JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Code for Zenith HDTV set top box?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Gilliland

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Code for Zenith HDTV set top box? Reply with quote

I bought a One For All 8910 today and I've been able to set it up for all of my devices except one. I can't figure out what code to use for my Zenith 420 HDTV receiver. I'm not even sure what device type it should fall under.

It's not a cable box, not a satellite box, not a TV, not an audio receiver, etc.

Does anyone know how to go about getting the One For All remote to recognize the Zenith 420? I expect that I'll eventually want to start using JP1 with this remote, but for now I'm just trying to get the basic functionality working.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is there's a file for the Zenith HDV-420 in the Files section. The bad news is it won't do you any good without a JP1 cable and the software tools.

In the meantime, you can try CBL_SAT/0000 or CBL_SAT/0525 to see if any of the buttons work, even if just partially.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Code for Zenith HDTV set top box? Reply with quote

Jim Gilliland wrote:
..I expect that I'll eventually want to start using JP1 with this remote..
Now would be a good time to start. Smile

My plan at this moment is to extol the virtues of JP1 and try to convert you. Think of me as your personal missionary. Only I carry a cable instead of a bible.

Without JP1, you can learn a few codes from your OEM remote to your 8910, and that is about as far as you can get unless someone happens to have a OFA setup code for your zenith HDTV.

JP1 can easily decode your OEM's signal and allow you to make your own "setup code" (we call them device upgrades). In fact, you can set it up so that the functions go on the keys you want them on. Some devices, like your HDTV, may have the ability to accept discrete on and off codes that you might want to use in a macro; but zenith was too cost conscious to make buttons for them. In addition to discrete codes, there are a plethora of other goodies: long/short keypress protocols, toggle protocols, LCD labelling protocols, and more.

JP1 cables are available for $14 from mr hovis at www.hovisdirect.com ! Get 'em while they're hot ! er, hovis ! .. no, hot ! Mr. Green
JP1Files
Jim Gilliland

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll order one. But I'm going to be away for a bit, so I won't be able to do much with this until mid-January. In the meantime, I may try to call OFA to see if they have an update for the 420.

BTW, I did try the satbox codes, but they didn't work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: