JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Protocol for Onkyo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Protocol for Onkyo Reply with quote

Didn’t want to bother the professionals... well, no luck Sad
I discovered this site a couple days ago, made the cable yesterday and just finished testing first device update. Like a charm! But the next one turned out to be out of my league. Onkyo TX-SR601 uses 2 different sub-devices. I chuckle and pick NEC1 Combo protocol (saw it in TX-SR600 update at JP1 group). Wait a second… it also switches between NEC1 and NEC2. No problemo, here comes Device Combiner! Uh-oh, there is a “problemo”; it requires both protocols to use 1-byte commands. If I’m not mistaken combo protocols use 2 bytes. Is there any solution available? I’ve learned all the buttons from OEM remote and prepared a table with EFCs to upload in case somebody wants to take a look.
sfhub

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NEC1 combo protocol is really just the NEC1 protocol except they
allow you to use byte2 to specify the subdevice.

Create two NEC1 devices with the appropriate main/subdevices and write
down the appropriate "Fixed Data"

Do the same for NEC2 device(s).

Using Device Combiner enter the protocol IDs (which will probably be
00 5A for NEC1 and NEC2) and the appropriate "Fixed Data" from above.

00 5A "fixed data for device #1"
00 5A "fixed data for device #2"
00 5A "fixed data for device #3"

On the Functions sheet, enter the appropriate EFC and byte2 as 0, 1, or 2
depending on which device corresponds with the EFC.

This is just a generic answer for using Device Combiner. I'm not sure if
there is an easier way for combining more than 2 NEC devices.
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That was easy, thanks! One funny thing happened though... Original remote has a lot of buttons. To preserve as much as possible I used some shifted functions. Putting input selections (8 altogether) onto number keys looked like a logical solution. Now, I want to switch to input 4. I press "P", "4" and... nothing happens. Of course, it waits for EFC! So, the only way to use shifted digits is in macro? Now I get it, this is why extender does not support direct EFC keying - it has to support shifted digits instead.

Last edited by wwwoholic on Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwwoholic wrote:
I press "P", "4" and... nothing happens.
Actually, if you want to put macros on number keys you can. To activate the macro though you have to hit the "P" key twice.
JP1Files
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and can you upload your device upgrade to the yahoo JP1 files area? This way the next user to need it will have it thanks to you! Good work!
JP1Files
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back Sad
Looks like I don't get something about protocol updates. Now i'm struggling with Pioneer. OEM remote sends either simple command with device 162, no sub, or two commands in a row, with same device but different EFC in the second one. Found "Pioneer 2CMD" in KM. Doesn't work.
I went through the files on yahoo. Found some using 3DEV. I believe I can make it work, however it is too inconvenient.
I learned some keys from 2116 to Onkyo OEM, then learned them back to 2116 and downloaded. IR says the protocol is correct: Pioneer, the device is 162 and no sub. But EFCs are all wrong.
What is more interesting, that ALL keys were 2-part, even those that were programmed as single. It is like the protocol does not recognize that EFC equals 2nd Byte (as described in protocol help) and sends two commands all the time.
I thought maybe 2nd Byte should be entered as hex and decided to try, but then noticed something even more interesting - KM has two columns on Functions sheet and it converts EFC to OBC (or backwards) as you type them. In this case all OBCs were wrong! I switched to other protocols, entered the same EFC - everything OK. Strange.

P.S. Please, disregard this message. I just re-created the upgrade using OBCs and it works. Probably the note in KM's "protocol help" for 3DEV should be extended to 2CMD as well.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was alot of topic drift in this thread, so I have split it up into seperate topics.

The Device Combiner questions have moved to here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=606

And the Interface Problem posts have moved to here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=605
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully, this would be the last my post into this topic, so we can give it a rest Wink

I have finished with device upgrades and moving forward to extender. In the meantime as promised I uploaded the following devices to the yahoo files:

Onkyo TX-SR601 Receiver
Pioneer PD-F1007 CD changer
Technosonic DVD-204 DVD player

My other upgrades are just a little tossing buttons around and mostly of no use to anybody else. Cheers!
Chuck_IV

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwwoholic,
I am trying to use your Onkyo 601 KM file with my Onkyo 501. Everything works great, but for some reason, in order to change the mode(ie. Video 1, Video 2, CD, DVD), I always have you hit "P"(shift) before pressing one of the numeric keys, that those functions are assigned to. The way you explained it, you should only have to press "P" if you want to actually use the number.

Plus when looking at it in KM, the functions are assinged to the non shifted keys, like they are supposed to.

Any ideas how to change it so I don;t have to hit the shift key before hitting a number, to change modes?

Thanx.
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my original idea was to preserve digit keys with their original meaning and use shifted digits to switch inputs. As I pointed out before, the idea wasn't that good because P turned those keys into EFCs. In KM file that I uploaded to Yahoo device switching commands assigned to regular buttons 0-7 (8 and 9 are used for sound mode switching).

So, you shouldn't have to press P to switch input. If you do, check your key sets. e.g. If you use extender2 then you might have configured channel keys to remain assigned to last device (like cable or satellite) even after you've hit "Audio" button.

Basically, the main value of my upgrade file is in the complete list of EFC codes / functions of the OEM remote. You can assign those functions any way you like. In my final setup I never even have to press "Audio" button, as all device selection is done automatically in macro. e.g. I just do a "long key press" on "SAT" button and receiver got connected to video 3 input, at the same time digit buttons got assigned to SAT device.
Chuck_IV

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out why it was doing what it was. I had a bunch of key moves to the digit keys, from my old receiver, still in the key moves list, that I missed. Once I deleted those, the modes were working off the non shifted digit key.

Thanx for the response and keymaster files.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: