JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help w/ planning my upgade

View previous topic :: View next topic  
merlin803

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Help w/ planning my upgade Reply with quote

I broke down and ordered a JP1 cable tonight and have spent a couple of hours reading a ton of information (as you may expect, I have just scratched the surface...).

As has been stated before here, this can all be intimidating!

Now to my question: I have a OFA 8810W and it works ok with my equipment as is but my main motivation for JP1 is that I would like to assign macros to the device keys. What is the best (easiest) method to do this? (do I need an extender for this?).

Also, not sure if it is needed but I have downloaded my Device Codes from the files section.

My equipment:

Onkyo HT-R500 audio reciever
Onkyo DV-CP500 DVD player
RCA UTV Sattelite receiver
RCA TV (model?)

Thanks in advance for any advice!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to program macros to the device buttons, with the URC-8810w, you will need to use one of the extenders.

If that is too intimidating for a beginner, try doing other things with JP1 first and then when you're comfortable install the extender.

As a stop-gap, you can assign your macros to the shifted device buttons until you install the extender.
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Help w/ planning my upgade Reply with quote

merlin803 wrote:
As has been stated before here, this can all be intimidating!

Unlike Radio Shack -- if you have questions, we have the answers Smile
merlin803 wrote:

Now to my question: I have a OFA 8810W and it works ok with my equipment as is but my main motivation for JP1 is that I would like to assign macros to the device keys. What is the best (easiest) method to do this? (do I need an extender for this?).

For the 8810w you do need an extender to put macros on the device keys. However, you can put a macro on Shift-Device key without an extender and that's an easier way to get started (the shift key is the set key in the lower right corner).
merlin803 wrote:

Also, not sure if it is needed but I have downloaded my Device Codes from the files section.

You would need these if you wanted to create your own device upgrades (if you wanted to assign different functions to different buttons). But you don't need to do that right away since built-in codes work for your devices.
merlin803

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is lots to read until my cable arrives.

You sure that there isn't someone here with the exact same components that could just give me a copy of their file to download, lol.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merlin803 wrote:
You sure that there isn't someone here with the exact same components that could just give me a copy of their file to download, lol.

But you've already found built in codes that work for you, so in good shape already. Alot of the people that come here have 2 or 3 devices that don't have built in codes, so they need upgrades just to get started!

Don't worry about JP1 though, while it does seem intimidating at first, I can promise you that once the light bulb goes on, it'll be as easy as pie! Smile
merlin803

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that you are right! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: