JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

This board would be much easier to use if ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCTerrier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: This board would be much easier to use if ... Reply with quote

This board would be much easier to use if ...

when choosing the option "New since last visit" we were presented with the posts that are new since last visit, rather than threads (that are displayed from the begining again).

Also, these new thread segments should be sorted by forum name.

I am no big fan of this sort of board but I can live with something like what they have at Homeseer. Which you can find at http://homeseer.infopop.net/6/ubb.x?a=srch&s=697298074&lv=Y&sort_order=forum

Regards
JCT

Last edited by JCTerrier on Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you're saying, but for me personally, just seeing the threads is one of the advantages of this forum over the Yahoo one.

Back at yahoo, where I received the posts as emails, I was always presented with all the new posts, which I had to review to see if I was interested in reading. So, if there was a "thread" where I felt I didn't need to participate, but it had generated a ton of posts, I had a ton of posts to get past.

Here on the other hand, I get a much smaller list of threads to review every time I login, which makes it much easier to see which threads need my attention and which don't.

If instead of clicking on the thread itself, you click on the little icon to the left of the subject, it will take you to the most recent posts.

Last edited by The Robman on Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At www.hometheaterspot.com they use a method that handles this in a better way. Within a forum the threads are sorted with most recent activity at the top and the number of posts since your last logon indicated. Then, if you click on a thread you will be taken to that thread positioned at the first message that you haven't read. That way the whole thread is still visible, but you don't have to scroll all the way from the top to the new one. The only problem I see with the way it is now here is that I don't know how far to scroll and I usually have to start reading a message to realize I have seen that one and need to scroll further.
matt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the "View posts since last visit" link under the logout link. It lists all new posts, though they are displayed by thread, sjust like you ask for.

matt
JCTerrier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
Matt,

I am of course aware of that. But clicking on that link takes you to a list of threads with new content not to the new content itself.

To experience just exactly what I mean, please use the link to Homeseer I provided.

JCT
tabish

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like the Board the way it is, just my two cents.
matt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCTerrier wrote:
I am of course aware of that. But clicking on that link takes you to a list of threads with new content not to the new content itself.

To experience just exactly what I mean, please use the link to Homeseer I provided.

The only difference with Homeseer is that is present duplicates for each updated thread. For me this is much messier, so I guess it's personaly preference.

I like phpBB just the way it is.

matt
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCTerrier wrote:

I did click on the link and I thought my reply was a response to that.

Let's say there has been activity in 5 threads since the last time I logged in, and let's say that three of the threads a regular questions that need my attention. Let's go further and say that one of the remaining threads is about problems with RM and Greg's already on the case helping that guy and the other thread is about problems with extenders and John's already on the case helping that guy. Let's say the first three threads have gone un-answered or only have 1 or 2 replies at this point, but the last two threads have already generated 10 posts each.

If the forum displays new "posts" as you request, I would have about 23 posts displayed of which only 3 need my attention, whereas with the "threads" being displayed, I can see 5 threads where 3 need my attention. Guess which one I prefer.

Hopefully you feel that I have responded directly to your post this time.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCTerrier wrote:
But clicking on that link takes you to a list of threads with new content not to the new content itself.

If you click on the little "arrow-note icon" in the far right column next to the last poster's name, it will take you to the newest reply you have not read yet.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just want to see all the posts, as posts - not threads, sorted in date order with the new ones first, there is a kludgy way to do it.

Click on Search then select "*" as the user you want to search for and click on the "Display results as POSTS".

Here's a pre-formatted link that you could bookmark to do just that if you like:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/search.php?mode=results&search_author=%2a&show_results=posts

Last edited by The Robman on Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
JCTerrier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Thanks, Mark! Reply with quote

Quote:
If you click on the little "arrow-note icon" in the far right column next to the last poster's name, it will take you to the newest reply you have not read yet.

Mark,

Thanks for the tip.

While not what I wanted to see, this goes a long way towards making it easier to follow the growing number of threads.

Regards
JCT
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Web Site Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: