPROM) cable, while the 8020 requires a JP1.3 (Flash) cable. Both cables are made in USB variants, and are available from several vendors (check out the marketplace section of the Forum. I recommend Tommy Tyler, who invented a LOT of the hardware we use with JP1 and whose craftsmanship is amongst the most beautiful I've seen. (You can tell I am a satisfied customer of both styles of cable from Tommy)

2) Not sure. The pins USUALLY indicate that the remote has been modified, but you cannot tell if it has a 1K or 2K EEPROM without either opening the case and looking, or getting a cable and downloading and checking out what you get.

3) and 4) Yes. You can use the 8020 to learn whatever functions you cannot find in the file section and make your own upgrade.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums, Spanky!

A minor correction to this reply is in order:
Capn Trips wrote:
while the 8020 requires a JP1.3 (Flash) cable.

The URC-8820 is actually a JP1.2 (Flash) remote and requires an interface cable supporting JP1.2 remotes.

The distinction is not really critical because any cable you can buy which supports JP1.3 remotes should also support JP1.2 remotes (although the reverse is not true -- you can buy a cable [but not for USB, as far as I know] which supports JP1.1/JP1.2 and not JP1.3). Just trying to avoid confusion here... Smile

Regards,
Bill
Spanky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt replies and the good information.

Hmm, sounds like for $15 I can buy a JP-1 cable for my URC-6131nwB00 (which I may or may not be able to program) or for $18 I can just buy a new URC-8820 and have two identical remotes.

Apart from the valuable $3 savings, any particular benefit in the URC-6131 over the URC-8820?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Apart from the valuable $3 savings, any particular benefit in the URC-6131 over the URC-8820?

While the original URC-6131 had a very desirable design, the URC-6131N has no benefits, and several drawbacks.

The 6820,8820,10820 are all the same remote internally, so they are all capable of holding 10 setup codes, and 10 sets of keymove codes.

The 8820 has learning.

The 8820 has a Flash chip, so more advanced extenders can be written.

The 8820 is definately the better remote.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: