JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Easy question, what benefit is an extender?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agix

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Easy question, what benefit is an extender? Reply with quote

nt
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different extenders available for different remotes, so the features listed below might not apply to a specific remote. Basically, an extender add extra features or flexibility that are not present in the remote's firmware.

More memory available for upgrades/keymoves/macro by repartitionning the available memory between the learning (usually discarded), upgrades and keymoves/macro zones

Extended macro possibilities : fast, longer, nested, device specific, pause

Extended device handling : more flexible VPT, temporary device selection in macros, macros on device keys

Special protocols support : ToadTog, multiplexer, long/double key press

Shift handling : change shift key, use of a second shift key, shifted devices

The list is probably not complete, but gives you an idea of the improvement proposed by extenders.
madsage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the 60xx remotes..
IMO The biggest advantage to john's extenders is they allow you to assign macros to the device keys.
Agix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, look at it this way. All OFA/RS remotes come with a variety of restrictions that we don't like, starting with (but not limited to) not allowing functions or macros to be programmed to the device buttons.

An extender completely takes over control of the remote, which means the extender writer can decide what features to add and which to remove. He can also decide to change how the EEPROM memory is used.

So, if you find that there's something (software related) about your remote that you don't like, check out the extenders to see if any of them fix it, and if not, post a request for the extender writers to consider adding to future versions.
Agix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is the extender automatic or do you have to activate the extender?

If you have to activate it, is that each time or can I do it once and forget about it (excluding a power reset)?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extender must be activated (which is just one or two key presses) after each reset of the remote.

The remote normally resets every time you upload or download with IR.EXE. It also resets if you press a key while changing batteries or if you leave batteries out for more than a short time.

My 15-2104's normally loose battery contact whenever my sons throw the remote onto the floor (usually that's whever they finish using it). Usually the batteries slip back into position with just a slight press on the outside of the battery cover (which I do without even thinking about it when I pick the remote up), but even when I don't need to open the battery cover to reseat them, I still need to reactivate the extender. If you have better behaved children you'll probably find that it's rare to need to reactivate an extender in normal use.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
My 15-2104's normally loose battery contact whenever my sons throw the remote onto the floor (usually that's whever they finish using it).

Since getting rid of the kids isn't an option ( Wink ), have you thought about putting a small piece of foam between the batteries and the cover. I did that on my 2104 and my contact problems went away (as did the annoying rattle).
WaltJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How device specific is an extender? Can I take an extender for one remote and use it on another?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaltJ wrote:
How remote specific is an extender? Can I take an extender for one remote and use it on another?

They are extremely remote specific and cannot be used on a remote they were not written for.

The only slight exception to this rule is when there are different models of remotes that use the exact same MCU processor. The prime example of this are the URC-6011, 6012, 8011, 8017, 8810w and 8811 remotes, which are all the same remote internally. So, all of these can use the same extender.
WaltJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an extender for the MCU in the RC-R0720?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a standard One For All or Radio Shack model number. It looks like it might be for a Kenwood remote, is that right? In which case I suspect it might use a 6805 processor and there aren't any extenders for those at this time (and I'm not expecting any).

So, let's approach this from another angle, what would you like the remote to do that it can't do now?
WaltJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's a Kenwood remote (came with vr-507 receiver) the remote looks like the Outlaw Audio remote or a slightly larger showstopper remote.

It would be nice to assign macros to the device buttons. Any chance of that?
Lenroc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to assign macros on Shfited Device buttons without an extender on the RC0720.

The funny thing is, the remote doesn't even "support" macros (i.e. there's no documented way to make them using the remote, but IR.exe just let me add them with no problems).

JP1 is so great! Wink
WaltJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the shift button on this remote?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: