JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

TV Brands with direct source selection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
km

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: TV Brands with direct source selection Reply with quote

My old HD TV broke and I'm in the market for a new 37-40" 1080P LCD. I really value being able to program my JP1 remote to do direct source selection. It's really difficult to tell if a given TV has this feature, since they often don't supply a remote with the feature even if the set is capable, and the spec sheets usually don't say.

I'm looking for advice on brands, models that are known to have the feature.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony does have discrete input codes. Proscan doesn't (avoid that one anyway - looks good in the store but doesn't last). Those are the only ones I know for certain.
bobshults2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Toshibs Regza 42RV530 42-inch LCD that has discrete codes for input selection as well as discrete power codes. Codes are available in file section listed as "Toshiba Regza LCD 47HL167 some discretes"
greenough1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let discrete input selection be a complete deal breaker. Some sets that don't have discrete input selection, can take 2 key presses to get a certain input. let's say you have inputs 1-5. pressing input, then number 3 will get you to input 3. so you can get there (in)directly, with 2 key presses that can be part of a macro. Repeatingly pressing the input key will cycle through the inputs sequentially. I use the 2 key press in a macro with my older toshiba CRT RPTV.

jeff
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Sony does have discrete input codes. Proscan doesn't (avoid that one anyway - looks good in the store but doesn't last). Those are the only ones I know for certain.

My old ProScan does have discrete input commands. The RCA devices (Proscan is one of them) actually have "discrete on/input" as a single command (i.e. turn the TV on and set input to DVD) which is really cool. My samsung DLP has discrete inputs, but nothing works for about 15 seconds after the power comes on, so you have to do stupid tricks to make sure that it does what you want.

The 36" tube ProScan that I have (std def, analog) is about 8-10 years old and has never missed a beat.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking about the "new" proscan LCD's. Apparently not too long ago RCA(Thomson) licensed the name to the korean ON corporation which now has nothing to do with the RCA proscan brand/model anymore and aren't made by RCA. These new ones are a completely different animal. Used to be good stuff (hence the value of buying the name). Mine died after only a month and could not be repaired. Maybe I just got a lemon.
Evan_s

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Olevia HD tv has discrete inputs but may not be the best option now.
sixt7gt350

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan_s wrote:
My Olevia HD tv has discrete inputs but may not be the best option now.

Which Olevia?
I have the 537 and discrete inputs are discussed for serial control, but I've not found discrete via IR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: