JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

8K eeprom in the 8810/8811 - how to ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teamvc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnappo wrote:
johnsfine wrote:
The 8910 can't use any other eeprom size. There is nothing an extender could do to fix that. The 8910 doesn't just fail to use the extra space. It fails to use the eeprom at all if it is too big.

Well thanks for saving me some time Smile That is too bad! Not to hijack the thread - but how hard is it to move key move space to upgrade space in the extender?

xnappo

Hi, I had that problem to a long time ago. I did move the border and it worked for me. Maybe you want to check my old attempt to solve it.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2572
The different version are just different distributions of memory.
teamvc
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But as previously explained, that is unnecessary now. Back then, the limit on upgrade memory was a hard limit, but now IR will simply overflow any excess upgrades into other unused memory areas.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
teamvc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
But as previously explained, that is unnecessary now. Back then, the limit on upgrade memory was a hard limit, but now IR will simply overflow any excess upgrades into other unused memory areas.

Fine. Is that fully dynamic? Which means will IR simply set the border in the middle of the free space? Or are there things that restrict that?

teamvc

P.S. I found conflicting information on memory upgrades to the 8910. Can I solder in a 8 KByte device and will that then be usable? Anyone who did it???
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamvc wrote:
P.S. I found conflicting information on memory upgrades to the 8910. Can I solder in a 8 KByte device and will that then be usable? Anyone who did it???

Where did you find any info saying you can?
I'm pretty sure you can't.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamvc wrote:
Capn Trips wrote:

Fine. Is that fully dynamic?
Yes.
teamvc wrote:
Which means will IR simply set the border in the middle of the free space??
No, the upgrade area HAS no border - that's why IR can do it.

Just give it a try and see - you can do no harm and if you don't like it, or it doesn't work as you want, then reset and restore your previous config.

But again, this ONLY works for UPGRADE overflow. Keymove/Macro and Learning regions are still delimited and have maximum allocated areas.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
nevolc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back trying to install an 8K eeprom in an 8811. I was able to purchase 8K eeproms from Mouser.com (579-24AA64-I/P) and shoehorn one into a 8811 by removing the surface mount 2K eeprom and using small wire to pick up up the power, ground, clock, and data signals and run these wires to a "regular" DIP socket. I get the 2+2 blinks on a 981 reset and and can download and read back the eeprom.

After many many hours trying, I can't get the 8K extender to boot - it loads but I don't get the 2+2 blinks when I press power after uploading the 8K extender to the remote. ExtInstall cranks out a file that IR.exe doesn't seem to like unless the "old.txt" file is created on an 8811 with the upgraded 8K eeprom after a 981 reset. In other words, I can't use a "virgin" 2K 8811 image for ExtInstall's "old.txt" or IR.exe will get errors when trying to load the resulting "new.txt" file. It seems like a merge of the 8K extender hex file with a plain 2K 8811 image file doesn't result in a valid output file.

Any idea what is going wrong ? Thanks for any ideas.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked at those details in a long time. There are some tools and documents for download somewhere in the file area explaining it.

What I recall now is: The remote firmware always misunderstands the 8K eeprom and sends it a wrong command during bootup, which causes an important chunk of information to be read from the wrong place, but a different wrong place depending on the model of eeprom chip.

I wrote a test program to find out which wrong place it would be read from. Then for each wrong place we found in testing several eeproms models, someone constructed an rdf file that would put the right information into that "wrong" place, so everything would work, provided you always program the remote via ir.exe with that rdf and never program via the remote's built-in programming.

You need to download and run that test program to discrover the wrong place, then find or construct the rdf that is appropriate to that wrong place.
nevolc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the problem - thanks. I was using the $1815 rdf packaged with the 8811 extender V3.3 8K and needed to be using $1F95. I found a 2002 rdf using $1F95 (in big6012eeprom.zip) which appears to load correctly. It significantly predates the $1815 rdf so I'll try and update it so it can be used with the newer extenders. If there's info on creating rdf's, I would appreciate someone posting a link.

On my initial use, the original $1F95 rdf appears to allow use of almost the entire 8K for moves and upgrades - this is probably an optical illusion or something I messed up.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevolc wrote:
On my initial use, the original $1F95 rdf appears to allow use of almost the entire 8K for moves and upgrades - this is probably an optical illusion or something I messed up.

Why shouldn't it allow almost all of the 8K for keymoves, macros and upgrades?

A major purpose of an extender is to change learning and excess memory into keymove memory. That combines well with the ir.exe feature that can use unused keymove memory for upgrades.
nevolc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm use to the "heavier" 8811 V3.3 extender which uses more memory out of the gate, probably due to more protocols being built into the V3.3 extender compared to the earlier V2 extender. I was just surprised to see almost 7.8K move/upgrade available when I first loaded the V2 extender and $1F95 rdf. That is certainly not a complaint Smile .

Ignore request on rdf info - I found it with the IR.exe code. I decided to just take a shot on the modifications needed for an 8811 V3.3 $1F95 compatible rdf and minimal testing suggests it will work (famous last words).

As usual, I under estimated the efforts to upgrade the 8811 eeprom and get the extender and the rdf working with the new 8K eeprom.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for a part number for these 8kx8 chips that have a proper voltage.
The part number in this thread is for a non-surface mounted eeprom. II assume I'm looking for a low voltage model. I've been hunting over at mouser for a while, but I'm really cluless..

Does anyone know what EEPROM number might do the trick?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part number given for mouser.com (ie, 24AA64-I/SN) appears to be surface mount, even though the photo is through-hole. If you look at the description it says "Mounting Style: SMD/SMT" and if you look at the data sheet on page 15 they show a surface mount chip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: