JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

dumb questions about Millenium 3 remote
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
n2deep

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the forum for all the help so far. My JP1 cable may arrive by Saturday. Once I get it I'll start playing and will definitely be looking for further support.

Steve
Scientific Atlanta 8000HD (dvr)
Philips HDTV
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just completed the first complete draft of the Mil3 RDF, this version has all sections completed: [url=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/RDF%20Files/ML30ML30&20(Millenium&203).rdf]ML30ML30 (Millenium 3.rdf[/url]

Just FYI, the device buttons are the "power" buttons for this remote.
n2deep

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My JP1 cable arrived and I'm back from visiting family & friends. So... it's time for me to get going on my project again. Of course I've found myself straight in "jp1 jail".

I'm trying to do something simple. I have my Millenium 3 remote which has 3 devices but only tv, cable & vcr device types/buttons (btw: I don't have a vcr on this system so I guess I have one device free). I am using a JVC th-m45 home theater system and I want the volume control on the M3 to work the volume on my JVC system (this remote is for my wife).

I have an 8910 and I learned the volume +- keys. I downloaded it using IR and I have the following in the learned keys section.

# Protocol Device Subdev OBC Hex cmd EFC Misc
1 JVC 123 11 2F 059

Then in the raw data section I have

Frequency = 37735

Sent once when key is pressed:
+8452 -4236 +530 -1590 +530 -1590 +530 -530 +530 -530 +530 -530 +530 -1590 +530 -530 +530 -1590 +530 -1590 +530 -1590 +530 -530 +530 -1590 +530 -530 +530 -530 +530 -530 +530 -530 +530 -21716

Send repeatedly when key is held:
+530 -1590 +530 -1590 +530 -530 +530 -530 +530 -530 +530 -1590 +530 -530 +530 -1590 +530 -1590 +530 -1590 +530 -530 +530 -1590 +530 -530 +530 -530 +530 -530 +530 -530 +530 -21716

Can anyone help me with understanding this data and the relationship between the structured data above and the stuff being sent? Seems like a lot of data is being sent!!

I decided to then take a look at RM (I assumed I would have to use RM or KM to get the new commands into the M3. I then hit a brick wall. My wife descibed me as - you look puzzled - and started laughing while saying. "All I need is the volume keys to work the volume - that's easy enough isn't it?"

Can anyone give me some insight on how to proceed?

Thanks,
Steve
Philips HDTV
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much always ignore the Frequency and Sent once and such sections of a learned signal.

If you have a clean decode (as you do in this case) the clean decode is all you need. If you don't have a clean decode you probably need help from an expert who will want a copy of the whole saved eeprom image, from which he can look that "sent once" etc. stuff himself if he needs it.

Usually all you need is the EFC. If you already found a setup code that mostly works the device, then the protocol and device will probably match the contents of that setup code and if they do you can just create a keymove with the EFC number.

If you don't have a setup code and need to create an upgrade you should first check a few learned signals to see if the protocol and device numbers are constant. That may determine whether you need some sort of combo upgrade. Assuming it isn't a combo you use that protocol and device on the setup sheet of KM or RM and either OBC or EFC (usually OBC is better) on the functions sheet of KM or RM.

It usually helps to post the protocol and the device number (as you have here with JVC 123) to see if someone knows where to get the set of OBC numbers either easier or more complete than what you might get be learning all the signals on your remote. If you don't get a good response and/or you don't want to wait, learn the rest of the signals (in batches if they don't fit), check the protocol and device of the decodes and record the OBC of each function.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if mark has added Mill3 support in KM yet. however, if he hasn't you should still be able to use RM to make any upgrades you need. Just be sure that you get the latest RDF from the yahoo files>rdfs. Nils may not have added the pix part so you may not be able to use that feature yet.

You should be able to set VPT for whatever device you have the receiver on. If I recall right, there is no "audio" button for this so you likely put it on "VCR". Unless you created your receiver setup code as a vcr device, you may break VPT and need to use keymoves.

If this is a wife-specific remote, and all she needs to control is the basic parts of the receiver, the TV and the cable box, create a "VCR" upgrade for the receiver with what she'll need (Volumes, inputs, etc.).
As far as I know, creating an "audio" type upgrade *may* not be a possibility.

Jim
n2deep

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I'm having some success Smile but I think there's a little bit of luck shining on me...

I ignored the frequency and sent once stuff and just looked at the codes. I couldn't find the JVC codes already mapped out (but I didn't look very hard) so I learned a couple of the other keys on my master remote. Looks like I have at least two devices. The vol and mute buttons are device 163 and the transport keys are 239.

I started slowly though and used RM to enter the codes for vol+ (246), vol- (250) and power (122). I setup the functions in the (unused) VCR device, mapped the buttons and copied the output to IR. (I cheated a little by copying the m4 image and map files to files called millenium3.jpg and millenium3.map so RM would start but I assume this should not cause any issues yet). I then switch VPT to VCR in IR and uploaded to the M3 remote. Unfortunately it didn't work (I think VPT only works if it's set to TV on this remote) so I decided to switch off VPT and keymapped the volume keys for the TV to the VCR keys and it still didn't work.

I then started experimenting and switched to using KM. I went through the same exercise except I chose the M4 remote as KM doesn't know an M3 yet. I looked at the output and it was different. I copied it to IR and tried again. It worked!!!

The output from them both was:
KM = 34 00 51 3A 87 07 00 17 (worked)
RM = 34 00 51 87 07 00 17 (didn't work)

I checked both and it seems the 3A is generated as fixed data in KM but RM has fixed data greyed out and therefore not generated. Both have the protocol set to JVC and have the protocol ID set to 00 34.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Steve
Philips HDTV
TAZ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy,

I found out about JP1's from a friend of mine and Ordered A URC-9960 (OFA Kameleon) for $65 after shipping, it turns out they're back ordered and I won't get it for about 2 weeks. Not a big deal. So I decided to check the remotes around the house and I found that my Time Warner Cable Remot has a 6 pin header on it labeled JP1. Did a little searching and find this thread....

Enough droning on.

Reading through here and reading the RDF generated by Rob, I do not see any "Audio" Device Type Aliases, and I do not believe the remote is EFC cabable.

All I want to do is setup the Volume Control to work w/ my Denon AVR-3300 (let's say in Punch Through Mode using the VCR Device Type)

Is there any way possible to do it with the Mill-3?

TAZ Twisted Evil
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taz,
You're correct, the Mill3 doesn't support any audio codes, but there is a work-around.
Use KM or RM and define an upgrade as a "cable" device for your Denon receiver. Then use that on any device button (redefined as a cable button if you choose OTHER than the Cable button). Using "cable"as the device type lets you define the maximum number functions/buttons before having to resort to keymoves. You may then use VPT set to that device key, or make three keymovers for the Volume commands (+,-,and mute) to those buttons in the actual Cable device functions/buttons. Note that if you do do it this way, your Cable's former volume keys are effectively dead in the Cable mode IF you decide to watch Cable and not have the sound come from your HT system. The other option would be to keymove Volume commands for the receiver to unused buttons in Cable mode, or keys which had functions which you never use. At any rate, making a device upgrade as a "Cable" device will allow you to get your Denon receiver programmed in your Mill3. ! The remote won't know or care that you fudged a cable code to be a receiver code.

Credit to Jim G for this answer
TAZ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I just created a starter RDF for the Millenium 3. The button codes should be correct, but the stuff in the SETTINGS section is probably wrong, and the keymaps, etc are just copied from a Mil4 RDF, so they're probably wrong too.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/RDF%20Files/ML30ML30%20(Millenium%203).rdf

I also re-formatted the IR dump posted above into a complete (useable) file:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Diagnosis%20Area/millenium3.txt

Anybody know what happened to this RDF files? It's not in the 116 release.

TAZ
CoolGui

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Me too? Reply with quote

I'm really curious too. I've been trying to make an RDF for a while for this thing but I've gotten nowhere. I guess if I don't hear anything soon, I'll try again, but I'm not very good with this... Smile
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob posted a fairly complete RDF back in December (see above in this thread), but it seems to have fallen through the cracks since then. I'll have a look around and see if I have a copy somewhere.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just created a new RDF using the info posted in this thread, so the links quoted work again.
CoolGui

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob, I'm about to try it now.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that this is a "starter" RDF. It's good enough for you to be able to download from your remote and read the data, but alot of the detail might be incorrect.
CoolGui

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to work fine. Basically this remote uses the device keys just to power on devices. All I really wanted to do was be able to load my stereo to work on the volume. I had already gotten 995 to work for a macro to turn all the devices on. It all seems to work well together. I'll post here if I find anything or am able to add anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: