JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DVD Recorders - Naming titles and disks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kupakai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R7 is definitely is not JP1 compatible (it's a nicer looking remote than the RS remotes though). That's made by Universal Remote Control company, not UEI. That's not to say it's a bad remote, but it can't be used with the tools that are here, and while it has learning ability, it can't be programmed using advanced codes. That means, you can't use that to add the REC Pause if your original remote does not have it (unless the R7 has the function pre-programmed in).
sidiko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I almost did not see your post until I realized I had a "page 2" to load.

Well, I wanted really bad to rip open that formidable layer of "plastic armor" but a clear head prevailed.

You know, I am pretty much overwhelmed by what I have seen in the forum since I joined, a mere few days, less than a week. I must admit, I don't know what to do at this point. (But at least this is not a life threatening decision. But hey, this is major, I will have to live with that little piece of technology in my hand for a while).

I must be making this harder than it really is? Otherwise, how do I explain the JP1 community that I have found. A bunch of you have found it necessary to decide on a remote and a cable, download and use the software, and take care of business.

I feel like I am at a AA meeting. Any way, I am not a quitter, I will hang in there and see this through. I am not a scholar, so I will have to read and re-read and let it soak in. So, thank you all in advance for your patience and advice.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sidiko,
Regarding your original question about the entry of DVD titles using a remote, do you have any idea of how you would want this to work? In other words, imagine yourself sitting in front of the TV screen with the remote in hand and you want to enter "Raiders of the Lost Arc" on the screen using a remote that doesn't have letter buttons. How do you envision being able to enter the title? If you have something in mind, we might be able to come with a way to do it using the remote.

Another alternative is to try and find out if your player responds to any keyboard signals. You would have to search the web for other forums that deal with this specific player to see if anyone has discovered that it responds to a DirecTV keyboard or something like that.

I use the ReplayTV PVR and I also have a "typewriter" screen that I can use for entering search criteria and selecting the letters using the arrow keys is a pain, but fortunately for us, somebody discovered early on that our ReplayTVs also respond to a Phillips WebTV keyboard, so most of us bought one of those and we use it when we have a lot of typing to enter.
sidiko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

I have about given up on automating supplying text to my Sony DVD Recorder. I think I will have to settle with the couple of enhancements that Vickyg2003 has discovered.

I was considering a rig called "SimpleRemote" at this link: http://www.geocities.com/odednoam/
However, I cannot get anyone at that site to reply to me. But, basically, it involves using a PC serial port driving an infrared LED. Is sounded slick but the site appears abandoned. The owner developed his software to supply text for a minidisc application. Oded Noam, the creator of SimpleRemote replied to my first email, told me it would do what I needed and I never heard from him again. I was still going to have to solve the SONY IR "code-set" to jive with his software. And I haven't a clue what "format" or parameters the Sony code configuration is necessary to jive with his software. Basically, I think I would be in over my head, especially with no support from the SimpleRemote folks.

If there are any DirecTV/keyboard hacks, I have not learned of them yet. Vickyg2003 has been a big help but she is using "cable" JP1 remotes.

First of all, another forum member told me the R7 I bought is not JP1 capable, so back to circuit city it goes. I asked the local radio shack dealer to order me the 15-133 or the -135 I can't remember. But, if you have a remote and cable you would recommend, I'd like to hear about them. I am not crazy about the RS remotes, especially when I hear that some of the resources in the remotes are devoted to Tandy/proprietary stuff that I will never use.

I hope I have given you enough information, and perhaps you can suggest a remote and cable combo that is tried and proven. Thanks to all of you who have given me suggestions.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your goal is simply to replace the original Sony remote, any JP1 remote would work. A learning remote is always a better idea as you can use it to capture the codes for buttons when needed.
sidiko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still selling jp1 remotes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: