JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is JP1 dead?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiveolddogs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Is JP1 dead? Reply with quote

It seems like JP1 capable remotes are disappearing. You used to be able to pick one up at Wal-Mart for under $20, but now we are stuck waiting for Rob to sell us one from his diminishing stock.

Has there been a concerted effort by manufaturers to eliminate JP1 remotes from the market place?

I have an 8811 which has become worn out, and I'm really not sure how to replace it. I think I may have to buy myself a Harmony. Sad
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not a JP1.2 remote, such as the 8820?
speaker.guy
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really care for the 8820, not enough keys. I have an almost new 8910, with batteries and manual, that I will sell for $15 shipped. PM me....
kcmurphy88

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that OFA is quite active in the rest of the world, but the Chinese company that has the exclusive rights in the USA & Canada doesn't seem all that interested in their new products.

The URC-7780 would make a great product in the USA with a proper US code base. It's a wonderful DirecTV DVR remote for example, plus it has a 4K flash, built-in JP1 1.2, backlight and well designed layout.

Can't buy it in the US though, because the Chinese company doesn't give a darn.
DirecTV since 1994 // HR20-700 (1TB) // HR21-700 (1TB) // Samsung PN59D7000 // Denon AVR3808CI // Panasonic DMP-BDT110 // Roku XDS // WD HDLive // RS15-1994 JP1.0 remote // Wired Ethernet // BA Micro90x 5.1
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcmurphy88 wrote:
The problem is that OFA is quite active in the rest of the world, but the Chinese company that has the exclusive rights in the USA & Canada doesn't seem all that interested in their new products.

The URC-7780 would make a great product in the USA with a proper US code base. It's a wonderful DirecTV DVR remote for example, plus it has a 4K flash, built-in JP1 1.2, backlight and well designed layout.

Can't buy it in the US though, because the Chinese company doesn't give a darn.

Are you sure it isn't an issue of price competition?

I don't know how non OFA universal remotes are priced outside of the USA. But I expect they cost a lot more than in the US.

OFA models in the US seem to cost less than comparable value OFA models outside the US but significantly more than comparable value (if you don't use JP1) non OFA models in the US.

The vast majority of OFA customers have never heard of JP1 and can't even understand most of the advanced features these remotes have without JP1. So there isn't much to justify the premium price over other brands.

If the price competition in universal remotes is less aggressive outside of the US, it makes sense for OFA to keep some of their higher models exclusively in the higher price markets (especially as those decisions probably haven't had time yet to change with recent currency shifts).
speaker.guy
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have a very good domestic product in the URC1056-L with backlight, but it is available mostly through cable companies....
greenough1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The URC1056-L, can be had on ebay as an atlas 5 day remote, with backlighting and learning, in a JP1.3 version. Check this link:

ebay link

Best,
jeff

Last edited by greenough1 on Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
kcmurphy88

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but the atlas is so very ugly. IMHO. The keys seem a bit oddly placed, too. "Learning" doesn't interest me either. Backlight is nice. But I'd just as soon keep my 15-1994s.

Yes the OFAs are costly overseas. Everything is expensive in the UK, even in pounds. But they seem to have a much better line. In the US they market them as cheap remotes, rather than spend a bit of money on software and an online database. There's this internet thing, see....
DirecTV since 1994 // HR20-700 (1TB) // HR21-700 (1TB) // Samsung PN59D7000 // Denon AVR3808CI // Panasonic DMP-BDT110 // Roku XDS // WD HDLive // RS15-1994 JP1.0 remote // Wired Ethernet // BA Micro90x 5.1
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the Silver-colored Atlas 1056-L pretty good-looking, although they are very rare on eBay.

I'm not sure what you mean about software, however. Even for the European OFA remotes, they offer no software to assist in programming them. The on-line wav-upgrade downloads are nice, but still a nuisance, since you can't pick and choose, they just force-feed you EVERY upgrade for that particular manufacturer's device(s) and it eats up your memory rather quickly.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Atlas has a nice layout. Too bad they didn't have a better paint job. The time warners are the worst with that big block of orange in the middle. One of my other providers has this area in red and its infinately more attractive.
greenough1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm attracted to the black atlas' remotes. I think it fits my hand well and has plenty of buttons. Maybe it's an aquired taste?

jeff
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenough1, can you do something with that link? prehaps like this:

Atlas on ebay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: