JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR 8.0 with Windows 7
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: IR 8.0 with Windows 7 Reply with quote

Is there anyway to get IR Version 8.0 to work with Microsoft Windows 7? The application itself will launch & Open but will not connect with my remote (RadioShack 15-2116) I currently have Windows 7 Build ID 7600.16385.090713-1255 and it is the 64Bit version
My system specs are posted Here

So is there anyway to get this to work (Like new Parallel port Drivers) or will I have to dig out my XP Machine?

Here is the error I get

Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have JP1.x mode selected, as indicated by both the push button in the menu line (to the left of the red RM button) and the pop-up message.

You need to click on the JP1.x button to make it read JP1 and then it should work.
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too noticed that after the fact (After I posted this message) but I tried and the JP1 Parallel is grayed out and will not let me select it
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have admin rights on this PC?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that the JP1.x button on the toolbar is grayed out. This means that IR has not found any form of JP1 access to be available. It doesn't actually test for JP1.x access until you try to connect to a remote, which is what you did. It failed to find that because you weren't connected to a JP1.x remote. So whether or not your setup would work with a JP1.x remote is still an open question, but it certainly won't work with a JP1 remote.

You mention specifically JP1 Parallel being grayed out. Do you really have a Windows 7 machine with a physical Parallel Port or are you actually using a JP1 USB cable?

Do we know if this is a Windows 7 problem or a 64-bit OS problem? Does IR.exe work properly under 64-bit Windows Vista?
tennessee titan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using IR 8.00 with Windows 7(RC) 64 bit on a 64bit Dell quad I7. No problems. I am using one of Tommy's JP1.x USB cables.
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have admin rights on this PC and the Motherboard has a physical Parallel port but I tried IR In compatibly mode for windows 98/Me and the JP1 button is not grayed out anymore but when I try to upload or download to the remote or even press the "Check Interface" tab it says "No Response from interface". I got the JP1 Interface from a place on the web a couple of years ago (I think it is just the simple interface) and I just tried it n my XP machine so I know the interface is not bad. The motherboard I have (I built the machine from parts myself) is a Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L Intel LGA 775 and it uses the G31 Chipset and the ICH7 controller. I know the parallel port on the motherboard works because when I had XP on this machine it worked fine
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

110220Volts wrote:
I know the parallel port on the motherboard works because when I had XP on this machine it worked fine

I'm not very knowledgeable about hardware, so this may be a silly comment, but could there be an issue between Windows 7, or a 64-bit OS, and your parallel port board? Was your XP version also 64-bit (if there was such a thing, though I think there was)?
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
110220Volts wrote:
I know the parallel port on the motherboard works because when I had XP on this machine it worked fine

I'm not very knowledgeable about hardware, so this may be a silly comment, but could there be an issue between Windows 7, or a 64-bit OS, and your parallel port board? Was your XP version also 64-bit (if there was such a thing, though I think there was)?

I don't think there is a problem with the parallel and the 64-bit OS and yes there was a 64-bit version of XP but I had the 32-bit version
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one confusing thread, partly because tennessee titan jumped in with a testimonial for Win7 and I had trouble figuring out why we were asking him if HE had admin rights or what kind of interface HE was using.

In any event, I don't think mathdon's point was ever properly answered.
110220Volts wrote:

That doesn't necessarily mean the parallel port works under Win7 as well as XP. It seems to me a tie breaker is needed, like running a printer or other parallel device (other than the interface) on the parallel port to verify that it is OK under Win7. And what kind of parallel port addresses is this home-built mother board giving?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tyler wrote:
This is one confusing thread, partly because tennessee titan jumped in with a testimonial for Win7 and I had trouble figuring out why we were asking him if HE had admin rights or what kind of interface HE was using.

I agree, I also got confused at one point as to who's cable we were talking about, so I have condensed TTs answers back into this original post.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the one that asked TT what kind of interface he was using, and that's what I wanted to ask. I wanted to know if TT, who had Win 7 working with an IR USB interface, was using JP1 (as distinct from JP1.x) because if he was, the simple solution for 110220Volts was to get a USB interface and forget about an ancient parallel port one. But TT is using JP1.x, so we still don't know if there is a solution through USB.

I agree with Tommy that we still have no evidence that the parallel port board works with Win 7 and I believe that to be the most likely weak link. If so, the solution may well lie with a new JP1 USB cable but I'm sure 110220Volts would like an assurance that it will work before acquiring one.
andyross

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With any version of Windows, is IR set to the proper parallel port address? I think IR defaults to the basic ones, but under Windows, they could be odd addresses, especially if PCI-based. I had to manually change mine in IR to CCC8, for example.
tennessee titan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I recently switched to the new quad I7 computer with Vista 64, I found a bunch of hardware and software that would no longer work. Computer no longer had IDE interface (goodbye to all the old disk drives, unless one was willing to accept a clunky IDE-SATA adapter or an external enclosure, No mre floppy interface ( all the DOS (remember DOS?) diagnostics and startup disks). No serial or parallel ports. What's next - DVD drives?
First point - Windows 7 alleviated some of that angst - I can use older xP based software with the new VT technology (I haven't tried it yet - waiting for the released W7).
Second point - I guess the JP1ers still clinging to their Cinema 7s and 1994s and the old parallel interfaces will just have to suck it up and move into the 21 st century.....
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Second point - I guess the JP1ers still clinging to their Cinema 7s and 1994s and the old parallel interfaces will just have to suck it up and move into the 21 st century.....
Ouch!

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: