JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

HP LT3700 LCD HDTV

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwestall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: HP LT3700 LCD HDTV Reply with quote

1. Device: HP LT3700 LCD HDTV
2. Type of device: TV
3. Year: 2007
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: URC-8820
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? No
6. Still have original remote? Yes
7. Checked the file section? Yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? Yes
9. Partially working setup code? Yes, TV/1454
10. Learning remote question? n/a

This page lists all the discrete codes for my TV, but I'm not familiar with the code format:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00760655&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=435734

Can anyone tell me how to convert these to EFC codes?

Thanks,
David
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: How do I get EFC codes from this..... Reply with quote

dwestall wrote:
This page lists all the discrete codes for my TV, but I'm not familiar with the code format:

Are you sure TV/1454 is the correct partially working setup code?

The information I have for TV/1454 says it is not compatible with the signals listed on that web page.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those appear to be the OBC's already in THIS upgrade. To convert more, enter the codes in the OBC column in RM and it will convert to EFC.
kupakai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Those appear to be the OBC's already in THIS upgrade. To convert more, enter the codes in the OBC column in RM and it will convert to EFC.

Actually, that one only has the functions from the original remote (the ones on HP's page that is under "Entertainment Group 2"), and not the discrete codes that HP published separately in "Entertainment Group 1". The ones in "Entertainment Group 1" uses a different sub-device number. Plus, that upgrade uses protocol "RC6-6-32" doesn't have an entry for JP1.2 remotes in protocols.ini and so won't work with JP1.2 remotes (which URC-8820 is). MCE protcol is the same thing and does have an entry for JP1.2 remotes in protocols.ini, but RM doesn't know that and gives you an error if you change the remote to a JP1.2 remote. That's why I had created this upgrade for the JP1.2 remotes.

In any case, for the discrete codes, awhile back, I had use the same page that dwestall had linked to to create upgrade file of discrete codes here. I had originally put in only the ones that worked with my TV (the HP LCxx00N series), but I just updated the file to include all the discrete codes on that page. The problem for the OP is that, as John suspects, I don't think that would work with TV/1454, or with any other built in setup code, and it can't be entered using advanced codes (EFC). You will need a JP1.2 cable to upload the upgrade file.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of three main possibilities:

1) The OP is incorrect about TV/1454; The TV uses the MCE signals from the quoted page. So far as I understand, only learned signals would work without a JP1.2 cable. No built-in setup code nor EFC numbers would work.

2) The OP is correct about TV/1454 and incorrect about the quoted web page. The correct set of discrete codes would need to be found elsewhere and might be possible with EFC numbers in 1454 or other setup code.

3) The TV understands two different signals for each of its basic commands, the RC5 signal generated by TV/1454 and the MCE signal documented in that URL. Possibly, the discrete codes also have RC5 versions. I don't know how the RC5 OBC numbering might correspond to the MCE. But if we knew which signals worked in TV/1454, we might make some educated guesses about EFC numbers for other functions.
kupakai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that it might be number 2. I know that the page that the OP linked to is used on HP's TV's that are slightly older than the LT3700, including the one I have (LC7300N). I've use that page myself to add discrete codes for my TV. I remember reading when the new models came out that the remotes used a different protocol and the manual stated that codes for Philips TV can be used on universal remotes.
dwestall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The user guide doesn't have HP listed as a TV in the device codes list. HP says to use the Philips code. These 3 Philip device codes all work the same: 1454, 0054, 1154 - only buttons that work are volume/mute, power toggle and input toggle.

I tried the EFC's listed here and here, but the only code I could get to work was 00044 Power Toggle.

Do you think any of the RM files will help me? I don't have a cable, but if I can get the codes from the file that would work.

Thanks,
David
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwestall wrote:
HP says to use the Philips code. These 3 Philip device codes all work the same: 1454, 0054, 1154 - only buttons that work are volume/mute, power toggle and input toggle.

That is very strange. Just to be sure you meant what you said: The digit keys don't work to change the channel?
Lots of TV's use that Philips code set with most advanced functions (pip, aspect, menu, etc.) not working. But the digit keys almost always work.

We seem to still have possibilities 2 and 3 from my post above. Is the IR control entirely RC5? Or do just a few functions work by RC5 and most are MCE? Are the missing functions RC5 signals that haven't been tried yet or are they only MCE?

David, in the testing of buttons and EFC codes that didn't work, did any of them do anything? A button or EFC code that does the wrong thing is much more interesting than one that does nothing. If you tell use which buttons or EFC codes do which wrong things, we can tell you how to get it working right.

Quote:
Do you think any of the RM files will help me? I don't have a cable, but if I can get the codes from the file that would work.

What do you mean by "that would work". Even if the codes in that file are correct for your TV (which we seem not to know) they will be no use to you without the cable. Those codes give the remote only part of the data it needs for sending the signals. The rest is in a form that can't be keyed into the remote, it must be loaded through the cable.

Edit: I just took a more careful look at that pdf file from HP. Notice it says

After programming your universal remote control with a Philips TV code, it can operate your HP TV functions for volume, mute, power, and input source.

That makes it pretty clear. The TV uses MCE codes for most functions, but will accept RC5 codes for those few functions. That seems a very strange design decision. But that's what the PDF says.

So you can learn functions from the original remote or you can program them all with a JP1.2 cable. That's about it. There aren't any magic codes to get MCE signals from a remote that hasn't had them programmed in.
dwestall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for you help. Where's the best place to buy a JP1.2 cable?

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Discrete Codes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: