JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

please help 8910
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbollt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH MY! It works..for one learned command. Now, I noticed that other of the learned commands are a different sub code, 34 vs 28. How do I eneter these in KM??? And how do I combine these EFCs from the learned commands into an existing ir file, my original saved configuration fromthe remote?
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use one of the panasonic combo protocols.

Read the keymap-master-protocols.txt file that comes with KM for more information. Look for the stuff after this paragraph for any exceptions that might apply to your situation:

KM Protocol.txt readme file wrote:
Combo Protocols:
----------------
Any protocol that includes the word "Combo" in the name is a
special protocol that allows you to combine functions from
different devices into one Setup Code. In most cases, you will
enter the normal OBC or EFC in the appropriate column of the
Functions sheet and you will enter the device code in the byte2
column.

There are a few exceptions:

JP1Files
jbollt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finaly having some minimal success with this JP1, I would now like to try again to use one of the panasonic combined upgrade files onthe JP1 files site. I have saved it to my desktop, and then load it into KM. then I copy and paste the device into the device page and the protocol into the protocol page in IR... right? Is there anything else to set or input in IR? The device code, or type? Thanks
jbollt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: well...much success! Reply with quote

Minor problem, but first, I must tell you that I am finally having much success with the JP1, and want to thank you all for your help. I must have just been missing something, as it seems easy now to configure my remotes as I like...Not ready for extenders just yey, but almost!

I am having a minor problem learning a command to the 15-1994. I can learn it to the 8910, but the 1994 just confirms the learn with 2 blinks, then won't even display a red led when the button on which the command is learned. Looking at the info in IR from the successful learn on the 8910, I have the following:
Function=tuner
EFC=220
sub device=40
OBC=164
hex=DA EB

I have also tried to put that info in the key moves tab of IR with no luck. IHAVE been able to do other functions this way, so I am at a loss...Can anyone point me in the right direction? Hopping to have it up and running for the friends coming over for New Years tonight!

HAPPY (and SAFE) NEW YEARS ALL!
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: well...much success! Reply with quote

jbollt wrote:
the 1994 just confirms the learn with 2 blinks, then won't even display a red led when the button on which the command is learned.

My best guess is you have an upgrade protocol present in that device mode on the 15-1994. That doesn't stop you from learning signals, but ver much stops you from using the learned signals. The 8910 does not have that problem. I assume if you downloaded the learned signal from the 1994 to IR.EXE it would look just the same as from the 8910. So you could examine a learned signal from a 1994 in IR and convert it to a keymove or part of an upgrade, then DELETE THE LEARNED SIGNAL from your eeprom image, and the whole task could be done without ever removing the protocol upgrade.

jbollt wrote:

Looking at the info in IR from the successful learn on the 8910, I have the following:
Function=tuner
EFC=220
sub device=40
OBC=164
hex=DA EB

You say that is the info from IR from a learned signal, but you're showing us the info from a line of KM's functions tab in an upgrade that you probably based on the learned signal.
IR displayed a protocol and a device for that learned signal and IR didn't display that second byte of hex data. IR displayed an OBC and an EFC but you only copied one of them to KM. Don't worry about the hex part, but the way you quoted this leaves me wondering:
1) Was the OBC displayed for the learned signal the same as the 164 you ended up with in KM?
2) Was the device number displayed for the learned signal the one you used on the setup sheet for KM?
3) Was the protocol really Panasonic in both places? (well actually I'm pretty sure that part is right).
jbollt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Jon Reply with quote

John: yes..sorry, that info was from KM....

from the 8910, the learned function is as follows:
Panasonic, 160, 4, 164, DA, 220..

I have tried to input this on the key move tab in IR with no luck.

Last edited by jbollt on Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you use subdevice 40 in KM when the subdevice of the learned signal is 4?

When you create this as a keymove, you need to switch to hex command (not EFC) mode and depending on which version of the panasonic combo protocol you have the hex command would be either DA DF or DF DA.
jbollt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 DOES NOT equal 4. I will keep repeating that! Thanks, John.that worked. I changed the 40 on the upgrade functions page, and moved it over to IR..Thanks a bunch! Happy happy New Year!

Next week I may tackle extenders....hope you don't mind helping us newbies out!
dacrocker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Same setup, same problems! Reply with quote

jbollt,
I have the exact same Panasonic HT system and OFA 8910 remote. Have you made any progress on getting the remote to fully operate your HT system?

I've been debating buying a JP1 cable and doing exactly what you've done, but am not extremely confident that it will work.

Any advice or config files (If you've figured it out) would be greatly appreciated.
jbollt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dacrocker...
I took back the 8910, and am using the Radio shack 15-2116, as I prefer the button layout and backlighting color. I have the JP1 cable, and I am able to control everything on the HT system that I need to in regular use...No real need to change any surround or Dolby settings, so if i REALLY need those functions, I will drag out the OEM remote.

Here's what I have done so far...with the JP1 cable and IR.exe and KM, I have found one of the device upgrades for a combo Panasonic that the great folks here have already created, and added some of the learned functions that I wanted to be able to use. I have 4 macros, so I can press 1 button (DVD as an example) and turn the TV on, set it to the proper mode for DVD, turn the HT on, in the proper mode to watch a DVD, and leave the remote in the rcvr mode so I can control the play, pause, position memory, etc. and volume. Same button turns everything off. Second macro (on VCR Button) does the same thing for VCR watching, 3rd for just TV watching, and 4th macro for listening to the tuner on the HT.

I found that there is a definite learning curve to this JP1 stuff, but it finally "hits" and makes sense. The experts here are REAL good about helping us newbies, and I would be lost totally without them.
asinsh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that you picked a hard thing to start with: a device that uses a combination protocol (in effect, multiple devices in a single code). Devices that use only a regular protocol are much much easier and do not require that much of a learning curve since KM and IR.exe are pretty intuitive (really).

You keep mentioning that you clear out your remote each time you start...no need to do that. Whatever you are putting in when you upload from IR.exe will wipe out whatever is already there.

Also, you seem to be worrying about which device mode to select in KM ('Tuner' or 'amp' or whatever). The only thing that that selection does it to tell KM which remote buttons are available to be used in a given mode. A remote will allow you to use some buttons in some modes and others in other modes and we're stuck with that. So, for example, on a 2116 you will find by looking at the "Layout" tab in KM that the CBL mode uses almost all of the buttons but the other modes generally do not. So, I end up using CBL mode for my replay and my plasma and my receiver, etc, so that there are more buttons I can directly assign in an upgrade code. The only downside to that is that the LCD screen will report "CBL" for all of your devices (unless you use an extender ot reproragm it), but I don't consider that much of a drawback. Whichever buttons you cannot directly assign in keymaster you can always do keymoves for, but upgrade codes use memory far more efficiently than do keymoves so we generally try to do as much as possibole with the upgrade codes themselves. And there is no such thing as selecting the 'wrong' one...they will all work the same, but (like I already said) you just may not have as many buttons that KM will let you directly assign if you pick a dumb choice.

Hope this helps a little.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: