JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A word of caution about Comcast JP1.3 remotes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattg568

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: A word of caution about Comcast JP1.3 remotes Reply with quote

I don't know if any of you know this, but if you initiate a 981 reset on this remote it will no longer be able to control your cable box. You can't even re-enter the cable device codes I tried it. Luckily I had a second remote that I could dump it's memory into IR and load back into the erased one.

I also saved the memory of this remote into an IR file. I actually had to bend pin 5 on both remotes to do this. Here is a tip on bending pin 5 if you need to. You know those mechanical pencils? The ones where you press a button that slowly slides a thin stick of led out to write with? You can use the tip of it with the hole in it to "grab" the pin from the top, press down and bend the pin any way you want. And it's easy to bend it back into place. Though you shouldn't do it repeatedly or else the pin will wear out and break.

It would appear that the Comcast JP1.3 remote stores it's default configuration as an upgrade.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good advice for almost ALL Cable-provider remotes, not just Comcast. It's relatively common knowledge (or at least a working assumption) that they have proprietary upgrades installed to operate their equipment, but it may not be obvious to newcomers to JP1 hacking.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
mattg568

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember having the JP1.1 Comcast remote and the 981 reset had no ill effect to it. It would still control the cable box. The ONLY thing that was harmed was the "On Demand" button. Apparently that button held a simple macro that essentially did this: 1...OK. That was why you would see 2 flashes of the LED when you pressed this button. The JP1.3 Comcast remotes have an advanced code mapped to the "On Demand" button that makes it a little quicker to access your On Demand feature in that it just sends out one signal.

By the way, when I did that 981 reset on the JP1.1 remote and subsequentally erased that macro, it was simple to reprogram that macro using the standard method of creating a macro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: