JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Plee for FAQ help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Plee for FAQ help Reply with quote

Hello All,

As you may (or may not) have noticed, we switched to some new FAQ software when Rob changed servers (somewhat)recently. I moved over the FAQs from the old FAQ-O-MATIC system, but the FAQ needs some SERIOUS help.

The FAQ is located at http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/faq .

If you feel you can contribute please email me at cnappi at austin d0t rr d0t com and I will send you the admin info. Note that the new FAQ system is much easier to use than the old one.

Thanks,
Chris Nappi
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would bump this back to the top.

Some thoughts:

Many of the answers have links to files at the Yahoo site and I assume we are still trying to find an alternative. Is it possible to, at least, have a download area at www.hifi-remote.com for the major tools and programs such as IR, KM Master, RM is probably fine at Source forge but a link, DecodeCCF, ccf2efc, cml2efc, etc. Probably a links area for other IR libraries, Rob Humphries site, etc.

Second, would it be useful by a poll, groupthink, or by fiat from Rob to develop a priority list for documentation/documentation updates and solicit volunteer?. My off the top of my head suggestions are:

1. Update JP1 for beginners -- we need an exuberant, articulate, relatively new advocate who can edit Tommy's document, substitute screen captures and update terminology add RM, etc.

2. An overview of how extenders work and explain the basic concept.

3. An overview of how the entire JP1 process works, tools available, and what they do

4. How to find IR commands: Learning, existing upgrades, ccf files, other IR libraries and an overview of decoding tools.

5. Finally in no order:

a. How to do a 9-8-1 reset on an LCD remote (I think there is more than one way depending on remote) I always have to search the OFA forum at RC.

b. What are the common workarounds if you CAN'T find a discrete code.

c. Explanation of special protocols.

So any comments or rocks to be tossed out?
usblipitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Yes I am an idiot Reply with quote

I "viewed the source" of the beginner's guide. (a lot of html stuff)

I saw in there somewhere that it was generated by microsoft word 1.0

I copied the source into microsoft word 2000.

I can't figure out how to make it generate the web page. It just continues to look like html. It would seem like the logical thing to have would be two windows, one with the html stuff, one with what the stuff should look like.

Maybe I do not have the right tools. Do I need frontpage?

I got loads of free time. I just have never created a web page before. Gack.

Might anyone be able to give me a few pointers? Smile

-Steve
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes I am an idiot Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
I "viewed the source" of the beginner's guide. (a lot of html stuff)

Download the .DOC file in the help folder.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I am glad you recognized yourself in my description Smile

The original was a Word Document. If that hasn't changed maybe edit the Word document and someone else can do the HTML conversion?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes I am an idiot Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
I just have never created a web page before.

Don't worry about HTML. If and when it gets made into a web page, Rob (or whomever) can take care of that.

NOTE: if you're going to try re-doing JP1 for Beginner's, there is to be absolutely no mention of the 8810w, agreed? Wink
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As great as Tommy's beginners guide is, I think for some people it is too long winded. The idea was to cover absolutely very newbie type question that might be asked, but in doing so it became a very long document.

Whereas, as most of you know, the basic concepts are really very simple, so I think it would be possible to write a much simpler document that described the basic concepts. Of course, I would be a good candidate to write such a document, and I would like to, I just don't know when I would ever get the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: