JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

15-2116 - macros on device buttons?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbollt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Rob and all Reply with quote

I had difficulty understanding the JP1 stuff (have since worked thru it with all of you wonderful folks' help) but it was dificult for me. Consequently, I am hesitant to start with the extenders. I have the 15-1994, took the 8910 back..couldn't stand the red lighting, didn't need the LCD, and like the key shape/layout on the 1994 better. I want to use the device keys for macros....I see you mention that the 15-2116 may be able to use macros on the device keys (using JP1) Can anyone confirm this? And this is WITHOUT the use of extenders? This would be a great help to me. Any other comments about 15-1994 vs 15-2116??? Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes
jbollt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: oh man! Reply with quote

OK, Now I've done it. Bought the 15-2116, and after converting the KM upgrade for my Panasonic combo HT to the proper remote name, 2116, and copying it to IR, again using 2116, then putting in my key moves, and trying to assign one macro as a test to the TV device button, i get a VERY dim LCD display, and the macro doesn't work. no surprise. When trying to reset it by using the setup, ops reset, I get a message that says BAD E2. Did I fry the remote? Or is it bad from the store and requires a replacement at Radio Shack?

argh! Thanks for your help
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: oh man! Reply with quote

jbollt wrote:
When trying to reset it by using the setup, ops reset, I get a message that says BAD E2. Did I fry the remote? Or is it bad from the store and requires a replacement at Radio Shack?

We haven't had an instance of anyone frying a remote with their JP1 cable yet, so it's unlikely that you are the first. Therefore, the remote is most likely defective and should be returned.

With that said, it's possible that very weak batteries could cause the same symptoms. You might want to try fresh batteries before returning the remote to the Shack.

(If your Radio Shack Salesperson didn't automatically try to add batteries to your initial purchase, complain to the manager and I'm sure they'll be fired or maybe even decapitated on the spot Smile )
jbollt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new batteries, and when taken out for a few minutes, then put back in, the lcd says mem fault...and IR no longer recognizes the remote
jbollt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Bad E2 fixed, I think Reply with quote

ok..whew! I was able to get the 2116 to ops reset, and now all seems kosher again. Now I am trying to get the macro on the TV key. It seems that I have to set another device to be the TV device, in order to make the macro work on the TV key. This turns on the tv in the proper input mode and the HT souround in a box on and in tv mode. I now will repeat this for VCR use (VCR key) and DVD use, DVD key. Am I on the right track? Any ideas if this will work, and what pitfalls I might stumble across? (while I get busy doing it in IR) Thanks! Smile
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OPS RESET isn't the best reset to use, try doing a full MFR RESET (by pressing MUTE as soon as the LCD menu is activated)
jbollt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reset and macros Reply with quote

Thanks, Rob...The Ops Reset seems to have worked, and I have the 2116 working kinda the way I have intended. Is there any further reason to do the MFR Reset as you suggested?

Also, was I correct in needing to set my 3 devices, TV, VCR, and HTIB on alternate device buttons (CD, CBL, and SAT) in order to use the TV device button, VCR button and DVD button for macros?

thanks!

Jeff
jbollt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all...I have 3 macros to turn on and off my TV, DVD, or VCR (on those device buttons) in all the proper input/output modes. To do this, on my 15-2116, it seemed like I needed to set the 3 devices to alternate device buttons. (CD, SAT, CBL) When I originaly tried to do one of these macros (for TV viewing) on the TV device button, I ended up with the Bad E2 error, so I am hesitant to try that again. Is there anyone who can confirm this? Was the fact that I tried to set the macro on the device button that was being used a problem, or did I just do something else wrong?

I will porobably get into the extenders after awhile, but need to get higher up the leasrning curve first.

I know I have been asking alot of questions, and apologize for taking so long to "get" this...but, I AM getting there.

Thanks!

Jeff
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset and macros Reply with quote

jbollt wrote:
Thanks, Rob...The Ops Reset seems to have worked, and I have the 2116 working kinda the way I have intended. Is there any further reason to do the MFR Reset as you suggested?

If you ever get a "MEM FAULT" you will need use the MFR RESET to clear it.
jbollt wrote:
Also, was I correct in needing to set my 3 devices, TV, VCR, and HTIB on alternate device buttons (CD, CBL, and SAT) in order to use the TV device button, VCR button and DVD button for macros?

Absolutely not, you should be able to program a macro to the TV button and also have a setup code programmed to it.

However, I don't recall whether the mode selection happens before or after the macro runs, maybe someone who knows can comment, but that should be easy to figure out with some testing.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere there was a version of JP1 something in which use of a macro on a device key automatically selected that device mode before the macro executed. But I can't remember which something that was and I don't remember anything recently working that way. Maybe it was one of Nicola's orriginal extenders. Maybe my early RCU810 extender.

For remotes that natively allow a (JP1 defined) macro on a device key, you would normally use the device key inside the macro at whatever point you want the device mode to change. (Macros don't nest, so using a device key inside a macro doesn't invoke the macro on that device key).

For extenders that support nesting or concatenation, you would use the extender's specific device selection commands inside the macro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: