JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

15-1994 w Extender 5 migration to URC 8910 w Extender 1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickety

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: 15-1994 w Extender 5 migration to URC 8910 w Extender 1 Reply with quote

I am about to embark on converting my 15-1994 programs to a URC 8910. Can anyone advise on the similarities between these two extenders on the different remotes?

The read-me files seem to show that the Extenders seem to provide the same functionality and in (what appears to be) the same way. My particular interest is whether I need to do any reprogramming or should it be possible to just take the 15-1994 contents and tell IR that I now want it to go in a 8910?

Obviously I would prefer the easiest route, but I can re-do the programming from scratch. I tried to keep notes on why I did some steps!

Thanks for any advice.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR NEVER allows you to "keep" programming and simply change the remote. Try it, and you will see that the IR image for the newly-selected remote will be blank and none of your upgrades, keymoves or macros will carry over. In fact the upgrades are formulated for a particular remote, so you MUST re-engineer any upgrades you have in KM or RM for the 8910 first.

As for extenders, that is even MORE so the case. Although they provide similar functionality, the extenders for the 1994 and 8910 are vastly different in HOW they achieve that functionality. Read the respective readme files and you will see that they differ particularly in device selection. These two disparate methods of extender device selection are addressed in paragraph (9) of the Extender FAQ.

Having said that, all is not lost, as many seem to not realize that you may have MULTIPLE instances of IR.exe open at one time, so what I would do is load up your 1994 extender IR file in IR.exe, then open a SECOND instance IR.exe and have them open side-by-side, duplicating whatever you need in the 8910 file that is in your 1994 file.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
rickety

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Capn! I appreciate the advice and the alert that I can have two copies of IR open at a time. That will certainly ease the task.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: