JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Thank you to JP1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eyedoc55

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Thank you to JP1 Reply with quote

I have read thru your forums for a couple days and just got my jp1 cable. I set up my RS 2116 and it works great. I was able to use the Onkyo TR600 file, Samsung sir150, and create my own for my projector (Sanyo PLV Z1), all with no problems thanks to all the great info here! So, I just wanted to say thank you.

Next project is getting all of my father-in-laws components setup on another RS2116 for Christmas.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this site,

Don
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you to JP1 Reply with quote

Eyedoc55 wrote:
create my own for my projector (Sanyo PLV Z1)

Congratulations! Don't forget to upload that file to the Files area so the next person that needs it can enjoy the fruits of your labor! Wink
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, and welcome to the group.
donphillipe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a very newbee too. I have been here before but gave up because it seemed remote programming could become a career path (for slow-me anyway!). I see a lot of remote numbers floating around here but the only list of supported JP1 remotes I can find is at http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/remotes.shtml . Is this list up to date???? Is there a list of remotes without the pin connectors that can have them added? I can't seem to find the info if it exists. THANKS!
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at RemoteChart. It's available as an html and an xls.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donphillipe wrote:
Is there a list of remotes without the pin connectors that can have them added?

Don't get me wrong, I think it is great that you have a soldering iron and a lot of free time. 8)

But I am just curious - why would you want to buy a remote without pins and add them (and the eeprom possibly as well), rather than buying a remote that is already JP1 ready?

In the US, wal-mart has 8810w remotes for $19. Pins and eeprom included. Smile

Outside the US, you can order from the banner ads or from the Robman (8811 is $25, JP1 cable is $15).
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he ever said he would buy a remote without pins. However, many people already have a JP-1 remote already, or they may have one that's JP-1 capable already and just need to know which models they are if they are obviously short the pins. Some don't even have pins but can be modified to be JP-1 capable via a stereo or other special interface. For a couple bucks and some time they can have a JP-1 capable remote, which saves them from having YET another remote around the house, and a good chunk of change extra in their pockets.
Classic examples: 6800, 7800, RCA 810, RS 2103, also 7200 with a little more work. 6131>6131M.

17.00 savings on a remote can mean 17.00 more food in the fridge or pantry, and for some folks that can mean a major difference. Maybe dumping 19.63 for a 8810W is just chickenfeed for you, but for a lot of people I know it may mean not eating for a day or two. It would cover a month or two of ISP service, and for some folks that's the major means of communication with distant family.

Jim
donphillipe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, hard to read someone's mind from a one sentence comment! 25 years of typing on these da** keyboards have made me take shortcuts of late! I was concerned that the list on the referenced website was either a) out of date or b) complete and someone must be doing some other technique to participate in this "hobby" because of the continued large following. I guess "a" must be the answer since the 8810 is not listed on the hi-fi remotes website. Additional thoughts are, it would be nice to see an up to date list but further thoughts say "don't look a gift horse in the mouth". So if someone knows of an updated list, then let me know. My immediate need is following just buying my 80 old in-laws an Apex GB series bigscreen. They can only use something like the Big Easy (larger number) remote controls (thus the reason for the big screen from poor vision). I have a couple of RS 1954(can't remember #) that I bought 1-2 years ago when I started to read here but the non intuitivness (for me) of programming JP1 caused me to say "maybe do that one another day".

Still I have got to come up soon with either a big button remote for their Apex or pay (ouch!) another $400 for a more expensive bigscreen. In the process, it would also be nice for me to see the day that I can control my own equipment with one remote (I tend to buy the cheap replacable electronics which never seem to be supported by remotes, of course along with my "ancient" system that relies on a unknown-to-remote codes Sony DSP processor).

Thanks for your rapid response early this morning. Insomnia drove me to get curious at 4AM (worrying about what I would get the seniors for remote control!).
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the "Big easy" is JP-1 capable, although i have seen them on ebay for really cheap prices. However, you might want to look at the Mill4 for the older folks. It's a 4/5 devicer with larger than normal keys. The digits are "numeral" shaped and 5/16th" high and 5/16th's+ wide. The downside is it's not backlit. They aren't terribly expensive (up to 15.00), and JP-1 ready. (Not a learner, but assuming you set it up for them maybe that's not an issue?)

Jim
donphillipe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suggested 8810W is not in the remotes list that is referenced as a downloadable spreadsheet. I assume that it is a JP1 remote, correct?
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, right out of the blister-pack as well

Jim
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8810w is identical to the 8811. The only difference is that Wal-Mart is the only one that sells the 8810w, and therefore all their competitors don't have to price match! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: