JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR v8.01 wish list
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, when we introduce a new version of a JP1 tool, we just increment the sub-release number by 1, look at the history of KM and RM and for the most part, IR. I do see that the 6.00 series incremented in 5s, but I don't recall why that was.

I certainly don't object to you jumping to 10 if you like as IR is your baby now, I was just voicing my preference which would be to increment it by 1.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Generally speaking, when we introduce a new version of a JP1 tool, we just increment the sub-release number by 1, look at the history of KM and RM ...

Indeed you do. I don't use KM, but this policy for RM always leaves me wondering whether the update is worth bothering with. I'm still on RM1.88, for instance, while the current version is RM1.93.

I really don't want users to wait, say, for IR8.04 before upgrading from IR8.00, as they will have a very long wait and the enhancements in IR8.01 are substantial and will be worthwhile for almost all users. So as you don't object - and thanks for that, IR may be temporarily my baby but the whole of JP1 is permanently your baby Smile - I will go along with changing the version number to IR8.10.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first encountered JP1 in the Yahoo days, it was "beaten" into my head that any time I had any problems with the software I should check for upgrades. Those early lessons have served me well. Everytime I ever have problems, its always been fixed by downloading the lastest verison. The developers were always way ahead of me.

Now years later, the software is so much more stable, that that warning is not issued on a regular basis, but I think it should be. User's should ALWAYS check to see if they have the latest and greatest tools, no matter what the version number is.

ANY revision number is important to note.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I see WHY you want to jump ahead, I think you may be disappointed to find that it doesn't have the desired effect. Those of us that use JP1 on a regular basis (ie, mainly the experts) are going to grab the latest version of everything no matter what the version number is, and the people that don't use it regularly won't.

Don't be surprised when you see a post from someone looking for help with an issue and they quote that they're using IR 6.15.

For many people, if the current version is working, they're not necessarily in a rush to get the latest version. So, skipping numbers won't make them upgrade quicker, it'll just make it a bit more confusing to those of us that do use the tools everyday.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
When I first encountered JP1 in the Yahoo days, it was "beaten" into my head that any time I had any problems with the software I should check for upgrades.
Sure, that is the rule with any software. I'm not thinking of problems, I'm thinking of new features that users may find useful. With that, I think there is some benefit in distinguishing between a minor revision and the substantial addition of new features.

The Robman wrote:
Don't be surprised when you see a post from someone looking for help with an issue and they quote that they're using IR 6.15.
Point taken - I saw that very recently!

OK, I will think more about this before deciding.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
When I first encountered JP1 in the Yahoo days, it was "beaten" into my head that any time I had any problems with the software I should check for upgrades.

Sure, that is the rule with any software.

Well yeah, you know that, you're a developer. But the user don't seem to get that.

Quote:
I'm not thinking of problems, I'm thinking of new features that users may find useful.

I think the most of the user's are of the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" mentality. The forum regular's are going to down your release no matter what the number. But of the 587 people that have downloaded your IR8, my guess is 500 of them are newbies, and 400 of them will stick will stick with IR800 for 3 or more years because they won't be back until they get new equipment. Your target primary user's will be forum regulars and newbies.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
I threw this out there before, but what to you think of some upload/download animation besides the pseudo LED? I initially thought a progress bar or some other graphic, but now I'm thinking a simple hourglass cursor or some blinking text may be enough.

This is weird. I'm almost ready to post an IR8.01 Beta (yes, Rob and Vicky, I've decided to stick to version number 8.01 Smile ) but thought I would put in that hourglass cursor on upload/download as the simplest animation. What did I find? It's already there, it works, but I (and presumably you too) just haven't noticed it!

I won't delay the Beta version over this but will consider something more noticeable before final release if it is felt there is a need for it.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed it completely Embarassed . Good to know most of the code is already there to drive something less subtle. Thanks again for all your hard work.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add my two cents on the versioning...

On the extenders that I've been writing that have version support, I have been using .0x as a "minor" revision, some odd error that I fixed that really has no impact on anyone except maybe someone who found an odd bug. Changes to the RDF's, other minor things

I've been using .x0 as indicating something that is of substance but the extender hasn't changed in function. A bug that would impact everyone who is using the extender, etc.

I've been using x.0 as a major change, this will generally require people rebuild their extender configuration since keys have moved, something really new has been added, etc. I did this on the Atlas when I moved the keysets and moved all of the code around and moved the special protocols into the hidden area. The key here is that this requires someone using the extender to think about what they're doing, it's not a simple upgrade.

You have to also think about how many digits you have between 0 and 9 when you use this kind of scheme. Instead of 99 incremental releases between majors, you have many, many fewer. But this hasn't been an issue for me and the extenders.

(and yes, before anyone replies, I do owe a minor update on the Atlas extenders to fix an RDF issue. it's on my list!)
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Uncle Miltie, for your two cents worth. Smile I too think of the version numbering hierarchically. The compiler uses Major version, Minor version, Revision number and Build number. This is the number you see if you right-click the file and select Properties/Details. For IR8.01 Dev Build 2 it is 8.0.1.2. For a release, my view is that the Build is dropped - that is for development versions - and the second dot removed. So that makes the change from 8.00 to 8.01 be a Revision, whereas my view of the extent of the changes is that it is a Major Version change.

I didn't thinik anyone would stand the next version being 9.00 Smile , as a change in Major Version seems to have represented a handover of developer, but was taken aback by there being any disquiet with it being 8.10. But there was, and I don't want this to be a controversial issue, so I've decided to go along with leaving it at 8.01. I see that a change at this stage could be confusing, as the "wish list" has called it 8.01 from the beginning, but all the muiltiselect stuff has involved a substantial reorganisation of the code with a lot of time and effort on my part, all for a mere ".01". A bit sad, really.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,

As has been previously stated, the casual user doesn't undestand and it doesn't matter to him/her, while the rest of us who frequent here and try to keep constantly up-to-date certainly do not undervalue your "1ยข" change to the extender. Rolling Eyes

We assign to it an inflated value of at LEAST a dime! Twisted Evil

(Just call me the master of self-esteem) Laughing

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I have another suggestion for something that would save me a lot of time. I'd like two new buttons on the Learned Signals tab.

1) Code Summary
This button would bring up a reduced section of the Summary file, which just shows the codes for the learned signals.

2) Times Summary
This button would bring up a reduced section of the Summary file, which just shows the raw data for the learned signals.

By all means, come up with different labels for the buttons if you like.

Rob, I've done this, but as I think it is a rather specialized interest I've put these on the right-click menu of the learned signals listbox rather than as new buttons. Is this OK?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Rob, I've done this, but as I think it is a rather specialized interest I've put these on the right-click menu of the learned signals listbox rather than as new buttons. Is this OK?

While I agree that it may be specialized, it's something that I have to do A LOT in order to create new upgrades for people (and it sounds like the Capn will be using them too), so I would definitely prefer buttons to a right-click menu option, and there's certainly enough real-estate there to do it (to the left of EDIT, or to the right of DELETE ALL).

If you think most people won't want to see these buttons, how about only showing the buttons when the "Force Learned Timings" advanced menu option is selected.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
mathdon wrote:
I've put these on the right-click menu of the learned signals listbox rather than as new buttons. Is this OK?

... I would definitely prefer buttons to a right-click menu option, and there's certainly enough real-estate there to do it (to the left of EDIT, or to the right of DELETE ALL).

If you think most people won't want to see these buttons, how about only showing the buttons when the "Force Learned Timings" advanced menu option is selected.

I do think most people won't want to see them, but I'm happy with your compromise. I've done this, so these summary extracts are available at any time through the right-click menu, and also through new buttons when "Force Learned Timings" is selected.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, when do we get to play with this new version? I'm going to be offline the rest of the weekend, but I'd like to play with the prototype as soon as possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: