JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC 8910 Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Predator04

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: URC 8910 Help Reply with quote

Hey guys new here. anyways i want to know how to expanded the 25 command limit on this remote. what software and hardware do i need to get this remote working? also with the hardware and software what are the things i can do with this remote? Thanks alot!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the limit to how many buttons can be learned? If so, you can't expand that, but you can make it irrelevant. As a JP1 user, the only reason that you would need to use the learning feature is to capture the signals from a new remote with a view to using that data to build an upgrade. And even if the new device has more that 25 buttons, that's not a problem because you can capture the buttons in a couple of sittings.

With JP1 you can manage the remote's contents on your PC, so you'll know how many buttons have been learned, how many keymoves you have, how many macros and what the steps are in them. You can edit your macros without having to delete them and completely start over, which is your only option today. You can add upgrades for any of your devices, and you can totally customize those upgrades so that the button layout is to your liking.

Read this...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help
Predator04

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Rob thanks alot for the info. what do you mean by upgrade? i hear it alot on this site. and still not sure. i know what upgrade means in general. but what would a upgrade do for a remote? cuz right now my problem is that i have a couple remotes. but the one remote i have takes up all 25 keys. so i can only add one remote right now and i have about 5 others to do. will this help me then? also can you link me to the jp1 cable that i would need for this remote. thanks alot for your help!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's take a step back and look at how a universal remote like the URC-8910 is supposed to work. The remote comes with a booklet that lists a bunch of codes, the idea being that you will look up your devices in the list and then program those codes to make the remote work your devices.

The learning feature in this remote is just meant to be used to fill in the gaps, it's not meant to be used to program a complete device. Given that is how you are using it, that implies that either (a) you haven't read the manual and are not familiar with using codes or (b) you couldn't find a code to work one or more of your devices. If it's the former, now you know but if it's the latter, you need JP1.

A JP1 upgrade is a process that you use to add more codes to the remote's memory. So, even though the remote doesn't have a code for one of your devices now, once you've added an upgrade, it will.

The type of cable that you need for this remote is a "JP1 (EEPROM)" cable. Check out the vendors in the Market Place forum. If you only have a USB port, I would recommend getting a USB cable ($29) from Tommy Tyler. If you have a parallel port, you could get a Simple cable ($15) from DIYGadget.
Predator04

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w0w thanks alot for the info. so let me see if i got this. well for one i needed a code for my dvr but there wasn't one. so i tried learning. well used up all my 25 buttons. so to make a code for my remote i can use the jp1 cable and hook it up with software and make a code were it wont use my 25 buttons is this correct? how many codes will i be able to use? so in turn i can make like 5 different codes and upload it to my remote and control 5 devices. is this correct? thanks alot and thank you for this site. very helpful so far!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrades vary in size, so I can't tell you exactly how many you can load, but given that this is an 8 device remote, I can certainly say that you can load a lot more than 8 upgrades into the remote.
Predator04

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks rob. ill be buying one of those cables in a week or so. thanks alot!
Predator04

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you post a link to the right cable i need for te 8910? thanks alot. im looking for the serial one
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a serial cable that will work with the 8910, it's the JP1S cable listed here...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=413
Predator04

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks got the cable today. how to i add a macro. or how do i set it up? i tried searching but searching sucks on here and brings up 35 pages. and still couldn't find anything. i want to set up were when i hit power the tv comes on and the sound system. and stuff like that

ok i figured it out i think. also what does shift do?
and lets say one on my devices doesn't have a discrete code is there any work around?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See THIS for shift.

There a few work-arounds for TOADs (devices with no discretes). The easiest is to always leave the device on (like a cable box), another is to use another command that only turns the device on and never off (like PLAY on a DVD player), lastly you can make your own discretes by building a TOAD-TOG in the extender (see THIS thread and THIS explaination).
Predator04

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for fast reply. thanks alot for the info very useful. now the only trouble i am having is i want to import the vol +and - on my sat button. meaning i have my controller working for my sat dish but under the ast button i want to press up and down on volume and have it change on my logitech speakers. is this possible? if so how do i do about it? thanks a lot!!!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's controlled by the VPT (Volume Punch Thru) settings on the General tab in IR. Set VPT to On, VPT Device to whatever your logitech is assigned to, and set SAT VPT to On.
Predator04

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thank you so much. I was wondering were i can do punch thros. thanks alot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: