JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RS 15-2116 and JVC RX809V Audio/Video Receiver

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gstrickland

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: RS 15-2116 and JVC RX809V Audio/Video Receiver Reply with quote

I've searched all forums on this site for references to the JVC RX-809V audio/video receiver, but found none. I only learned of JP1's existence about an hour ago, so I'm still struggling with what is possible.

Q. - If my existing RS 15-2116 (without JP1) will control volume on my JVC RX-809V receiver, but not control power on/off, or much of anything else, is there any hope that I'll be able to achieve full -- or at least more robust -- control of my receiver if I use JP1?

______
I have found the four digit control codes for JVC devices in general (and the discrete codes too), but no mention of my specific model receiver.

Q. - Where can I search to see if anyone has already uploaded a set of codes/programs/macros/keystrokes (sorry, I'm still learning JP1 here) for my particular receiver?

______
The 15-2116 (without JP1) will not let you remap/relearn the power button.

Q. - Can you do that with JP1?

______
It seems that people are using cheapie remotes (like my 15-2116 or the Walmart 81xx) simply to act as remote control code learners/trappers so that they can then use the learned code in JP1 programming.

Q. - Is there a software/hardware interface which lets a PC with an infrared port (or an add-on infrared port) that lets the pc learn the codes to save the step of using an original remote to teach a code to a 15-2116 remote?
vivarey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several JVC receiver upgrade codes in the Yahoo file store:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/3.%20Device%20Codes/Audio/

Although I didn't see that particular model, I'm sure you will retain all or most of the functionality using another JVC model. And that's from my own experience with a non-supported JVC receiver.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: RS 15-2116 and JVC RX809V Audio/Video Receiver Reply with quote

gstrickland wrote:
If my existing RS 15-2116 (without JP1) will control volume on my JVC RX-809V receiver, but not control power on/off, or much of anything else, is there any hope that I'll be able to achieve full -- or at least more robust -- control of my receiver if I use JP1?

It is pretty certain that with JP1 you can duplicate all functions of the original JVC remote and there is a decent chance you can find some useful extra functions the original didn't have.

gstrickland wrote:
I have found the four digit control codes for JVC devices in general (and the discrete codes too), but no mention of my specific model receiver.

It usually helps to mention any sepecific setup codes (the four digit numbers) that you've already tried and which functions if any of those setup codes worked. I looked at a few CCF files for JVC receivers and they all seem to use pretty much the same IR commands. I looked at a few JVC setup codes in the 15-2116 and they don't seem to fit. I probably missed some combo code or something. I can't imagine UEI/Radio Shack left those JVC receivers out of the 2116. But if they did, then your JP1 task would be easier, since you could just use an upgrade file for a typical JVC receiver.

gstrickland wrote:
Q. - Where can I search to see if anyone has already uploaded a set of codes/programs/macros/keystrokes (sorry, I'm still learning JP1 here) for my particular receiver?

The previous message had that link. It will ask you to join the Yahoo JP1 group for access to that link, but there is no particular cost or consequence to joining.

gstrickland wrote:

If you load an "upgrade", it can certainly include a definition for the power button. I'm not sure of the exact rules for all the other ways of defining the power button. There are other ways to define it. But it seems like you would want it as part of an upgrade anyway.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: RS 15-2116 and JVC RX809V Audio/Video Receiver Reply with quote

gstrickland wrote:
Q. - If my existing RS 15-2116 (without JP1) will control volume on my JVC RX-809V receiver, but not control power on/off, or much of anything else, is there any hope that I'll be able to achieve full -- or at least more robust -- control of my receiver if I use JP1?
Well, you are asking this question in the JP1 forums, so any of us is likely to say:
<standardanswer> There is a 100% probability that you can achieve full control of your JVC reciever with JP1 </standardanswer>. Wink
gstrickland wrote:
All JP1 upgrade files are available in the Yahoo JP! group. As John said above, you'll need to join the group to get access to the files. Don't overlook similar models even if yours is not there.
gstrickland wrote:
Don't go by what the manual says. Most JP1 remotes can have keymoves ("remap") or learned codes on most of the buttons that don't have a special function. If it's not possible on the remote itself, then JP1 usually provides a way to accomplish it 99.99% of the time.
gstrickland wrote:
Q. - Is there a software/hardware interface which lets a PC with an infrared port (or an add-on infrared port) that lets the pc learn the codes to save the step of using an original remote to teach a code to a 15-2116 remote?
None that is as easy to use (for JP1 purposes) as a JP1 learning remote coupled with the IR program.

There are some external IR devices that can be used, but they usually have some shortcomings that ultimately make them more trouble than they are worth in terms of getting JP1 data (i.e., you'll usually end up asking the experts here for help).

And, though tempting, the PC infrared port is not very well suited for this purpose (different IR wavelengths, etc.).
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: