JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR PROBLEM with Learned Signals: file uploaded to Diagnosis

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: IR PROBLEM with Learned Signals: file uploaded to Diagnosis Reply with quote

Hey, I'm a rookie, but I have just made several succesful changes to my 2116 remote! But, in doing so, a signal I "learned" from an Onkyo remote to the INFO key on the 2116 (while in AUDIO mode) gave this error in IR.exe....

"This signal contains a section that IR doesn't know how to analyze. Please save this data and post it in the diagnostics section of the jp1 group, and post a message indicating that you have done so."

I have uploaded the file into the Diagnosis section. The filename is: "2116 cag-03.txt".

The signal I mapped to the INFO key was to change the Surround Sound setting on the Onlyo receiver. The key DOES work, in spite of the error I got. It toggles through about 5 different modes of sound settings.

Thanks to all the dedicated hackers that made this software possible - it's really great!

bugman
usblipitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: IR PROBLEM with Learned Signals: file uploaded to Diagno Reply with quote

Have you tried learning the signal more than once - is it a clean learn? Smile
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the original signal, it is pretty much what IR decodes it as, despite the message that IR "doesn't know how to analyze".

I'm pretty sure it is NEC1 though there is only enough there to know it's either NEC1 or NEC2 (and Onkyo does mix those two). It is device 210, subdevice 109, OBC 76 as decoded. You would be better off changing it to a KeyMove or part of an upgrade rather than keeping the learned signal.

Relative to the IR problem and/or remote problem shown by this signal, I'm confused. IR normally displays that message when both "Sent Once" sections are used without the "Sent Repeatedly". But only one sent once section is displayed there. I had suggested Mark change the display, but I thout he didn't. The remote itself normally uses both sent once sections only is the signal is too long for just one section. This signal doesn't look too long.

Before learning any more signals you might want to do a 981 reset on the remote (which deletes all your settings, but I assume they are backed up on the PC) because there may be something left over from some earlier failed learning attempt that confuses either IR or the remote on subsequentr learns.
bugman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Error gone, but how to move learned cmds to an upgrade? Reply with quote

I just re-learned the command as was suggested, and the next time I downloaded from remote it was fine - no error message.

I thought I read that it was better to make code changes part of an upgrade (vs learned cmds), but I'm kinda stuck there, and don't know what to do.

I now have 8 or 10 learned commands in the remote. They ARE working fine, and IR says there is still memory left, so I guess I could just leave them? Is there any other reason (other than memory savings) to get them out of learned commands? How do I move them to an upgrade?

Thanks in advance,
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is probably no reason to convert them as long as you don't want to use the extender and you're not short of learning memory.

A good learned signal, such as the sleep signal in your file in diagnosis, will work just as well as a KeyMove or part of an upgrade. A slightly worse learned signal, which still wouldn't show any error message in IR, might work fine from an ordinary key press but have problems when used in a macro. However, there is no specific reason to suspect your new learned signals have such problems and I don't know whether you even need to use any of them in macros.

Onkyo will be more confusing than most to put into a KeyMove or upgrade because the subdevice (and sometimes protocol) varies between signals. One of the existing Onkyo upgrades would be a good place to start, but it still would be significant effort for a beginner with no obvious benefit.

Of course I think the extenders have clear benefits for almost everyone (even though most people aren't using them). To get those benefits you must convert your learned signals to other forms.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't neccessarily have to move them to upgrades. IF, for instance, you have 8 learns for 4 different devices (ie 2-3 each) you could convert them to keymoves on the keymove tab in IR and delete the learns. If they are all for just one or 2 devices, I'd consider making an upgrade that would include them all. Since they are working, and if learning memory isn't critical now, you could simply just leave everything as-is. Basically there's no hard-set rule about whetehr or not to make an upgrade. I made one because i had plenty of upgrade memory left and actually only short one command from what was already set-up with a precanned setup code. However, i wasn't happy with the key assignments for some other functions so for me, the upgrade route became more worthwhile. You'll have to judge on your won what's the best route to take considering the total scope ofyour own circumstances.
Jim
bugman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for all your ideas.

I think I will just leave everything as-is for now since all is working fine (and I only know enough to be dangerous!).

Thanks again!

bugman
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: