JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR.exe, Keymoves and Device Keymaps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gstrickland

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: IR.exe, Keymoves and Device Keymaps Reply with quote

The readme file for IR 1.86 says:

The Buttons panel is split in two parts. On the left is a table listing the buttons available on the remote. This table consists of 3 columns:

Button -- The name of the button. If the name is displayed in red, it means that no functions have been assigned to it. If the name has an asterisk (*) at the end, it means that the button is NOT in the keymap for the current device type, and any function assigned to the button will generate a keymove."

Function -- The name of the function assigned to the normal state of the button. If the cell for a particular button is grey, assignment in not allowed.

Shift -- The name of the function assgined to the shifted state of the button. If the cell for a particular button is grey, assignment in not allowed. Functions assigned to shifted buttons are almost always turned into keymoves, since very few keymaps have shifted buttons in them.

XShift -- The name of the function assgined to the XShifted state of the button. If the cell for a particular button is grey, assignment in not allowed. This column is only shown for this remotes that support it, and it may have a different name, depending on the remote.

On the right is the list of functions (normal or external) that are available. Functions with red names have not been assigned to any button.

I'm confused. What is meant by "the keymap for the current device type?" Is this something which I can modify? I'm not using any shifted buttons, yet I have about 37 keymoves programmed into my URC 8910 (something I never realized I'd done) and now I'm out of memory. Forgive me for being slow, but who/what defines the "keymap" for any given "device type?" Is this due to some limitation which URC created when it designed the 8910?

If I can modify the "keymap" for the "device type," how do I do that?

If I cannot modify the "keymap" for the "device type," and I need more memory, is installing an "extender" (raises visions of a combined root canal and colonoscopy) the only way to get there?
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some device types (TV) have different buttons mapped than others (VCR). Any codes assigned to buttons not matching the keymap for that device are saved as KeyMoves in a different part of memory. Keymapping is designed into the remote and likely done to make optimum use of memory in the remote - little point in assigning FFwd and Rew to a standard TV, for instance. It's a pain when using JP1 to create upgrades but the remote wasn't designed to be end-user programmable.

You can create all your upgrades as Cable type if you want and this will minimize (although not eliminate entirely) KeyMoves. This will, however, "break" volume punch-through for some devices thus created.

Your best bet is to install the Extender. It will free up memory dramatically as well as introducing you to faster macros, long- and double- keypress tricks, device-specific macros etc. You "lose" the learning memory but it's a piece of cake to reset your remote if you need to use the learning function. You then simply re-upload your saved IR file (with extender) and you're back in business again. Remember to create backups of successfully-working remote setups before you tinker.

I've had root canal (bearable) but I don't fancy the other.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

underquark wrote:
You can create all your upgrades as Cable type if you want and this will minimize (although not eliminate entirely) KeyMoves. This will, however, "break" volume punch-through for some devices thus created.

While this is a good suggestion for a non-LCD remote, this would cause the LCD screen on the URC-8910 to always read CABLE regardless of which mode the remote was in, which is probably undesirable to the OP.

Using the extender is probably the best solution, but if you want to try other methods first, my recommendation would be to review which functions are present as keymoves and decide which ones you really need. It's quite possible that you programmed certain functions just because you could, even though you thought you'd never need them.

In the future, when you're programming an upgrade, keep in mind which buttons are available.
gstrickland

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll... <gulp>... try to install an extender in one of my 8910s. It seems pretty intimidating, but I suppose I can always fall back to previous.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most extender zip files come with a sample IR image, so if you don't mind starting over, installing the extender can be as simple as loading an IR image.

And yes, make sure that you save your current image before proceeding.

If you have a lot of programming in your 8910 that you want to keep, then you would need to use the extender install program (exinstall).

If you post your current IR image, we might be able to give you some tips on how to use your memory better.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upload your IR file to the Diagnosis Area, plase, and send another posting here with a link to that file. Include a wish list of the functions you'd like your remote to perform. Guaranteed you'll get more suggestions than you can shake a stick at.

Remember to link to the file - people hereabouts understandably don't like hunting for files but are more than happy to help someone with a clear question who has linked to the appropriate file.

Using the 8910 extender for so long, I'd forgotten about the built-in display function reading "VCR" or "CABLE". Another thing regarding the extender for the 8910 - it lets you assign "Custom Mode Names" to the device buttons so that, for instance, DVD can read "SONY DVDR", AUX can read "BDRM TV" etc..
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: