JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My wife wants her own remote

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveM59

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: My wife wants her own remote Reply with quote

I love my URC-8910, but my wife can't stand it. For her, the buttons are too small and too close together, and the labels are unreadable, even with the backlight. I would appreciate recommendations for a remote with bigger buttons and Large print. Preferably one that is programmable via JP1 or JP1.2/1.3 (I have both interfaces), but that is less important than wide-ranging device support.

TIA--

Dave
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can understand that. We have his/her remotes for every TV we own!

How many devices is the remote going to operate?

What kind of operation does your wife need with the remote. Does her remote need lots of buttons? Sometimes the number of buttons can intimidate the "lite user".
DaveM59

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vicky, thanks for the reply. Sounds like you have some experience in this delicate area of marital relations.

We have six devices in the LR/home theater but my wife only uses four of them. You've got her pegged as a "lite" user.

Sony STR-D615 receiver --has to switch between inputs, adjust volume. Once in a while switch between FM presets.

Comcast Motorola DCT6412 cable box/PVR -- this one she does all the basics including manage recordings.

Panasonic TH-50PX77U TV -- needs to turn it on and off, adjust aspect and change input source. It is used as a monitor only.

SonyDVP-NS575 DVD player -- power, access to disc menus, open/close, and playback controls.

All audio goes to the receiver so the remote needs volume punch through.

Why I said "wide-ranging device support:" No second-tier brands here but the receiver is from 1994. I suppose I ought to replace it but it's better than my ears.

I'd say fewer buttons, wider spaced and larger, would do fine for her.
kupakai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the Comcast URC-1067 that you probably have (from your list of devices above)? The buttons are only a tad bigger than the ones on the 8910, but the layout is probably better. I use mine to control 4 devices. TV and cable is combined on the CABLE mode since there aren't many functions needed on the TV, DVD is on the TV mode, and HTPC is on the AUX mode. I use keymoves to span functions across modes and include input selections in the macros in the device keys.

As for larger button remotes, I always hoped that UEI would make a remote that looked something like the Sony RM-V202 I had bought long time ago, before I learned about JP1 remotes. It has large, different sized and colored buttons for different groups of functions. However, it is completely not programmable. Probably, better model now would be Sony RM-VL600, which at least has learning capability and I think some macro programmability. Of course, they are not JP1 remotes and not nearly as powerful.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I like the 1067 that kupakai is recomending, but those are 3 device remotes, even though you have 4 device codes with the 1067B and 5 device codes with the extended 1067A , the managing of the devices is a bit tricky for the "lite user". The nice thing about this remote is that it has different colored buttons that you can see even if you are not wearing your reading glasses.

There are 2 JP1 6 device remotes that you might consider. The 6131 is a 6 device remote, but its really small and the buttons are crammed close together, but the buttons are colored, which makes the remote pretty easy to use. Then there is the 6012 remote. Its also a 6 device remote with fewer buttons. Both the 6131 and the 6012 need to have soldering done.

The 10820 is a monster of a JP1.2 remote, with widely spaced buttons but its labels are small and its not a one handed remote, no back lighting. Its bigger than the 8910.

Another 6 device remote is the 6690hybrid. Its a jp1.2 remote, with very few keys. I'm not a big fan of kameleon type remotes, but it does have a lot fewer buttons. My reading glasses are a 2.25 and I can't see any of the kameleon labels with my glasses off.

The only remote that I can operate "blind" is the cinema 7. That remote has number shaped buttons, a logical layout and you never have to look at it to operate, but these remotes are getting scarce.
kupakai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Well I like the 1067 that kupakai is recomending, but those are 3 device remotes, even though you have 4 device codes with the 1067B and 5 device codes with the extended 1067A , the managing of the devices is a bit tricky for the "lite user". The nice thing about this remote is that it has different colored buttons that you can see even if you are not wearing your reading glasses.

The way it can be setup, though is that the TV is hardly a device. I only have the aspect and power keymoved to the CABLE mode and volume keymoved to all the device mode (in the DaveM59's case not even that). The input select functions are mapped to some shifted keys and only used in macros in the device keys.

I press CABLE, and the TV changes to input for cable box and sets itself to CABLE device mode. I press TV, where I have the setup for DVD, and the TV sets to input for DVD and the remote is set to DVD device mode, and so on for AUX. It's more or less like an activity based remote, but of course the obvious problem is that the label on the remote does not match the device it is controlling, but I'll eventually get around to relabeling that on the remote.

Of course, this can be done with any of the other remotes you recommend, and perhaps having less buttons on those remotes would be less intimidating as well.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when I take my box of remotes and let my user's choose a remote, they generally pick the 1067, so that one does have a lot of appeal. I like the 1067a extended. Its a really nice little remote. A pain in the butt to extend, but worth it.
DaveM59

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great suggestions! Kupakai, I took yours first but I did it without making any keymoves. Since the two Sony devices both operate under one protocol I was able to take their RMDU files and use them to create a new one for a "virtual" device I called "Sony Rcvr/DVD combo." I kept only the basic features necessary for ordinary usage. That device I assigned to AUX on my URC-1067A. I assigned the Panny plasma RMDU as the TV and of course kept the Comcast cable box as it was. Four devices on three buttons.

We'll see how friend wife likes it. I agree with you Vicky that it's a bit easier to navigate than the 8910, but I was struck by your testimony on behalf of the Cinema Seven. I looked it up, downloaded the manual, and I can see why you say it could be operated "blind." This looks like just the ticket. So I found one (URC7800B) on eBay, and went for it. It's supposed to look like new, we'll see when it arrives.

Now my only problem is finding a pin header to solder into the Cinema Seven circuit board. If either of you knows where to find one of these, please let me know. I found some at Mouser but it's the same old story of $7 shipping for a 50-cent part. Is this the sort of thing a local electronic parts store (not Radio Shack) might have?

In any case, thanks to you both for taking so much time to help. I'll let you know how it all works out.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this the sort of thing a local electronic parts store (not Radio Shack) might have?
Yes, I found the breakaway pins locally. I just recently soldered mine in. Prior to that I'd just put them in the cable and hold it in place. They usually come in rows of 20 or 36.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: