JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Blu-Ray with discretes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Blu-Ray with discretes? Reply with quote

I'm finally going to make the switch and since my DVD is the ONLY thing in my HT that doesn't have discretes and my kids/wife STILl can't figure out that the remote keeps state of the device and push buttons on the damned thing all the time, I'm looking for a Blu-Ray player with discrete on/off so that I don't have to deal with the "remote is out of sync" issues anymore.

Suggestions on a reasonably priced Blu-Ray player that has discretes?

Thanks
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sony BDP-S350 and it has discretes. I like it fine. If you want to take advantage of the lossless audio codecs, however, with the 350 you need a receiver that accepts HDMI A-V and can decode the lossless audio feeds. If you want the BD player to decode the audio and give you 7.1 analog outs, you need the upper-scale BDP-S550.

Other brands have analogously-priced players, so I won't say the Sony is better or worse. I'll just say I'm satisfied with it.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
floyd1977

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Sony BDP-S350 too, and I'm satisfied with it. My receiver is not HDMI capable, so I will probably upgrade it at some point, so I can enjoy the newer 7.1 sound formats that Capn is referring to. I ended up going with the S350 because I found it at Target on sale for $250, plus I got a $25 gift card. This was a few months ago; I'm not sure what it's priced at now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: