JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Code/device upgrade for RCA VH915?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtw819

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Code/device upgrade for RCA VH915? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've searched around for an upgrade for the RCA VH915 4-port A/V/S switchbox, but no luck. I've got an RS 15-2117, not that it matters. I suppose I could try the VH920 model file and see if it works, but I'm wondering if someone has already had success with the VH915 already? Otherwise, I'll try some IR learning and see what that reveals.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Todd
usblipitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCA VH920.txt
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should really give the upgrade a try before asking questions about it, as in all likelyhood it will work.

Does the VH915 come with a remote (the VH920 doesn't)? If it does, you can learn the buttons using your 15-2117 and that will tell you the correct codes.
rtw819

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: RCA VH915 device upgrade file Reply with quote

Hi all,

The VH920 upgrade device does not work on the VH915.

Here is a device file that controls the RCA VH915... Not sure how to post it otherwise:

[Edit: KM upgrade file deleted]
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: RCA VH915 device upgrade file Reply with quote

rtw819 wrote:
Hi all,

The VH920 upgrade device does not work on the VH915.

Here is a device file that controls the RCA VH915... Not sure how to post it otherwise:

We're still using the JP1 Yahoo group to hold our files, so that's where you'd upload it. But I already did it for you. One question, in the KM file you didn't specify an NEC1 device which means it will use device = 0. Is that correct? Could you make sure you deleted your learned signals when you tested the device upgrade?

By the way, thanks for creating the upgrade and sharing. That's what JP1 is all about.
rtw819

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I deleted the learned signals and selected the new device (uploaded) I had created for that device on the remote. It tested out OK with the new device. It's only my second self made device file, so bear with me on that. It did show it was an NEC1 device, however I'm not sure what you mean when you say "device=0" ?? Let me know what I need to look at. I just entered the EFC's from the learned codes on a blank spreadsheet. It works great, but perhaps I missed something?
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the learned signals tab IR has the following columns:

Protocol
Device
SubDevice
OBC
Hex Cmd
EFC

But these columns can be sized so that nothing shows in them and you can barely see them. Its possible that this device uses device = 0 -- if the codes work that is probably the case. But if you learn one of the signals again and resize the columns you can see what's listed under device and subdevice.
rtw819

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Device code 0 is correct. Reply with quote

Yep, I went back and verified the learned codes, and they do indeed show the Device is set as 0. The sub-device entries are blank. Hope this clears up any questions. If not, let me know and I'll dig deeper.

Thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's odd that RCA would use the NEC1 protocol for one of their devices, I wonder if it's a re-badged item. Plus, that NEC1 device 0 code has been used already, for the Norcent DVD player (among other things).
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
It's odd that RCA would use the NEC1 protocol for one of their devices, I wonder if it's a re-badged item.

I'm wondering how Todd learned the signals? Does the VH915 have it's own remote? Or, is it possible that this is one of those devices that "learns" a specific signal to enable a given output? I recall RS having one that worked that way.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming that it came with a remote. The VH920 doesn't come with a remote, you're supposed to use it's own learning features to make it respond to other signals, but this has proven to be less than reliable, and it loses it's memory whenthe power goes out. Luckily, we discovered that it defaults to certain RCA codes, so that's where the upgrade comes from.
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own a VH915, but if you do a web search (there are a millions of these things on ebay) you always see a remote with the unit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: