JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR v8.01 wish list
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: IR v8.01 wish list Reply with quote

Hey Graham, I don't know if you want to consider a completely new request for this v8.00 release or wait and consider it for the next release, but I have a new request.

I've found the original posts where I spec'd out the rounding feature that IR uses for the display of learned signals and I've posted my new request there, just in case you have any interest in reading the old posts.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=74557#74557

Last edited by The Robman on Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I would prefer to leave your new request for the next release. I'm hoping that Beta 6 will be the last beta version before a general release of IR 8.00.

Edit: IR8.01 is now in Beta test and can be found here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6717

There is a new thread for discussion of the Beta version.

Graham

Last edited by mathdon on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:52 am; edited 4 times in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's totally cool, I understand. Consider this the first 8.01 request! Smile
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, I know that this is a bit late, but I have another thing on my wish list.

I think there is a NOTES section or something else. When you go to do a file new, IR will show you something in there. I've never found any information in there, but I'd really like to have something off the menu that displays this information, and I'd like to see this area used for information about the quirks of the remotes.

I'd like things to be posted in this that tell things like:

This remote doesn't allow keymoves.
This remote doesn't send EFC's or doesnt' send 5 digit EFC's or only sends 5 digit EFC's.
This remote has special capabilities.
This remote has a flaw, that sends it into an infinite loop if a bad code 4 digit code is used.

It would only require the display, and shouldn't be a problem for RMIR or RM since the section is already in the RDF.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "wish list" item: To be able to resize the various windows in IR's display panels. For example on the General Tab, to be able to expand the "Other Settings" window could be useful to view more of the settings at one time if one's display can handle it.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
kevjs1982

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I would find really useful (especially when working with the URC7780) is that in the drop downs that show "DEV1, DEV2, DEV3" (e.g. the Bound Key part of Key Moves) it was to show a description instead

e.g. currently

DEV1
DEV2
DEV3
DEV4
DEV5
DEV6
DEV7

e.g. usefully..

DEV1 - Television
DEV2 - PVR
DEV3 - DVD Player
DEV4 - DAB Tuner
DEV5 - FM Tuner
DEV6 - ITV Digibox
DEV7 - Switchbox

I would suggest showing chosing the default name in the following order

1: Free text the user types in a new column, if left blank over write with the following

2: Take the Notes field from the devices tab but stripping the remote master advert - e.g. "Goodmans GDVR 305DVBT - Freeview Optimised (RM v1.84a)" becomes "Goodmans GDVR 305DVBT - Freeview Optimised" when available (also ignoring anything after a CR)

3: On devices like the URC7780 showing the button label - e.g. "DVD"

4: Where the label is blank, or not available the code "CBL 1010"

On the devices tab it would be handy for the notes to be in the left hand panel

SAT: 2012
SAT: 2013
SAT: 2015
TV: 2021

is a tad confusing!

SAT: 2012 - Philips AZ6000
SAT: 2013 - Goodmans GDVR 305DVBT - Freeview Optimised
SAT: 2015 - Goodmans GDVR 305DVBT - DVD Optimised
TV: 2021 - Matsui 14V1T TEXT

Would be far less confusing and less error prone

BTW, the forcing a device code to be on the device would have saved me so much anguish trying to get my 7880 working - I thought I had bricked it first time. Surprised
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that would be useful when creating macros and even much more useful when looking at a macro that I wrote a year or two earlier is an indication of the function along with the key. I realize that the key press is the thing that must be recorded, but maybe the function in parenthesis would help in reading and understanding the macro. It could be optional for those cases where it is totally redundant.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Add option (default off) to upload without verification, like RMIR does.

2. Improve the documenation (File -> Summary): Ability to generate output in different formats: xml, html, rft, text, ... One way to implement this would be to do just the xml in the main program, as an intermediate format, and then generate the other formats from that, using, e.g., XSLT-Stylesheets. A simple "Print"-button would be easy.

3. The General-Pane in the GUI is slightly illogical: Why are some options radio-buttoned, while the rest are only in the menus? Suggestion: remove radio buttons from pane. There is also a logic overlap between the upper row of buttons (above the panes) and the large buttons in the middle of the pane. Suggestion: remove the upper row of buttons, and put those that are not there already together with the buttons in the middle of the "General" pane. ... But of course I am not really a GUI guru...

4. Understand UNC names (\\server\...) in all cases (at least for the RFD-directory, and I suspect more it is not working)

(Edit: added #4)
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:

I'm saving the things in this thread for later consideration, so I'm not generally replying to them, but Barf, I think this request of yours is already present. There is an Interface/Verify Writes menu option that is on by default. I think all you need to do is turn this off.

Graham
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:

This already exists. Go to Advanced and select "Enable Unsafe Upload", then a new button will appear that will let you upload without verification.

Barf wrote:
3. The General-Pane in the GUI is slightly illogical: Why are some options radio-buttoned, while the rest are only in the menus? Suggestion: remove radio buttons from pane.

The other options are all controlled by the RDF and the RDF is only selected when the data has been downloaded from the remote. These buttons control HOW you download from the remote. First, you're telling IR whether you have a JP1.x vs. JP1 (EEPROM) remote, then you're telling IR whether you have an EEPROM 2k or smaller vs. 4k or larger (because the read routines are different).

I would be in favor of having IR detect these settings for itself though, eliminating the need for the radio buttons.

Barf wrote:
There is also a logic overlap between the upper row of buttons (above the panes) and the large buttons in the middle of the pane. Suggestion: remove the upper row of buttons, and put those that are not there already together with the buttons in the middle of the "General" pane. ... But of course I am not really a GUI guru...

I've only just got Graham to add the upper row of buttons and you're already asking for them to be deleted? Smile Of course there's a logical overlap because the upper buttons are new. What you're missing is that the upper row of buttons is available in all tabs, which is why I asked for them to be added. I would agree that some of the buttons in the middle of the General tab are now redundant and I would not object to them being deleted, however there are some optional buttons in that level that would need to be duplicated in the upper row befor you could delete the middle row completely.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one that I'd *LOVE* to have taken care of. If I've selected Suppress Messages from the Advanced menu, I don't want to see the "The data has changed. So you want to save the changes?" message.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started thinking ahead a bit, so this is probably not for IR 8.00, but I have a few questions I need answered before I can plan.

As Barf pointed out, there is now some redundancy between the middle row of buttons on the General tab and the toolbar buttons. There are two "optional" buttons in the middle row, hidden unless activated from the Advanced menu. These are Unsafe Upload and Raw Download. How about having toolbar buttons for these and removing the middle row. If that's OK, should these toolbar buttons be hidden, or merely disabled (and made grey) when not activated? My preference would be disabled and greyed.

That would leave the Interface selection buttons. It would be nice to automate the selection between JP1 and JP1.x, if I can. That would be by testing if the JP1 interface was present and selecting JP1.x if it was not (or perhaps the other way round, depending on which is easier). But does anyone connect both JP1 and JP1.x leads to different USB ports? How to automate in that case? And what about the Force <= 2K and Force >= 2K for JP1? These are available on the Interface menu. Would it be enough to have those, and not radio buttons at all?

If this was done, there would be more space for the other three panels. I would then like to make them all re-sizeable, as at present the Settings and Notes panels can be enlarged by enlarging the whole form, but the Device Buttons panels is stuck at a size that I find too small - and will certainly be too small if I add the Notes column that Rob has suggested.

Food for thought. Views, anyone? And finally the reason this is here, rather than in the IR 8.01 Wish List thread. I don't really want add any more new features to IR 8.00, but these aren't functional features, they are useability features, and ones that nag me every time I open IR. If they are liked, do you want to delay a general release of IR 8.00 so they can go in? I'm not sure how much effort is involved, so I wouldn't promise to do it for IR 8.00 but I would look into it.

Graham
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how important the buttons' and radio buttons' re-organization is. I suppose that for aesthetic beauty and consistency, what you describe is ultimately better and I agree with your proposals.

I would argue that resizability of the panels is of much more direct utility to me ("Al Franken") and would encourage you to at least do THAT, and the button machinations, if insufficiently straghtforward, could wait for 8.01

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents: I also agree to remove the middle buttons. I think the radio buttons can also be removed, even if you can't auto-detect. They're still available in the menu. Don't forget the Upload Wav button. Does it belong on the toolbar too, with the same visibility as the existing button?

Question: Does the 4th column in the device buttons grid on General do anything? Could/should it be used for notes?

Along the lines of streamlining the UI, but a new feature, what do you think about adding a little more animation/status during upload/download. I like the little red led at the bottom left since it mimics the remote, but it's very subtle. Maybe a popup with a progress bar or something that goes away by itself? Just a thought.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm OK with the hidden buttons moving to the menu bar, but I would prefer them be hidden when not activated, the reason being that people are going to ask what they are and why they're hidden otherwise. But if it's too difficult to hide them, I don't object to them just being disabled.

Having IR detect JP1 vs. JP1.x would be desirable. I don't recall if Mark Pauker had problems trying to do that in the past or not.

The "Force" options are there for people with the URC-9960B01 remote, because IR cannot reliably tell which option to use. If it used the wrong option, the data got wrapped and was useless.

I would hate to see these options be only accessible from the pull down menus. If you don't like them where they are, drop the complete line to the bottom of the screen (just above the "Move/macro" status line). Maybe there could be a menu option that controls whether the line is displayed or not.

I will sometimes have a JP1 parallel cable *and* a JP1.x USB cable connected at the same time, so I would like to see Parallel, Serial, USB added to the "JP1" side of the line.

I don't think we should hold up 8.00 anymore for this, so let's move this discussion over to the 8.01 wish list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: