JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Random (?) Key Mapping on URC10820

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronmon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Random (?) Key Mapping on URC10820 Reply with quote

To set the stage, I have been using JP1 on many remotes for the past three to four years; this site is great I have not needed to post in the past. I have different remotes in different rooms (RCA 810, 8910, 15-2014, …). As I move devices from room to room, I have always been successful using KM to change from one remote type to another, and then using IR to download it into the other remote. I was always successful, until now.

I recently purchased a URC 10820B00 (and the Tommy Tyler JP1.2/3 USB cable). I’m (as I have done in the past) bringing up the KM device definition for the 8910, then changing the remote type to URC-8820/10820/6820. I moved the resulting upgrade definition into IR (again with a new URC-6820/8820/10820 IR file), and Upload To Remote. The Keys appear to be mapped to random keys – certainly not how they were defined in KM. For example the CH+ button appears to be a Power button. I originally tried the 10820 extender (which I will need), then tried something simpler (no extender) – with no success.

I tried this with a couple of TVs – same results, but different random mapping.

I upgraded to KMv9.14 and IR 7.14 hoping that would make a difference – but it doesn’t.

So … what should I do?

I love this stuff, Thanks.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In IR.exe, in the General Tab and the Other Settings section. Scroll down and make sure KeyMap is set to Standard and NOT Alternate. You may want to check your initial base .IR file that you saved and its setting.
ronmon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought I had a handle on this. I’m looking at the General tab, in the Other Settings section, and I only see VPT stuff … “VPT Status”, “VPT Device”, “CBL VPT”, … No mention of Standard or Alternate??

And, as I discover how little I know, by ‘base IR’ - not sure what you mean. Is this in KM? I’m looking for a Standard/Alternate there also – and not finding it.

Thanks for the help … I just think I need a little more.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronmon wrote:
And I thought I had a handle on this. I’m looking at the General tab, in the Other Settings section, and I only see VPT stuff … “VPT Status”, “VPT Device”, “CBL VPT”, … No mention of Standard or Alternate??

I don't see anything other than VPT either.

ronmon wrote:
And, as I discover how little I know, by ‘base IR’ - not sure what you mean.

I think he's referring to the first download that you took from the remote, which hopefully you saved so you could return to how things were in the event that you messed things up.

I think in order to help you, we're probably going to have to see your IR file and at least one of your KM files.
ronmon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad news: the practice of saving the initial IR file I abandoned some time ago because this stuff was working so well on so many remotes.

Good News: I purchased two of these remotes, because, well, that’s what I do. But I prefer to not open the second unless I have to.

So…how do I attach or send the IR/KM files. Again this has worked so well for me over the last 4 years I have not had to learn how to post data.

I still love this stuff.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the same place where you have downloaded stuff before (ie, the file section) then navigate to the Diagnosis Area folder and use the UPLOAD button to load your files back into the file section.

Then post links to the files here in this thread.
ronmon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR and KM files uploaded -- thanks.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

Then post links to the files here in this thread.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's his KM file...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5986

and here's his IR file...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5985

I don't see anything obviously wrong with either file, but I do notice that all of the setup codes (apart from the TV) are set to zeroes, which tends to imply that the upgrade was loaded without first doing a download, which can be a risky thing to do, because sometimes there is data in the "EEPROM" area where we don't know what it does, and therefore it is undefined in the RDF. This doesn't usually cause a problem as it just means that IR.exe won't change it. However, if you don't download first, this data will be set to zeroes, which could cause an un-predictable reaction from the remote.

I would advise that you open the other remote, download it's memory, save the file, then upload it to the bad remote.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the current RDF file has had the alternate keymap setting added yet. Try adding it to the RDF as detailed in this post.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

I don't see anything obviously wrong with either file, but I do notice that all of the setup codes (apart from the TV) are set to zeroes, which tends to imply that the upgrade was loaded without first doing a download, which can be a risky thing to do, because sometimes there is data in the "EEPROM" area where we don't know what it does, and therefore it is undefined in the RDF. This doesn't usually cause a problem as it just means that IR.exe won't change it. However, if you don't download first, this data will be set to zeroes, which could cause an un-predictable reaction from the remote.

I would advise that you open the other remote, download it's memory, save the file, then upload it to the bad remote.

Also, I do know that the JP1.3 remotes misbehave when they have setup codes in them that are not either in the "ROM" area or the upgrade area. I'm not sure if the JP1.2 remotes do this, but I would do as Rob said and start with a "virgin" IR file downloaded from the remote

If you need to create one, do a 981 reset on the remote (press-hold setup, wait for the blinks, type in 981, the remote should flash a few times and then it erases everything) Then download that into IR and start from there to build your configuration.

-bill
ronmon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robman, you got it! I knew I got two remotes for a reason. – Thanks again!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it worked, now save that puppy just in case you mess up again. And while you're at it, make the change to the RDF that Mike suggested above, ie...

in the [Settings] section, add the following line...

KeyMap=$01F.5.1.0.0 (Standard;Alternate)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: