JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can you tell what kind of interface it is

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Can you tell what kind of interface it is Reply with quote

I opened my interface and took pictures of both sides, put the thing back together and then saved the pictures, except that I crashed the computer between saves.

Can you tell what it is from only one side, or do I need to re-open the thing-a-ma-bobby to see the other side?

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6896
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might help to have both sides.

Here's the one side...

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It might help to have both sides.

I was afraid you'd say that! Now that its working again, I really hated to take it apart. This cable has been "charmed". I am really nervous about tampering with a cable that worked flawlessly until this afternoon. When it seemed to fail, because two remotes happened to cease being able to talk to the PC at the same time. What a coincidence that was!

Anyway, this picture is the back side.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6898
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky,

I'm sure you'd like to hear Tommy's opinion too, but this interface clearly appears to me to be the one I suspected you had and mentioned earlier -- Tommy's 4-transistor JP1.1 design. From what I can see from your pictures, I've traced the components and they seem to match up nicely. In fact, if you simply count the components (transistors, resistors, diodes, and capacitors), the number of each matches Tommy's schematic exactly.

This is a DTR-controls-reset interface.

Bill
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In fact, if you simply count the components (transistors, resistors, diodes, and capacitors),

What have I EVER said, that would make anyone think that I know what a transister, resistor, diode or capacitor is. Laughing I'm into this hobby simply because I don't like to juggle remotes and I like to program. I BUY the hardware. Rolling Eyes Wink
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's side 2:

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for showing side two Rob.

After my fright this weekend, when I had convincing evidence that my cable was dead, I'd really like to know which cable I have so that I can replace it if I ever need to.

While I may not know what makes it work, I'd like to know enough to be able to buy a replacement should it become necessary.
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Quote:
In fact, if you simply count the components (transistors, resistors, diodes, and capacitors),

What have I EVER said, that would make anyone think that I know what a transister, resistor, diode or capacitor is. Laughing

vickyg2003 wrote:
After my fright this weekend, when I had convincing evidence that my cable was dead, I'd really like to know which cable I have so that I can replace it if I ever need to.

Judging by the number of vendors still selling this cable, I have a feeling you might need to start learning just what a transistor, resistor, diode, and capacitor are! Wink Smile

Regards,
Bill

Last edited by WagonMaster on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The layout of the PCB doesn't look like Tommy's handy work, and I think DIY puts his URL on his PCBs, so my guess is that this came from Jim at Interface Place.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8104
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WagonMaster wrote:
Judging by the number of vendors still selling this cable, I have a feel you might need to start learning just what a transistor, resistor, diode, and capacitor are!

Let's pray that's not the case. Crying or Very sad

The Robman wrote:
The layout of the PCB doesn't look like Tommy's handy work, and I think DIY puts his URL on his PCBs, so my guess is that this came from Jim at Interface Place.

Thanks Rob, I'll pursue this with Jim.
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is definitely my board, and I would say most likely my components, but that doesn't look like my soldering.
Vicky, if I remember correctly, you purchased a kit from me for a discounted price, and either you or someone else assembled it.
I'm pretty sure that I still have the components to build another of this design, but I am extremely pressed for time through this week. I could do something this weekend if you needed anything so soon.
Jim
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Vicky, if I remember correctly, you purchased a kit from me for a discounted price, and either you or someone else assembled it.
I'm pretty sure that I still have the components to build another of this design, but I am extremely pressed for time through this week. I could do something this weekend if you needed anything so soon.
Jim

Hi Jim,

You remember correctly. Smile The kit I purchased went to my nephew for Christmas. This one was a remote I purchased from Rob, but never knew which model it was.

As it turns out I don't need another interface. I thought I had broken this one, but it really turns out I had broken a remote, and the other remote I tried had weak batteries. Since two remotes suddenly stopped working, on multiple computers, I assumed that it was the cable, but in fact it was fine. Whew!

So as of right now I am okay. I just wanted to know what model this was so that I can continue to work with all three types of flash interfaces.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jherrick wrote:
This is definitely my board, and I would say most likely my components, but that doesn't look like my soldering.

If Vicky bought it from me, it must be your soldering because I never bought kits from you, just completed cables. Did you ever have anyone else put the cables together for you?
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
jherrick wrote:

If Vicky bought it from me, it must be your soldering because I never bought kits from you, just completed cables. Did you ever have anyone else put the cables together for you?

Embarassed Nope. I guess that's probably mine, but I must have been having a pretty off day. I don't usually let something like that out the door. I'm sorry that it looks like that.
Vicky, glad to hear that you solved the problem!
Jim
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, I'm sure glad you let this one get out the door. It reads EVERYTHING, JP1.1, JP1.2 and JP1.3!

Is it a JP1.2 or a JP1.x cable?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: