JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RS 2116 Upgrade for Panasonic DMR E80H

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: RS 2116 Upgrade for Panasonic DMR E80H Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm working on an upgrade to my 2116 to control a Panasonic DMR E80H DVD recorder. DVD setup code 490 provides a fair amount of functionality (channel up/down and record don't function properly), but none of the special functions associated with the recorder are available. I've learned the most important of these functions and assigned them to various buttons on the remote, and this works fine for me, but now I'm just about out of learning memory. I've also used quite a bit of keymove/macro memory for other reasons. Finally, I'm curious about the whole upgrade thing, so, it's time for an upgrade, right?

I'd like to define the upgrade to assign recorder functionality to the buttons I don't need for this device. These buttons include (among others): sleep, PIP, swap, move, record, +100, and freeze. I want to assign the correct (for the DMR E80H) EFC for "record" to the record button.

I've gone through the process of using Keymap Master and IR, but I've stopped short of actually uploading to the remote because Keymap Master insists on defining keymoves for the above buttons. I'm not sure I understand this; it seems to defeat the purpose of building an upgrade. Am I missing something?

By the way, I have reviewed garbern's upgrade to the URC-881x / 01x / 601x for the DMR E60 posted at Yahoo. I doesn't look like I'm missing anything, but the URC remote upgrade doesn't seem to require as many keymoves as 2116.

Thanks for any help,

Ed
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: RS 2116 Upgrade for Panasonic DMR E80H Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
I've gone through the process of using Keymap Master and IR, but I've stopped short of actually uploading to the remote because Keymap Master insists on defining keymoves for the above buttons. I'm not sure I understand this; it seems to defeat the purpose of building an upgrade. Am I missing something?

Different Device Types yield different sets of available buttons in the default button map. This also varies from one remote model to another. Take a look at KM's Layout sheet and you'll see what buttons are available in what mode. On the Buttons sheet, any button preceded by an "@" indicates it is NOT part of the default map, and therefore will create a key move if a function is assigned to it. Unfortunately, none of the JP1 tools let you get around the default button map limitations.
Ed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. It makes sense to me now. I used a "VCR" device instead of a "DVD" device, and that made more buttons available for the upgrade. The upgrade now requires only two keymoves, and I can probably reduce that further with a little thought.

Ed
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that the downside of using the "wrong" device type with an LCD remote like the 15-2116, is the "wrong" device type will display when you use this upgrade. (Ie, when you press the DVD button, the screen will read "VCR")
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
when you press the DVD button, the screen will read "VCR"

Hey, Steve!... how does one fix this? Wink
usblipitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
The Robman wrote:
when you press the DVD button, the screen will read "VCR"

Hey, Steve!... how does one fix this?
White out... You use white-out. Smile Fast Drying, Premium Coverage White Out. If there is no white out in your local area, then use Liquid Paper. I have found that "bond-white" is best. Just white out the "VCR" label, and, using a number 2 pencil, write in "DVD." Mr. Green
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
White out... You use white-out.

I prefer Post-It notes. They're easier to change when you go from the DVD to the VCR. Plus, you can stick them on the back of the remote when not in use so you don't lose them. Laughing
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I think I'll get some black plastic paint and paint over the LCD. That way, I won't have to teach my wife what Post-It note to put on the remote when she wants to watch the DVD. Very Happy

Happy New Year,

Ed
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was egging Steve on to tell you all the benefits of the extender for the 2116. One of its many features is a special protocol that can be used to change what is displayed on the LCD.
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see. I actually spent some time trying to understand the 2116 extender awhile back. The last remaining "wife problem" I have with the remote is that it takes too long to fire off my macros. I do the usual stuff with macros on device keys, and it takes awhile for the remote to execute all the instructions. My wife thinks she can point the remote at the system, push the button, and then immediately bury the remote in the furniture somewhere. She complains when it doesn't work that way, and she won't listen to me when I tell her to keep the remote pointed at our system until the red light quits blinking. Her "fix" is to hold down the device key until everything gets set up.

Anyway, I was reading that the extender offers the capability to shorten the execution time for macros. If I can make it do that, I might just go back and work a little harder trying to figure it out. Steve, do you think I should give that a try?

Thanks, Ed
usblipitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll bite!

There is a special protocol in the 2116 extender called the "Custom Mode Name Protocol." Using this protocol, you can customize the name of the mode on the LCD screen. The name can be 2 lines long, with 5 characters on the top line and 4 characters on the bottom line, if memory serves me correctly. So you can give your devices any names you like. TIVO1, TIVO2, FIDO, whatever you like. If you want to do it and need more details, leave a response, or read about it in the extender zip file in a text file called CustomModeName.txt I believe.

Guess I will go return the bottle of white out to wal-mart. I wonder if they sell wire cutters...

Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
I wonder if they sell wire cutters...

If they don't I'm sure you can find a pair at RadioShack. Make sure the sales person recommends the right batteries for them, however. Shocked
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:

Anyway, I was reading that the extender offers the capability to shorten the execution time for macros.

Yes it can.

Maybe I'm too picky, but I think the "fast" macros you get with extenders are annoyingly slow and the normal macros without extenders are even slower, so slow they're not worth using.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
Steve, do you think I should give [extenders] a try?

Being a relative newbie here, I feel honored to be asked!

IMHO, I really think extenders are worth the one-time investment in time and effort it takes to learn to use them. And the JP1 forum will always be here to answer questions, thanks to Rob and all the other experts.
JP1Files
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
Guess I will go return the bottle of white out to wal-mart. I wonder if they sell wire cutters...
Well, if not, then it's possible they'll have a 8810w remote, which would also cure the problem. Smile
usblipitor wrote:
And the JP1 forum will always be here to answer questions, thanks to Rob and all the other experts.
Would you like some batteries to go with that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: