JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Reading a 15-1994 results in a failure...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
st5000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reading a 15-1994 results in a failure... Reply with quote

Hi...

Yeas ago, I programmed my radio shack 15-1994 with a home made parallel port JP1 cable. Now, I am using Tom's JP1.0 cable. When I tried to download from the remote (would like to start where I left off) I get a pop-up error:

"It appears that the interface failed midway into the operation. This problem can occur if the interace is faulty or if the EEPROM you are trying to read is larger then $8000 (the maximum size supported by IR)."

Well, this is an unmodified 15-1994 and is very popular here (even though you can't get it any more (I think)). So it sounds odd that eeprom size would be a problem.

Does anyone have a thought as to what might be going wrong?

...thanks

---

A little bit more back ground. The same XP computer has been used successfully many times w/Tom's JP1.3 cable and a radio shack 15-134. There have been two different USB device drivers loaded to deal w/interfacing with the two Tom/JP1/USB cables. Currently w/the Tom's JP1.0 cable inserted I see this system information:

"Delcom USB IO Driver USB\VID_0fc5&pid_1222\5&4d757d6&0&1"

And if I were to pull the JP1.0 and insert the JP1.3 I get this:

...well, I'm not going to type all that, keep in mind this is the configuration that works...I don't see the Delcom name but there are now 2 entries both w/VID of 0403...one is a serial converter and the other is a serial port...if necessary I can post more info in a followup.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you selecting the proper interface type on IR's Interface menu?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the Delcom drivers are very hit and miss. Search this forum and you'll see. Only THIS older version works for me. Some have better luck with the latest ones from Delcom's site. You can download another old version from DIYGadget.
st5000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Unfortunately the Delcom drivers are very hit and miss. Search this forum and you'll see. Only THIS older version works for me. Some have better luck with the latest ones from Delcom's site. You can download another old version from DIYGadget.

Well, in defence of Delcom (actually, I really don't know how good they are), writing a Windoze USB driver is a nightmare. Enough of that...

I downloaded Tom's jp1xtest files and ran them against his JP1 and JP1.x interfaces. The JP1 and JP1.x interface failed. Recall I have been using the JP1.x successfully many times with a 15-134 remote on the same computer. Both USB interfaces appear to be recognized by the computer (usual microsoft ding-dong when plugging them in). By the time I finished testing and re-testing I checked and had only run the virtual COM port number up to 8. That should be well w/in Tom's testing software limitations (I think that would be up to COM 19 or 20).

By JP1 I mean the interface that one would use with a 15-1994 and by JP1.X I mean the interface that one would use with a 15-134.

I appreciate all the help I'm getting here and in other threads! You guys have been great, thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are now three versions of the Delcom driver for JP1 USB cables in the file section:

1) This is the 10/19/2006 version from the DIYgadget.com site:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5818

2) This is the 03/03/2007 version that has been in the file section for a while:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2712

3) This is the 02/12/2008 version, downloaded today from the Delcom site:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5819

I would be curious to hear people's results with these three versions to see if there's a concensus that one works better than the others.

ps. these are NOT for JP1.x cables.
st5000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
There are now three versions of the Delcom driver for JP1 USB cables in the file section:

1) This is the 10/19/2006 version from the DIYgadget.com site:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5818

<cut>

I downloaded all three and tried the oldest one first. That work! Go figure, maybe Delcom has been busy trying to get things working with Vista? I'm fat and happy now, but if you need to know, I can try the other drivers when I have more time.

...thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: