JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trying to get URC-8090B01 going

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpm1200

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Trying to get URC-8090B01 going Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I've been trying to program a URC-8090B01 and am running into problems with the limitations of the remote. As I understand it:
1. Limited to 50 bytes per device
2. Devices with protocol upgrades need to be limited to a specific device key
3. Can't do 2-byte key moves
I'm using a Sony receiver and Sony DVD player, both of which require protocol upgrades and use 2-byte codes.
I think I have the receiver solved - I'm just going to create a device for the "advanced" functions in RM, then keymap the "basic" functions from the 0158 device built into the remote.
What should I do for the DVD player? As far as I know there's no built-in DVD device I can piggyback off (but maybe there is...).
For what it's worth, I have the B01 extender loaded and it appears to work. Following this thread, it looks like mikemcgo had the same problem as me then loaded the extender, but I don't understand how the extender solved the problem.
Thank you very much!
rpm1200

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it out! Looking at the DVD player codes I realized they were all Sony20 even though it used the 12/15/20 combo protocol. So I switched it to the Sony20 included with the remote. (Good thing I made a backup when I started, because I had deleted the additional protocols and devices included with the remote, to save memory.) That dropped it down to 1-byte codes, enabling me to fit everything I want into 50 bytes and enabling key moves.
rpm1200

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... even with single-byte codes key moves are still not working when using upgraded protocols. In IR I tried the following:
1. Restricted new device with "include in device independent section" checked - the codes work fine for the new device itself but keys moved to a different device don't function. The LED/transmit icon lights when I press a moved key on the other device, but nothing happens.
2. Did not restrict device. The codes don't work for the new device or moved keys on the other device. The LED/transmit icon lights when I press a moved key on the other device but nothing happens.
3. Restricted device with "include in device independent section" unchecked - the codes work fine for the new device itself but moved keys are not remapped at all to the other device. For keys with nothing assigned on the other device, the LED and transmit icon don't light. Keys that should have been overridden by the key move have their original functions.
I tried all of these scenarios with the extender loaded and unloaded, and it did not make a difference.
I'm going to try macros rather than keymoves. Does anyone have any other ideas?
Thank you!!!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpm1200 wrote:
Does anyone have any other ideas?
Thank you!!!
Yup. Post the offending files in the diagnosis area and provide a link to them here so that someone can take a look. Trying to troubleshoot from descriptions ALONE (althopugh they are necessary) is very hard.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
rpm1200

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: RM and IR files Reply with quote

Here are the files I am using.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6794
Key moves 3, 4 and 8 are not working.
Thanks!!!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RDF for the URC-8090B01 says that the Sony20 protocol ($00DE) is built into the remote, but I see that you have added a protocol upgrade anyway, which puts you into the restricted category. Try deleting the protocol and making the two upgrades unrestricted to see if that fixes it.
rpm1200

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried that... I lose all DVD functionality. The remote does not blink when I hit buttons in AUX1 or SAT modes.

I noticed that the remote had $00DE loaded as an upgrade protocol before I did anything to it... I bought this remote brand-new for my Dad (a long time ago) and he just gave it to me, so I'm pretty sure the JP1 has never been used, except for any upgrades applied at the factory. $007E was also applied. I posted the original IR file: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6796

Is it possible that the remote is a B00 even though the label says it's B01?
Thanks!!!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked in my old JP1 files and I found data for the B00 and B02 versions, I couldn't find anything on the B01 version, so I can't confirm whether the remote really does have the $00DE protocol built in or not, but your results would tend to imply that it doesn't.

It's been a long time since I've even had to think about the Producer 8 remotes, so the memory is a bit foggy. However, given the nature of how device specific upgrades work in these remotes, I'm not surprised that keymoves won't work with them. So you may be SOL on that score.

However, there may be a complicated work around. You could try setting up macros instead that switch device modes, press the desired button, then switch back. As these macros would be active in all device modes, you would need to override them with keymoves in all the other modes.
rpm1200

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was afraid of... I'll try the macro approach.

Just for kicks I tried going back to a B00 RDF but nothing improved. Here's the file if it's at all interesting: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6797

Thanks again!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what you could try, try programming a keymove on the remote itself using one of the restricted upgrades. If the remote lets you do it, test it to see if it works, then download the IR file to see if the format is different.
rpm1200

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not work when I do the keymove on the remote either. The keymove looks the same as when I did it in IR.
It's all right, I accomplished everything through macros so I am all set at this point.
Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: