JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Getting advance codes from MFG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Getting advance codes from MFG Reply with quote

I recently posted a [url=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/3.%20Device%20Codes/DVD/Oritron_DAV3101_Home_Theater_System_(DVD-0652).txt]KM upgrade for a Oritron DVD/HT System DAV 3101[/url] at yahoo. It is fully functional but it contains a number of functions that are only toggles (power, av select, tuner select). I have seen where others have contacted manufacturers and gotten advanced codes for equipment so I thought I'd try that and see what happens. Oritrons first response said contact the maker of the remote Crying or Very sad So I reply back asking for discrete codes for power, av, etc. Their response was to copy and paste from the faq on thier website. The only possible meaningfull information was "The Frequency that our DVD Players work on is 38KHz ST code format."

Is it meaningfull at all?
Is that pretty typical?

I'm curious if others have a particular method they use when contacting manufacturers.

I did call thier customer support line. I wish I could recount the conversation in a manner that would do it justice...

The rep started by telling me to get the info I needed from the maker of the remote...

Then he said that there weren't advance codes...

Then he said they recommended against using universal remotes as they could damage the equipment Razz I repeated that back to him and asked him to confirm that that was what he had said, and he confirmed it.

I realized it was time to hang up, especially since I was laughing to hard to effectively continue at that point.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Getting advance codes from MFG Reply with quote

TimH wrote:
Then he said they recommended against using universal remotes as they could damage the equipment Razz I repeated that back to him and asked him to confirm that that was what he had said, and he confirmed it.

Look at the bright side... at least he didn't try to sell you batteries! Laughing
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you click on the "code list" tab in KM (thats the one on the far right at the bottom) you can see all the EFC codes that you have used, and all the EFC codes you need to try, before you give up. Note that in the upper left corner of this page you can sort the page by OBCs or EFCs.

Either assign them 10 at a time to the number keys and try them that way to see if they do anything interesting, or you can always try the EFCs manually by entering the device mode on the remote, then tap SET key, then try an EFC. For example, SET-237

When I sort the page by OBCs, there is a hole at EFC-237. Try that one. EFC-141 and EFC-244 look promising as well (the bottom and top of the list)

-Steve
TimH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, I appreciate the tip on searching the EFC's, and it would be handy to have discrete's, especially since I'm still struggling with Ext3/ToadTog etc. I'll tinker with those EFC's when I get home. If I discover anything meaningful I'll post the results.

My original post was really intended just to provide some entertainment to the group. If I could get get some advice on getting info out of a manufacturer, that would be a bonus. Laughing
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosts OEMs are very closed lipped when it comes to the IR signals they use, so typically there's not much joy to be had there (though there are a few that are surprisingly forthcoming).

Discrete codes are typically found by trial and error and then posted on the web.
GMan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I upload a file for a new device, I usually go ahead and try ALL unused EFC codes twice. Once with the device off and then with the device on. I do this by loading the original data into the remote (8810w), then using the "set 9-7-5" (?) button sequence to transmit the
The total number of EFC codes is only 256 (right?). In a couple of cases, I've had recoverable problems:

Panasonic VCR: if a recall, one of the IR codes is a reset code which resets the channel programming.
Cyberhome DVD: one or two of the codes lock up the player, requiring unplugging the unit.

What would be cool is a protocol that cycles through all the EFC or OBC codes, one per keypress, on an LCD remote that displays the current code on the LCD.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMan wrote:
Before I upload a file for a new device, I usually go ahead and try ALL unused EFC codes twice. Once with the device off and then with the device on. I do this by loading the original data into the remote (8810w),

You are to be commended for puttig in the extra effort,thank you.

GMan wrote:
.. then using the "set 9-7-5" (?) button sequence to transmit the

"975" is the learning command number. To manually test an EFC you press (and release) the SETUP button, then type the 3 digit EFC code. You can hold the final digit to simulate holding the real button.

GMan wrote:
The total number of EFC codes is only 256 (right?).

For setup codes that support EFCs, there are "up to" 256 usuable EFCs available.

GMan wrote:
In a couple of cases, I've had recoverable problems:

Panasonic VCR: if a recall, one of the IR codes is a reset code which resets the channel programming.
Cyberhome DVD: one or two of the codes lock up the player, requiring unplugging the unit.

Typically, you need to be careful doing this with TV sets, but as you've found there are other cases where there can be problems too.

GMan wrote:
What would be cool is a protocol that cycles through all the EFC or OBC codes, one per keypress, on an LCD remote that displays the current code on the LCD.

There is one in the Special Protocols folder, but I forget who many different remotes it works for.

What most of us do, rather than use the SETUP-nnn method, is create an upgrade (using KM or RM) that includes all the unaccounted for EFCs, then simply test the buttons to see if any of them do anything.
TimH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a search through all the un-assigned EFCs (KM upgrd method) and didn't discover anything new as best I can tell. Existing functions were duplicated via multiples of 8 of the original EFC all over the place. When I filled in what I'd found on a code list printout sorted by OBC I ended up with little groups of (mostly) three of the original functions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: