JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need help with JVC learned buttons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulcalif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Need help with JVC learned buttons Reply with quote

I've been able to use the KM spreadsheet and the IR program to create two new codes. One for my Liteon DVD player and one for my Global Cable box, but I'm having trouble with my JVC receiver. I'll upload the IR file to the Yahoo group. If someone could take a look and offer some suggestions I sure would appreciate it. Note that I haven't learned all of the buttons yet.

Thanks
usblipitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnSFine is probably going to correct me. Wink

It is my feeling that these signals are not clean.

Several things can cause this.
1. Weak batteries in the OEM remote (or possibly the learning remote.)
2. User error.
3. A protocol that DecodeIR.dll is not set up to handle.
3. Something wrong with the programming of DecodeIR.dll
4. Wrong version of something, or something is not in the correct spot.

Let us start at the bottom of the list and go up.
4. Make sure you have the latest versions of all the tools. Also, make sure that the up-to-date version of DecodeIR.dll is in the same directory as IR.exe
3. JohnSFine is only human. I say this because we have not invented Robots like Data from StarTrek:theNextGeneration (yet). So he must be human. Humans can make mistakes. I think the odds of JohnSFine making a mistake are 6,258.7:1, approximately.
2. User error. It happens to the best of us. You have learned other remotes as you have created other upgrades, so this might be less likely than if you were, say, me, about a month ago. But you might want to dim the lights, turn off other sources of IR, point the remotes head to head 2 inches apart on a flat table, and you might want to wait until you see the flashing lights before you press the OEM button, and you might want to keep pressing it until you get the two flashes that say it was recorded. Also, you are not holding down the learning remote button the whole time are you? I didn't think so.
1. Weak batteries. Go out and buy some nice new batteries. I hear they might sell you some at radio shack if you ask nice.

It is at this point that JohnSFine will correct me and report that your signals are very clean and that the problem is in some way my fault. Mr. Green So let me apologize in advance! Embarassed

Good Luck,
JP1Files
usblipitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What model number is your JVC receiver?

There is an existing device upgrade, JVC RX703.txt that has pretty much all your work done for you. It uses the JVC protocol, device 163, and all the EFCs/OBCs match the ones in your (unclean) learns.

Try downloading that file and see if it works for you.

Resist the Dark Side of the Force,
JP1Files
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:

It is at this point that JohnSFine will correct me and report that your signals are very clean and that the problem is in some way my fault. Mr. Green So let me apologize in advance! Embarassed

Good Luck,

I'm not John and I'm not going to correct you (sorry to disappoint Smile ). It looks like the signals aren't clean learns, but they do look consistent enough to build an upgrade. The JVC protocol decodes as a JVC1 signal followed by a JVC2 signal. Sometimes there's an erroneous Zenith decode at the end -- ignore that.

So it looks like your device uses the JVC protocol with device 163 for most functions and device 179 for a few functions (in your learned codes - only on the "3" button uses device=179).

If you want a file to use as a template, you should check out this message:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/message/25729

and the device upgrade it references:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/3.%20Device20Codes/Audio/JVC%20Receiver%20RX-8010%20RS15-2116%201074.txt

This file is already set up with the device combiner. As you learn signals you'll plug the EFC's into the functions page. For each EFC use 0 if the device is decoded as 163 or use 1 if the device is decoded as 179. It looks like this JVC device uses different EFC's than your device, so you'll have to replace them with the information you get from learning.

Give it a try and let us know where you have questions.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:

If you insist, but only in the smallest details.

usblipitor wrote:

They do look pretty bad.

usblipitor wrote:

Several things can cause this.
1. Weak batteries in the OEM remote (or possibly the learning remote.)

The very last one (RCVR:3) shows a slight hint of bad batteries in the OEM remote, but not enough to jump to a conclusion. The rest show no such hint, so I'm sure bad batteries in the OEM remote didn't cause the bulk of problems. Bad batteries in the 8810w probably couldn't do this either, but I'm less certain of that.

usblipitor wrote:

2. User error.

Probably. My first guess is that he is pressing the OEM button and then aiming the OEM IR emitter at the 8810w IR receiver. You should have both remotes sitting on a stable surface and properly aimed before you press the OEM remote's button.

usblipitor wrote:

3. A protocol that DecodeIR.dll is not set up to handle.
3. Something wrong with the programming of DecodeIR.dll

There are lots of both of the above. But these samples look too much like bad learns of ordinary JVC. I don't believe they are anything else.

usblipitor wrote:

4. Wrong version of something, or something is not in the correct spot.

Not relevant, since we can look at his eeprom image and see the decodes ourselves.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjarboni wrote:

If you want a file to use as a template, you should check out this message:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/message/25729

and the device upgrade it references:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/3.%20Device20Codes/Audio/JVC%20Receiver%20RX-8010%20RS15-2116%201074.txt

This file is already set up with the device combiner. As you learn signals you'll plug the EFC's into the functions page. For each EFC use 0 if the device is decoded as 163 or use 1 if the device is decoded as 179.

That message and file are for the usual JVC receiver combination of device 163 and 175.

The odd learned signal on the '3' key was not device 175. It was device 179. In fact it was the "Track 3" command for a standard JVC CD player.
paulcalif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are good trouble shooters. I was holding both remotes in my hands. I wasn't paying a lot of attention to when I pushed the OEM button or how long I was holding it. I'll redo all the "learns" tonight on a flat table, with fresh batteries, and not hold the button on the OEM to long. Then I'll take a look at the RX703.txt file. I saw that early on but didn't know what to do with it. Thanks everyone, I'll report back.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulcalif wrote:
and not hold the button on the OEM to long.
actually, hold the button on the OEM (JVC) remote until the 8810w tells you it is done learning. Smile holding it too long is not a problem. (the 8810w button is the one you just need to tap and release)
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulcalif wrote:
I'll redo all the "learns" tonight on a flat table, with fresh batteries, and not hold the button on the OEM to long. Then I'll take a look at the RX703.txt file. I saw that early on but didn't know what to do with it.
Well, loading either one of those files into KM and then putting the upgrades into your remote would give you a jump start on the process. JVC has used pretty much the same codes for receivers for a long time, so it's fairly certain the basics like power and volume would work. It would reduce the number of buttons that you have to learn, and you'd already have a KM file set up in which to enter the new button info you get from learning.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulcalif wrote:
I'll redo all the "learns" tonight on a flat table

There is no reason to redo them. All those learns were good enough to see the right device number and OBC for the JVC decodes. That's all you need to define an upgrade.

The discussion about the bad learns was relevent for any future learning. We were also discussing whether these signals contained something that wasn't ordinary JVC, but I think the concesus is that they don't.
paulcalif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The model of the JVC receiver is the RX-770V. I tried the text file suggested above and found that many of the buttons work properly but several do not. The receiver that this was created for must be a little nicer than mine (a few more options). As I study the RM spreadsheet it becomes more and more clear. I've successfully learned many buttons and have made some of them part of the upgrade. More tomorrow, thanks for all the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: