JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-6540-6541 audio zapper 2kbyte

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rasta4i

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: URC-6540-6541 audio zapper 2kbyte Reply with quote

Hi,

I have installed a 2kbyte eeprom in the URC-6540 remote.
But somehow the remote is still set to 1 kbyte, since it won't use the whole 2kbyte. I heard some remote uses a code to initialize to eeprom. But how do I enable the 2kbyte with this remote?

There is no rdf file for the 6540 remote. I tried to make one, by editing urc-7540 rdf file, but it doesn't work good. Some hex code doesn't make any sense. Is there a document on how to make a rdf file?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a valid RDF, how do you know that it's only using 1k?

Did you do a 9-8-1 reset to initialize the EEPROM after installing it, and if so did the LED blink 2 sets of 2 blinks?
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really isn't a good document on how to make an rdf from scratch. IR, however does contain a file about the FORMAT an rdf has to use to work with IR. Someone (Nils?) still needs to append that document to make an rdf RM compliant.

Since you've already changed the eeprom, you'll need to initialize the eeprom. Assuming you used a NEW eeprom (vs removing a 2k from a different ueic remote), you can do that by: Setup** holding down whatever is the "manual programming" key untill the red led blinks twice, then 9-8-1. If it's a used eeprom, you may want to do an IR>advanced>purge>upload, then the setup**, 9-8-1 reset. That'll give you a good baseline (see IR>tools>baseline) to see incremental changes when you do manual programming, one thing at-a-time. That should give you a "virgin" configuration. Save that, you may want to reload it later.

You already know the remotes Model name (You need that for the first line under [General]. In the raw data tab, the first two "cells" should be the checksums. the second is usually the complement of the first. What those entries actually are aren't really important for you, the MCU keeps track of that.
Generally, if it's a s3c80 chip remote, the next 8 "cells" will be the signature. You'll need that for the rdf file name. Those will be hex designations of ascii characters. You can use a hex>ascii conversion chart. As an example, the Millenium 3, "W00" remote has 4D 4C 33 30 4D 4C 33 30 in these 8 cells. referring to the hex>ascii chart, that converts to: ML30ML30 (ML three zero, doubled).

You'll need the hex or decimal keycodes for each of the keys. You'll need to take the remote apart and look at the trace side of the PCB for this. Hopefully, for each button space you'll see an Sxx number printed. The Sxx designations are actually OCTAL format. As an aid, there's a Notepad file at the yahoo files you can do that have the conversions already done for you; all you need to do is type in the actual button names as found on either the opposite side of the PCB, or the corresponding buttons on the outside of the remote. IF an actual physical button is missing from the order in the chart, for now, use <missing>.

For eeprom size, a 1K is $400. 2K is $800

Your specific remote *may* have a "split" signature. GENERALLY, the second half, if split, may be found as "fixed data" at the end of the keymove/macro section. This is more commonly seen with 6805 processor remotes than s3c80 processor remotes.

There, that should give you enough for a start. Once you get this part ironed out, we can proceed with getting more rdf data. It wouldn't hurt to post the initialized eeprom IR dump to diagnosis.

Jim
rasta4i

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying guys.

When using ir.exe, you can see that memmory from adresses 0400 are not used (FF). Since this remote is a zapper, it has no "numbers". The only way to setup the remote is, channel up, down, voume up and down.
I must see the equivalent for 981.

About the rdf file.
This what I did:

[General]
Name=URC-6540/6541 One For All 4
EepromSize=$800
AdvCodeAddr=$016..$0FF
UpgradeAddr=$100..$7FC
MacroSupport=0
Processor=S3C80
RAMAddr=$8000
RDFSync=3 <-------- I'm not sure what this is
ImageMap=URC-6540.map,URC-6541.map

Ok that part a understood, but now the buttons:

[Buttons]
MAGIC[Setup]=$14, Menu=$13, EXIT=$53, Power=$03 <------ what do the value represent?

[ButtonMaps]
??

[DigitMaps]
??

Anyway a happy new year
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rasta4i wrote:
When using ir.exe, you can see that memmory from adresses 0400 are not used (FF).

That doesn't necessarily mean it's only recognizing 1k of EEPROM. If it was, I'd expect the upper memory contents to match the lower half.

Quote:
Since this remote is a zapper, it has no "numbers". The only way to setup the remote is, channel up, down, voume up and down.
I must see the equivalent for 981.

Without number buttons, doing a 9-8-1 will be difficult! Wink

Try this: remove the batteries. Press the Power button for a couple of seconds. Reinsert the batteries and watch the LED on the remote to see what the blink pattern is.

Quote:

That tell the current version of IR whether it can use the RDF or not. The current RDFSync value is "3".

Quote:
Power=$03 <------ what do the value represent?

That's the hex value of the button code.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rasta4i wrote:
Thanks for replying guys.

About the rdf file.
This what I did:

That started with IR version 3.xx and continues to hold even though IR is now 4.01. UNTIL Mark changes the structure of IR significantly enough to warrant a new IR rdf format structure, we'll continue to use sync=3. He'll post a notice if it changes.

ImageMap=URC-6540.map,URC-6541.map

**IR doesn't use this, this is for RM support. It'd be a good idea to take a decent pix of the remote you have and get it to Nils, or post to Yahoo>photos.

Ok that part a understood, but now the buttons:

[Buttons]
MAGIC[Setup]=$14, Menu=$13, EXIT=$53, Power=$03 <------ what do the value represent?

**As mentioned in my former post, those are the keycodes, in your example in hex format rather than decimal. If you use the Sxx conversion chart posted at yahoo, those hex values will already be there for you. With no "numeral" keys, you'll likely see a lot of missing keycodes from the sequence. You're free to use either the decimal or hex keycode format, or even mix them, as long as the hex format is preceeded with the "$" symbol. I'd recommend doing them in sequential order (ie start with $00), it makes it easier on you to keep track.

[ButtonMaps]
??
** Those are the buttons available for each "device mode". You've got a ways to go to even worry about these.

[DigitMaps]
??
** since you don't have "digits" (numeral keys) this is moot.

Jim
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded a manual for the 6540. It uses 6-digit setup codes using only numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4. I'm not sure if this is going to limit the ability to create JP1 upgrades for it since they all use the standard 4-digit (0000-2047) codes.

It also states that the remote supports learning! Wink
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
I just downloaded a manual for the 6540. It uses 6-digit setup codes using only numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4. I'm not sure if this is going to limit the ability to create JP1 upgrades for it since they all use the standard 4-digit (0000-2047) codes.

In a normal JP1 remote that number 0000-2047 is stored as a 12 bit quantity. It seems a fairly safe assumption that 6 digits each of which is 1 to 4 (in other words 6 two bit quantities) would be stored as the same 12 bit quantity.

If you had a JP1 connection working and compared the JP1 visible setup code to the 6 digit setup code, the bit sequence should be obvious, and it should be possible to invent simple (for those comfortable with binary or hex numbering) rules to translate between the 6 digit numbers and the JP1 setup codes. But if you had a JP1 connection working you probably could ignore the 6 digit setup code numbers entirely and just use JP1.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rasta4i wrote:
When using ir.exe, you can see that memmory from adresses 0400 are not used (FF).

If the remote really had a 1k EEPROM chip, the last line of raw data that you would see in IR.exe would have address 3F0, not 7F0.

Those FFs simply mean that that portion of memory hasn't been used for anything yet, but it's still present.

Mark Pierson wrote:

If you look closely, you can probably reduce those numbers down to the real 4-digit decimal setup codes.

First, reduce each digit by 1 (ie, 1 becomes 0, 2 becomes 1, etc). What you now have is a number in base 4. If you know how to convert from one base to another, convert that number to base 10 and you have the regular setup code.

(Note: this hasn't always been the case, so this won't work for the older remotes without numeric keypads)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: