JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Proton (5C) protocol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
floyd1977

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Proton (5C) protocol Reply with quote

I just bought a Mitsubishi HD projector (HC5000). I didn't see any Mitsubishi upgrades in the Projector section under Device Upgrades. I learned all the commands from the remote and they all decoded as Proton signals, device 240. The commands work fine on my URC-9910 if I hold down the button for a fair amount of time (i.e. a quick tap will not work), but the commands do not work in macros. All I really need to do in a macro are the discrete inputs and discrete power off commands.

Is there a way to extend the signal duration for this protocol? Or is there a different solution? I've tried inserting delays (pause protocol, up to the maximum value of 0xff), and I've tried changing the order of steps in my macros, with no success.

Any help is definitely appreciated.

Thanks.
--Nathan
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the learned signals directly in your macros, or have you built an upgrade using the decoded data and are using the upgrade as the source for your macros? If your using the learned signals directly, I'd suggest trying to build an upgrade,

There is a UEIC Setup code for this (TV/0868), but it appears to only be built-in in the newer remotes only (RS 15-2144 and 100, OFA URC-6690, 8820, Atlas URC-1054 and 1055).

I doubt that it's in your 9910, but it's worth a try.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
floyd1977

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Capn.

Yes, I should've mentioned that I created an upgrade with the learned functions. I'm using the extended URC-9910. According to the ofausa.com website, TV/0868 is not available in the 9910, but I can check when I get home.

If it is not available, I guess I could call support to download an upgrade.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your upgrade uses the 005C Protocol, then any upgrade UEIC provides will also use the same protocol, so you're likely to have the same problem with duration of the signals embedded in a macro.

Have you tried the relatively easy workaround of sending the same signal several times in succession in your macro? Some devices will percieve this a single longer duration signal rather than several short signals.

If that doesn't work, then you need to extend the duration of the signal somehow. One option is having an expert provide you with a custom-tweaked version of 005C with extended duration.

Another alternative if you can't wait for an (find a willing) expert and/or want to do it yourself, you can do this using the Device Combiner protocol instead of the Proton Protocol (although you will require some data from that upgrade you built).

One of DC's less-obvious side-benefits is that for 1-byte signals (as yours is) it allows you to adjust the duration of the signal. Check out the Protocol Notes for Device Combiner in KM and/or RM and you will see that you can do this pretty easily (but you need enough memory available for the DC Protocol Upgrade, which is usually about 140 bytes!)

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
floyd1977

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. I'll try out your suggestions tonight or tomorrow.

I actually have enough room for the Device Combiner protocol, so I'll try the double command trick first, and if that doesn't work, I'll just use Device Combiner and play around with the duration.

Unfortunately, my PC with the parallel port is on the 2nd floor of my house, and my projector is in the basement, so all this trial and error stuff is giving me a workout. Smile
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floyd1977 wrote:
Yes, I should've mentioned that I created an upgrade with the learned functions.
Quick terminology lesson, you are using EITHER learned signals OR an upgrade, you can't be doing both. In your case, you are using an upgrade that you built based on the data found in the learned signals.

As for all the exercise that you're getting, maybe it's time to get a laptop! Smile
floyd1977

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

I agree, I could've worded that better. By saying, "created an upgrade with the learned functions," I meant "I used the learned functions to create an upgrade," not "I created an upgrade which contained the learned functions."

I actually have a laptop for work, but unfortunately, it doesn't have a parallel port. If I ever change jobs and buy a personal laptop, I'll be sure it has a parallel port, specifically for JP1 purposes!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also get a USB cable for the laptop. Tommy Tyler has created two new, very cool looking, USB cables. One is for JP1 and the other is for JP1.2/3

If you do decide to get a laptop with a parallel port (and/or a serial port for JP1.2/3), you'll probably want to get a Dell Latitude (like the D610 for example).

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_d610
floyd1977

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, thanks for the USB cable info.

Capn, setting the duration in the Device Combiner protocol works perfectly! In fact, before trudging back down into the basement, I pushed the projector input selection buttons on my remote and observed the LED staying on for much longer while sending the signal, so I just knew it would work.

Thanks for all of your help. Once again, you guys have helped me to get my remote to do exactly what I want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: