JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Programming 8820 from scratch! Your chance to influence it.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Symbol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that makes a great deal more sense.

Thanks for researching it.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symbol wrote:
BTW. Large thanks to whoever figured out the 8820 schematic. They have saved me a long and arduous task.
That long and arduous task was mine.
Symbol wrote:
Also, if anyone knows it: What does the circuit around pin 4 on the processor (PTB3) do?
John already answered this question (it's for the internal "modem" in some models). However, I can assure you that the URC-8820 remote is wired up as shown in the schematic.
Symbol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I will thank you directly with pleasure!

Thank you mr_d_p_gumby!
bvwelch

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:

1) Put the IRP understanding engine inside the universal remote (obviously much harder programming task than keeping that engine in a PC program). Then store all the protocols you want in the remote in IRP notation. That is much more concise than the relatively concise way UEI stores protocols. So if you wanted hundreds of protocols in a universal remote the overhead of the engine would be more than paid for by the savings in individual protocols. So you could fit much more in the same flash memory.

I have wanted to do this myself. I've spent more than a few minutes pondering your notation, and trying to think of an implementation.

I'd be interested in helping with this effort, and I think I have the necessary experience to make a useful contribution. But I also have a "day job", so I would only be able to work on this occasionally.

I'll sure need to ask a lot of questions about the IRP notation itself.

And also, we'll need to come up with some method of testing. And some regression tests. Perhaps some variation of the IPCapture program could help us.

I'm not (yet) familiar with the JP1 cable for the 8820, but perhaps the regression tests could be automated-- the PC program would send a request over the JP1 cable asking that a certain function be performed, and then the (modified) IRCapture program would check and see if the correct IR sequence was sent. Errors would be logged, and the procedure could run unattended for hours.

William
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to help with any answers about the IRP notation.
StepUp2TheMyke

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: JP1.2 for URC-8820 compatibility? Reply with quote

I just purchase a URC-8820 they were on sale for a while at MCM electronics. If I build the JP1.2 interface on this Web Site is it backwards compatable with the JP1.1 protocol or will I always need 2 different interfaces? I can't seem to get a clear answer on this?
kupakai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you build a JP1.x cable which is in this document, it will be compatible with both JP1.2 and JP1.1 remotes. JP1.2 cable is just JP1.x with three components removed.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that the JP1.1 interface is NOT the same thing as the JP1 interface. JP1.1 is an uncommon interface for this group.

The cables that support JP1.1 and JP1.2 do NOT support JP1. You still need a different cable for JP1.

BTW so far as I understand, JP1.3 is not a different interface standard. It is a JP1.2 interface with a different CPU than the JP1.2 remotes.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:

BTW so far as I understand, JP1.3 is not a different interface standard. It is a JP1.2 interface with a different CPU than the JP1.2 remotes.
I believe so, since my JP1.2 interface reads my JP1.3 Atlas remote just fine. Wink

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've bought an 8820 then you need a JP1.2 interface. For most of the older remotes you need a JP1 interface. They have the same 6-hole connector but are otherwise completely different.

JP1.1 seems to be an evolutionary dead-end. JP1.3, as stated above can still use a JP1.2 cable. Forget about the JP1.x interface.

The 8820 is good. You can put macros on the device keys (so a long press can be set up to change TV inputs, for instance), it's got a fair bit of learning memory and an extender is under development.

Since the 8820 is internally the same as the 10820 you can easily control an additional two devices by, say, putting SAT on [Shift]-CBL and AUX2 on [Shift]-AUX1.
StepUp2TheMyke

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: JP1.X Interface up and running on Windows x64 and URC-8820. Reply with quote

Successfull communication with the URC-8820, JP1.X interface and Windows x64. JP1 Parallel cable still will not function with Windows x64. The new interface seems to be imune to the driver problems with Windows x64. I Made a copy of factory reset 981 with IR 701 and URC-8820 successfully. Ready for furthur input by this web site, remote is running Zenith TV, Sony DVD, and NEO MP3 player.
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: