JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How do I use this Pioneer discrete code?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cfraser

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: How do I use this Pioneer discrete code? Reply with quote

I got the codes AA 1A for ON and AA 1B for OFF for a Pro-151FD display from the Pioneer web site.

I have not used my JP1 setup for several months, am older to the point where memory is more ephemeral, and am not sure how I use this code info. Normally I program my OFA with all the needed codes, then learn them to my "dumb" (but otherwise nice) non-JP1 remote. (I restrict use of my JP1 remote as they're not easy to find around here now.)

In this case I don't have a device code to start with, and I'm not used to that. What I need is just a little prod in the right direction, not a handholding. Smile Thanks.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I use this Pioneer discrete code? Reply with quote

If you have a Pioneer upgrade for device number 170, you can add those using OBC numbers 26 and 27.

If you have a Pioneer setup code for device 170 already installed or built-in you could use that with EFC numbers (I don't have my list of setup codes handy to know if you likely have such a setup code built in, and anyway you didn't say what OFA model).

To get the EFC numbers use LSB-comp translation from those two OBC numbers.

cfraser wrote:

In this case I don't have a device code to start with,

I think what you mean by "device code" is what I mean by "setup code". The "device number" 170 I mentioned above can't be used directly with your OFA remote. It can be used in making a new setup code in KM or RR; or (if I had the right list handy and knew your OFA model) in finding a built-in setup code if there is one.
cfraser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John.

It's an 8017, I'm using Remote Control Programmer 6.20.

Yes, it's not having a setup code to start out with that's hindering me. I'll see if I can find out about one, would appreciate it if you have a list of some that might work. I am not sure how Pioneer expects people to use the IR code info they provide, there must be some assumption they make that "everybody else" knows about.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild guess but try Setup code 0166, 0423 or 0866. I base this on johnsfine saying Device code 170 and on the fact that those Setup codes exist with that Device number in other remotes (although I don't know of they're on the 8017).
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I'm remembering model numbers correctly. Is the 8017 the one that is the same internally as 6011 but with two extra device buttons (same code sets etc. as the 8811)?

The 6011/8811 family have TV/0166 for simple (one part) Pioneer signals with device number 170.

OBC numbers 26 and 27 are EFC numbers 247 and 251.

cfraser wrote:
I am not sure how Pioneer expects people to use the IR code info they provide, there must be some assumption they make that "everybody else" knows about.

They used to assume (very incorrectly) that the people who want discrete codes would have some clue what to do with "AA 1A" etc. But very few did.
Now they also publish the same info in Pronto Hex, assuming (somewhat more accurately) that most people who want discrete codes know what to do with Pronto Hex. If you used the Pronto Hex and the IrTool program, you would get the same:
Protocol = Pioneer
Device = 170
OBC = 26 or 27
that I got from looking at "AA 1A" and "AA 1B".
Then you still need some JP1 expertise to know what to do with that info.
cfraser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again guys. I'll see what I can do with that info. As you know, it is very inconvenient with macros to not being able to ensure a device is in a known state, makes the macros almost useless and in some cases more annoying to use than not...

I think the 8017B may have been a Canadian model?? I use the 881x/801x/601x remote type. It does only have setup code 0166 for Pioneer TVs, and I know Pio has changed remote code style since then.

One last question: do I have access to the required (new??) Pioneer protocol with the software I'm using? I certainly don't have the expertise to create a protocol.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfraser wrote:
I know Pio has changed remote code style since then.

Not if the "AA 1A" you quoted was correct.

Quote:
One last question: do I have access to the required (new??) Pioneer protocol with the software I'm using? I certainly don't have the expertise to create a protocol.

Try using TV/0166 first. I don't think you need any new protocol.
cfraser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again John. I forgot a lot more than I thought LOL, but I'm on the right track now, and I'll report back when I've done the best I can.

Edit: OK, that went well, and it works just fine. I must have had some junk in the file I uploaded to the remote before, maybe I was playing with something way back and forgot about it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Discrete Codes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: